Kettlebells For Improving Grip/functional Strength

2000rawtotal

The powermax Kb's are not as well crafted as ddoor.  The handle is thinker, and they do waork the grip more, but it also changes the physics of the KB, most especially in snatches.  Also, the paint starts to chip and fall off after a month or so.

Well we all don't have THe BIg $ to spend On dd kettelbells. :cry SO I guess my big handled, paint chipped kettelbells with bad Physics will have to do. :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blarg

• DarkGenbu

• Rekx

• cmedwin

I have a DD 24k and a 16-24-32k powermax and the single DD cost me more than the 3 piece set of PM. They are all just big chunks of steel - as aerodymic and shapely as a brick. You pick them up, you spin them around, they hit you in the leg, they hurt. Use what you have, buy what you want and can afford. They all work if you do.

I agree get your grip strong enough to hold them and buy a can of paint $1.99 at ace hardware.

The powermax Kb's are not as well crafted as ddoor.  The handle is thinker, and they do waork the grip more, but it also changes the physics of the KB, most especially in snatches.  Also, the paint starts to chip and fall off after a month or so.

I was thinking of the girevy KB's that I saw listed in the London sites that Doctordeath linked. Those aren't Powermax are they?

Also, I'm curious what changes there are in the physics, particularly in snatches, and what are the negatives you might experience because of those changes. For instance, do your wrists get banged up more, do swings get easier or harder, etc? Without specifics, I'm kind of still left floundering as to how to evaluate the situation.

Yeah I was wondering that too.  They look sleek and cool, and considering the expense of DD KB's, might be in line with those prices or cheaper even with shipping.

But I'd like to hear if there are any downsides to using the girevoy sport type kettlebells.  Balance, grip, whatever -- I mean there must be good things and bad things either way.

They do look nice! But I think the cost would be prohibitive.

A 32k costs (rounded off) $172 US. Shipping could be out of sight. Let`s compare

to an aluminum handle gripper. I paid $10 shipping for an RB gripper from a

member here that lives in the UK. The gripper weighs about 8 0zs. You do the math on the Kb. :yikes

A 32k from which site? Also, the shipping prices are really high here, too! I can only imagine what the price would be like from Europe. It does seem, though, that shipping prices change an awful lot depending on which vendor you buy from even here in the States.

You might want to ask your question to grip board member Brett Jones a certified kettlebell instructor and a red nail bender.He would probably have the answers to KB's and grip strength your looking for.

I've got to admit that i'm somewhat perplexed by how seriously some people are taking the whole "shape of Kettlebells" argument.

Its a lump of cast iron for goodness sake not a Swiss watch

I've used the dragondoor bells and two types made in Australia and all i can say is that I don't care which ones i use because in the long term the effect is the same!

I've even used 2 KBs from different manufacturers with different handle geometry at the same time.

And for what its worth i've found lots of snatches with a heavy KB to work wonders for my ability to close grippers.

I went from 1/2" on the #2 to closing it without any real practice on the #2.

I had given up on grippers for a few months to focus on KB snatches in preparation for the RKC course. I did lots of snatches and then 3 workouts after the RKC course i closed the #2 for the first time.

Thanks for your input, Octogen. What you say makes a lot of sense, of course, but to hear some people tell it, every kettlebell but the type they favor is practically radioactive.