Kettlebells For Improving Grip/functional Strength

2000rawtotal

Hi to everyone.

I am new to the board and was wondering if anyone has tried the Ironhorse Kettlebells from PDA or the Kettlestack(s) from www.kettlestack.com.

I am looking to increase functional strength. I don't want to order regular kettlebells as they are very very expensive when you have to order a number of them at once.

If anyone has any input into adjustable kettlebells it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan :help

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blarg

• DarkGenbu

• Rekx

• cmedwin

I don't like the uneven shape you create with stackable kettlebells, as I don't want all the weight concentrated into an edge when I do KB moves. That said, they ARE ridiculously expensive.

I very much like the adjustable kettlebells at USKettlebell.com. They too are expensive, but they create a perfectly smooth shape and are adjustable in weight in small increments from 16 to 32 kg, effectively mimicking the cost of at least three standard sizes, and smoothing the weight transition between them.. Plus there are some good package deals. I'm saving up for a pair of those now, to be bought with Steven Cotter's training DVD's as part of the bonus package..

Kettlebells are much heavier than the clubs most use. They're both excellent tools, each "better" in their own ways for certain things.

As are Bodybars. They can get quite heavy, their padding is very high quality and makes them easy to handle, and you can lever with them and use them for swings and ballistic shocks by snapping them the way you would if you were a martial artist training with a staff. I have a 18 lb. one, and since it's so long, I can get a lot of leverage use with it. It's also an excellent upper body strength and endurance tool, like a much longer clubbell.

I have normal dragondoor kettlebells and a PDA kettlebell handle. The PDA is good quality tool. If your only looking to do swings, bottoms up presses and a few other excercises it would work. Not exactly inexpensive though. If your planning on doing clean and jerks or snatches I would suggest a regular kettlebell.

Thank you for the info :D

I am going to try the Kettlestacks simply because they are only 149 US with the new Mike Mahler DVD. It said on the webiste that doing cleans/snatches are not a problem (we will see).

I wanted to order from Dragon Door but man is it expensive for shipping. I am going to pick up a set of clubbells as well but I can only buy so much per month. The circular strength info I read seems pretty interesting.

Dan

Thank you for the info  :D

I am going to try the Kettlestacks simply because they are only 149 US with the new Mike Mahler DVD.  It said on the webiste that doing cleans/snatches are not a problem (we will see).

I wanted to order from Dragon Door but man is it expensive for shipping.  I am going to  pick up a set of clubbells as well but I can only buy so much per month.  The circular strength info I read seems pretty interesting.

Dan

Dan,

Check out Atomic Athletic's loadable KB's. They have several sizes and you can load them to your specifications. I bought the 10" KB with a 2" thick handle, quite a handful. Give them a shot.

John D.

try Everything Track & Field

Look under the "Throwing Equipment" section and you should see "kettle bells" listed in sizes from 4 kg up to 32 kg (edit- somewhere near the bottom right-hand corner of the page, if I remember correctly). A 32 kg kettlebell is only $80 + $8 shipping and handling. The handle is a little thicker than the kb's from dragondoor, but also has a slight seam. Using a double bastard flat file, I was able to take the seam off with just a few minutes of hard filing, though. I also put a little weather sealant on the handle so the uncoated iron wouldn't rust. Once you take the seam off the handles, the kb's are great...and much, much less expensive than the kb's i've seen anywhere else.

-jeff

Edited by young'un

I don't like the uneven shape you create with stackable kettlebells, as I don't want all the weight concentrated into an edge when I do KB moves.

e..

The range of people using the Kstacks is really wide, and issues like

the edge (and how to get rid of it) sometimes gets lost in all the

other information at the site.

That said, this page Kettlestack setup details

describes what you need to do to remove the edge.

btw, you grip types will really like the bottom up press (BUP, press the Kettlestack with the weight above the handle). There's pictures of Brookfield BUPping a 100lb KB).

key point:

Unless you're Brookfield,

it really helps to have an adjustable for this- even 7lb increments are a bit much. ;-)

BTW2, shout out to Bencrush

Thanks,

Clay

Edited by cmedwin

Unless you're dealing with a stacking unit like the kind from USKettlebells where the plates are cast to fit into a rounded shape just like a regular kettlebell, you've still got too much edge for me. Then again, a kettlestack or similar type of loadable kettlebell is so much cheaper than paying for a series of kettlebell, that you can't deny the appeal and practicality of using a high quality loadable KB solution.

I agree with the bottoms-up press being a good one, and also like the one where you perch the actual bottom of the kettlebell on your fingertips and thumb, so the handle is not in your hand put pointing up at the ceiling, and do a press or a hold like that. Even if you can do push-ups on your fingers without much strain, this is difficult even with a very light kettlebell. I always keep the KB secured with my opposite hand so I don't break a foot or cave in my head if it slips.

I have an adjustable kettlebell from Detroit Barbell. I can tell you this, you ain't gonna find a better adjustable kettlebell.

-HH

Unless you're dealing with a stacking unit like the kind from USKettlebells where the plates are cast to fit into a rounded shape just like a regular kettlebell, you've still got too much edge for me.  Then again, a kettlestack or similar type of loadable kettlebell is so much cheaper than paying for a series of kettlebell, that you can't deny the appeal and practicality of using a high quality loadable KB solution.

We say right up front that if the top right picture

kettlestack_adjustable_kettlebell_49lbs_topview.a.gif

at this page on "tweaking"

isn't round enough for you, then a kettlestack isn't for you (unless you want to do

90~100 lb swings) where the weight profile doesn't matter at all).

That setup is very round and easy to achieve -especially for the mechanically inclined DIY'ers on this board, but eventually you have to read the tweaking page,

and know what you're doing.

No one who's publically complained about the relative comfort of the

Kettlestack has seriously gone through this "tweaking" page or asked

us for any help.

Also we have a

limited money back guarantee - a $5 restock fee and the shipping charges which are trivial in our case- we need to filter out the non-serious types.

but it's not all frowns and grunts, we have fun as well

we're having our first contest - a BUP contest

Thanks for reading,

Edited by cmedwin

There's really no rational reason not to use some type of  protective gauntlets if you're going for reps.

cmedwin, this is a from the page you posted a link to. Unless your form is poor with a round solid globe bell you won't get hurt, and don't need any protective "gauntlet" on your wrist.

There's really no rational reason not to use some type of  protective gauntlets if you're going for reps.

cmedwin, this is a from the page you posted a link to. Unless your form is poor with a round solid globe bell you won't get hurt, and don't need any protective "gauntlet" on your wrist.

Let's put some perspective on this, yes ?

I'll repeat; if the top left picture at page isn't round enough for you

then don't buy the kettlestack. I've seen many pictures of Russian GS

contests (where they focus on the activity instead of the gear) and

there are plenty of fabric guantlets (cut off socks). Are __they

cheating ?

We get customers who do not understand why two 3" bolts can't tighten

down on a 5" wide stack- They are going to have some trouble tweaking

their plates to the right shape. Should they be punished !? Should

the Kettlestack be judged on some people's inability to set it up

properly?

I don't know about you, but my last five snatch reps with a 70lb

aren't as clean as the first bunch (a lot more than five).

Sorry...but there simply is no comparison to a legit DragonDoor kettlebell. I've tried them all, from homemade KB's to USKettlebells to KettleStacks. Nothing beats a properly shaped cast iron kettlebell. Worth every penny.

Sorry...but there simply is no comparison to a legit DragonDoor kettlebell. I've tried them all, from homemade KB's to USKettlebells to KettleStacks. Nothing beats a properly shaped cast iron kettlebell. Worth every penny.

At this point I could point out that DD kettlebells are not of the type used in Russian Girevoy sport. They (GS ones) are all of uniform size, regardless of weight, and are hollow cast steel, rather than solid cast iron.

I could point this out, but I wont.

Oops. Just did. :whistel

Edited by doctordeath

What's your point?

Whats a good starting weight if someone wanted to buy one KB to start with.. Ones max curling weight? 10 lbs more than curling weight, 10 lbs less than pressing weight max? how about the 175 pounder from Canada? ; )

~Steve

Whats a good starting weight if someone wanted to buy one KB to start with..  Ones max curling weight?  10 lbs more than curling weight, 10 lbs less than pressing weight max? how about the 175 pounder from Canada?  ; )

~Steve

I started with a 16kg like most everyone else. I use my KBs for cardio and endurance since. How much you can curl doesn't really matter when you swing, snatch, or jerk them; it's the prosterior chain you should be using primarily to move the bells, and most people don't curl them because they cry about straining the wrists, but I think they're interesting to curl sometimes.