In The Strap

GarytheDino

What changes when the strap goes on?

More strength and less technique?

What changes when the strap goes on?

More strength and less technique?

yes it takes away technique and the guy who slips out when he's getting beat cant get away. plus its mostly all arm strength involved and less hand if someone knows a wrestler is good and he knows the guy will beat him with hand strength he will pull out on purpose to get the strap and use all back pressure and arm to try to win :whacked

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

yes it takes away technique and the guy who slips out when he's getting beat cant get away. plus its mostly all arm strength involved and less hand if someone knows a wrestler is good and he knows the guy will beat him with hand strength he will pull out on purpose to get the strap and use all back pressure and arm to try to win

Isn't there a rule about intentionally slipping out? I saw a guy get called for this and he lost. But I suppose they only call it if it's obvious and a person slips out when they are about to be pinned.

Can superior grip strength (crush & thumb) help you prevent someone from slipping out intentionally?

You really can't control slips especially when two people blast each other with everything they've got at the beginning of a match. This mostly happens when the two competitors are both trying to top-roll each other. I thought you might be able to hold onto the other guy, but it's extremely difficult.

The old common saying is that there is more strenght and less technique in a strap match. I can tell you that from years and years of pulling I learned that a strap match has its own type of technique. My mentor for the past year or so has been Bill Sinks. Bill is one of the best of the sport and many consider him a living legend. Bill is known for his mastery of the strap and I can tell you there is just as much technique in the strap than out of it. I have a relatively short forearm due to this I enjoy the strap. The strap often allows me to use all my backpressure without making Just my fingers bear the force. I dig in hard flatfinger on the back of my opponents hand, Start toward the front of the elbow pad and apply straight back with the entire upper body.

yes it takes away technique and the guy who slips out when he's getting beat cant get away. plus its mostly all arm strength involved and less hand if someone knows a wrestler is good and he knows the guy will beat him with hand strength he will pull out on purpose to get the strap and use all back pressure and arm to try to win

Isn't there a rule about intentionally slipping out? I saw a guy get called for this and he lost. But I suppose they only call it if it's obvious and a person slips out when they are about to be pinned.

Can superior grip strength (crush & thumb) help you prevent someone from slipping out intentionally?

Yes, there is a rule about intentionally slip out. But hard to see for the referees who intends to slip out.

It is extemely common for a puller to intentionally slip. It is very very rare for a ref to call this for two reasons, 1 it is very hard to tell if the slip is intentional and 2 it is sometimes very hard to see who slipped. I know from reffing matches that when there are 100 things going on at once it is hard to keep track of everything. I think the real determiner for this situation is the losing position rule. If you slip in a losing position you lose, if you slip in a neutral position, purposely or not the refs gonna strap you up. Alot of armwrestlers will purposely elbow foul if they cant get the slip. This is also easy to disguise and hard for a ref to determine.

Straps take away from the role of the fingers, and add to that of the wrist,

generally. They also tend to penalize more dynamic styles and reward more

static ones (with respect to the difference between hand positions at the beginning

and end of the match). These are just my impressions, but one thing is for sure--

strapmatches are a very different game. Neglect to practice them, and eventually

pay the price!

These are just my impressions, but one thing is for sure--

strapmatches are a very different game.  Neglect to practice them, and eventually

pay the price!

A truer statment has not been made :)

It seems like the best move in the straps is a posting style toproll based on what I have read online. Do many hook while in the straps?

Once you're in the straps that's a hard move to recover from... you can't even really kick your wrist back to open their bottom 2 fingers or to get hand position because the straps are holding them together, but if you don't lose your wrist you can still get around it.

there are a lot of people who do hook in the straps, but by doing so you're not really using the straps to your advantage, which is adventageous if you're against someone who's better in the straps than you.

I hate to say it but i'll give him crediit, Bagent is a really smart puller in the straps. Though I've never pulled him, Aaron Lengyel is very good in the straps too. Jason Vale was probably one of the best strap pullers I've ever seen.. and finally, crazy george... but that's a different story.

What do these guys do differently then other pullers? Do they all do a version of a posting toproll? Thanks for your insights on this buddy.

Austin