Questions

GarytheDino

How do you apply backpressure? I don't understand. It sounds like you pull backwards but that can't be right.

BTW, I'm new to AW for 2 reasons............1 I never understood it and 2 I had no one to pull with.

Edit: I really don't understand any of the moves but I think the first one I need to practice is the hook and press.

Can someone post a list of all the moves and what they mean. I've asked sixgun this before and he told me but i still don't get it. I found a group to train with so hopefully some hands on experience will help.

Edited by GarytheDino

Please!!! As Gary has said!!!

Edited by pdoire

Please!!! As Gary has said!!!

Click on the blue links in Smitty's articles. They will give us plenty to think about for now.

Ok Gary..thanks a lot!!

How do you apply backpressure? ..... It sounds like you pull backwards but that can't be right.

Oh, it be right! What you are trying to do is keep your hand (and therefore your arm) as close to your body as possible, while pulling your opponent's hand towards you and away from his body, thereby decreasing the leverage available to him. Keep your wrist .... co\cked (ie do not let it bend at all) and your hand as close to you as possible. Some have likened it to trying to punch yourself in the nose with the hand that you are armwrestling with.

Edit: I really don't understand any of the moves but I think the first one I need to practice is the hook and press.

You need to practice them all. If you do not you will have weaknesses that an experienced armwrestler will quickly exploit.

Can someone post a list of all the moves and what they mean. I've asked sixgun this before and he told me but i still don't get it. I found a group to train with so hopefully some hands on experience will help.

The list is kinda long, and would have to contain much dialogue on the minute variations that can come into play.

I recommend perusing the AW sites for your info and armwrestling often. Here is a site to help you get started - it has some info on the moves and there should be some videos around there somewhere.

http://www.pinarm.com/Armwrestling/Competi...rmwrestling.htm

One more thing. I am not an experienced armwrestler, nor do I play one in real life. For your own comfort, feel free to verify this info via continued research. :D Maybe some of the experienced AWs on here will chime in (maverick has been at it for a while, and I am sure there are others).

:D