Help Me With Arm Wrestling!

pdoire

This may be a lengthy post. I have Arm Wrestled at the barroom level and so on for years (total amateur). Well for a period of 15 years I never lost ( well one time). I had an arm wrestling experience tonight that I want to talk about.

Some background: I was an owner of a Martial Arts studio (3rd dan Kenpo) for about 15 years. This was when I was 30-45 years old, I will be 50 next thursday.

I am 6''4" and weigh about 235 with long limbs. If I had to categorize myself as an Arm Wrestler? I am a hook and puller ( does that make sense?)

Tonight at the bar...for the first time in 10 years I engaged someone in Arm Wrestling...he was 41 years old a construction worker and claimed he was Lee"Lightning" something from Atlanta. He was Southeastern Light-heavyweight champion in Kenpo ( My style). He also claimed that he was Southeastern Arm Wrestling Champ??

So after more than a few beers we challenged each other ( me challenging him, thinking I am still 25-30). He said you definitely DO NOT want to arm wrestle me!

I said why... he spilled forth his accolades. I didn't give a sheeeeet.

I said lets go. He was about 6" and 235 but with a bit of a belly. I looked at his biceps and his wrists and said he is going down!!

WRONG!! He was a hooker and puller too. My arm was longer than his..I usually have beaten people on the pulll and then bring them into my shoulder and then press with my bodyweight to bring them down. Well he beat me on the pull, and had a 2-3 inch advantage out of the gate, my leverage for the first time was way against me. He started talking poop to me..is that all you got...yadda yadda, I said ok Big Mouth what do you have besides lip! Well he had some thing..he slowly cranked me down..I could not believe I was getting beat by this guy. We did it again and he won again agonizingly ..but yes again!

Now we both kept our torsos straight up and it was all arm all the way. I could not beat him out of the hole..this is why I think I lost.

I am also very out of shape and haven't worked out in a few months ( no excuses just fact).

I tried to do what thought was a toproll on this guy to gain leverage back but to no avail.

He said I was his toughest in years..yadda yadda (blowing his victorious smoke up my anus)

Now I think I lost because I was so out of shape..But based on this sad story..can you REAL Arm Wrestlers tell me what I did wrong. I am now ready to take my training to new heights because of this. I have always been a gripper only guy, but now I want to do whatever is necessary to become a good puller!!

All advice from those in the REAL know is welcome!! Help!!

Edited by pdoire

This may be a lengthy post. I have Arm Wrestled at the barroom level and so on for years (total amateur). Well for a period of 15 years I never lost ( well one time). I had an arm wrestling experience tonight that I want to talk about.

Some background: I was an owner of a Martial Arts studio (3rd dan Kenpo) for about 15 years. This was when I was 30-45 years old, I will be 50 next thursday.

I am 6''4" and weigh about 235 with long limbs. If I had to categorize myself as an Arm Wrestler? I am a hook and puller ( does that make sense?)

Tonight at the bar...for the first time in 10 years I engaged someone in Arm Wrestling...he was 41 years old a construction worker and claimed he was Lee"Lightning" something from Atlanta. He was Southeastern Light-heavyweight champion in Kenpo ( My style). He also claimed that he was Southeastern Arm Wrestling Champ??

So after more than a few beers we challenged each other ( me challenging him, thinking I am still 25-30). He said you definitely DO NOT want to arm wrestle me!

I said why... he spilled forth his accolades. I didn't give a sheeeeet.

I said lets go. He was about 6" and 235 but with a bit of a belly. I looked at his biceps and his wrists and said he is going down!!

WRONG!! He was a hooker and puller too. My arm was longer than his..I usually have beaten people on the pulll and then bring them into my shoulder and then press with my bodyweight to bring them down. Well he beat me on the pull, and had a 2-3 inch advantage out of the gate, my leverage for the first time was way against me. He started talking poop to me..is that all you got...yadda yadda, I said ok Big Mouth what do you have besides lip! Well he had some thing..he slowly cranked me down..I could not believe I was getting beat by this guy. We did it again and he won again agonizingly ..but yes again!

Now we both kept our torsos straight up and it was all arm all the way. I could not beat him out of the hole..this is why I think I lost.

I am also very out of shape and haven't worked out in a few months ( no excuses just fact).

I tried to do what thought was a toproll on this guy to gain leverage back but to no avail.

He said I was his toughest in years..yadda yadda (blowing his victorious smoke up my anus)

Now I think I lost because I was so out of shape..But based on this sad story..can you REAL Arm Wrestlers tell me what I did wrong. I am now ready to take my training to new heights because of this. I have always been a gripper only guy, but now I want to do whatever is necessary to become a good puller!!

All advice from those in the REAL know is welcome!! Help!!

Paul,

I know nothing about arm wrestling, but I'm going to learn. I know so little that I will not AW anyone at this point. I know looks can be decieving also. I like your story. It sounds like you put up a good fight though. At least you didn't get slammed down right from the start. Why didn't you contest both hands?

Gary we both claimed to suck left handed. But I tell you what I wanted, to play "Mercy" with him. You know when you start with your hands extended in the air over your head and you clasp fingers and then squeeze and try to bring the other guys arms down and then crush and twist their fingers into submission ( hope you know what I mean) But he said NO WAY. I felt in control of the wrist and hand movement..but couldn't PULL him down...dammit.

Edited by pdoire

Is there a RI or Massachusetts Arm Wrestling Association?

Check out www.pinarm.com for training tips and explanation of the different moves in armwrestling.

Gary we both claimed to suck left handed. But I tell you what I wanted, to play "Mercy" with him. You know when you start with your hands extended in the air over your head and you clasp fingers and then squeeze and try to bring the other guys arms down and then crush and twist their fingers into submission ( hope you know what I mean) But he said NO WAY. I felt in control of the wrist and hand movement..but couldn't PULL him down...dammit.

do heavy hammer curls and preacher curls with a curl bar and dumbells to pull him down that will help 100 percent :D thats all your lacking

Saved it..and yes it looks like a couple in my area.

Thanks.

Edited by pdoire

Some of the best armwrestlers around are in the mass. and RI area. In rhode island Allen Stilkey is one hell of a puller. In Mass you have a number of living legends like Guy Lasorsa, Tim Sears, Gabe Accardi and the amazing Norm Devio not to mention many many others. Im not sure how far you are from Conn. But Ill tell you the team there right now is unbeleivable. James Retarides, one of the best of his weight, Tim Bresnan a new super heavy on the scene that broke his arm a little over a year ago and is right now dominating the supers, He recently beat Brzenk a few times and just won the supers at Chehalis. Also big pete Milano and Josh stark live in the area. If your lucky you might even run into big Reggie ward who stills pulls wih them sometimes. Great bunch of guys.

Thanks Maverick!!

Some of the best armwrestlers around are in the mass. and RI area.  In rhode island Allen Stilkey is one hell of a puller.  In Mass you have a number of living legends like Guy Lasorsa, Tim Sears, Gabe Accardi and the amazing Norm Devio not to mention many many others.  Im not sure how far you are from Conn.  But Ill tell you the team there right now is unbeleivable.  James Retarides, one of the best of his weight, Tim Bresnan a new super heavy on the scene that broke his arm a little over a year ago and is right now dominating the supers, He recently beat Brzenk a few times and just won the supers at Chehalis.  Also big pete Milano and Josh stark live in the area.  If your lucky you might even run into big Reggie ward who stills pulls wih them sometimes.  Great bunch of guys.

maverick

I've been waiting for the results of sol's tourny .... where are they posted?

Thanks

look under the armwrestling section cjcocn

Looks like you lost because you lacked enough side pressure....just my 2 cents Paul!!

Thanks dadams and maverick! :D

I also found them at the NorthEast board ..... man, that must have been quite the tourny - those are some heavy, heavy names!