• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Blarg

• Bill Piche

• Rick Walker

I emailed Ironmind about this. They said that the changes are to increase durability, accuracy, and appearance. Wiping the gripper down with oil or a rust inhibitor should be suffcient to keep the spring nice if it rusts in "my environment." They also said that the oxidation shouldn't affect the integrity of the gripper.

I had another email exchange with Ironmind. I guess the new gripper springs need to be taken care of in a similar fashion to their other natural finish products if you want to keep them shiney and live in a humid enivornment. Here's the link they gave me:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/opencms/Ir...sweathome5.html

I'm going to try one of the Sentry Tuf-Cloths and see how it works.

I bought two grippers a couple of weeks ago and they haven't rusted yet. I live in the Northwest so its probably a better environment and I usually wipe them down when I'm finished with them. Do we know if most of the rusting is happening in the more humid environments or is it spread all over?

:flame

I finally got these things- got the #T through the #3. Scott-you are spot on! My #1 is very dull compared to the other grippers-and the rest of them have that pitty look like the picture you posted.

Anyway-The #T and #1 are 2 of the easier #T and #1 I have felt. My wife closed them both, no chalk, and she hasnt touched grippers in a year +.

The #3 is normal. Chalked up and hit it with a set. Nothing special.

The #2 however, WHOA. STOUT!!!! It is the hardest #2, hands down, that I have ever had in my hands. Feels like the #3 all the way till the last 1/4. Crazy hard.

In all, decent. Good stepping stones for no setting the #3.

-Rick

I keep my grippers in my basement. None, including new 2005's have rusted. I have a few thickbars that are turning orange on a daily basis, and it is very humid. But no rust, and it is not likely that they will rust.

All air has water in it. Otherwise, we could not breathe it. Carbon Steel, if that's what is being used, will pitt and rust no matter what if you leave it alone.

I finally got these things- got the #T through the #3.  Scott-you are spot on!  My #1 is very dull compared to the other grippers-and the rest of them have that pitty look like the picture you posted.

Anyway-The #T and #1 are 2 of the easier #T and #1 I have felt.  My wife closed them both, no chalk, and she hasnt touched grippers in a year +.

The #3 is normal.  Chalked up and hit it with a set.  Nothing special.

The #2 however, WHOA.  STOUT!!!!  It is the hardest #2, hands down, that I have ever had in my hands.  Feels like the #3 all the way till the last 1/4.  Crazy hard.

In all, decent.  Good stepping stones for no setting the #3.

-Rick

wow. my #2 feels the same way.

The 2005 #2 I recieved is significantly easier than my 2003 #2. At best I'm 1/16" off of closing my 2003 #2. Tonight I closed my 2005 #2 for the first time. It is still unseasoned.

The 2005 #3 I recieved is wicked hard, as far as I can tell. It is harder than a 2004 #3 I bought and sold to Jedd because it was too hard (he concurred that it was a tough #3). I could chest crush the 2004 #3, I cannot do that with my 2005 #3. I can't even get the 2005 #3 set in my hand. Yet, when I do my negatives for KTA, I can push my Super master shut with both hands, then hold it 1/4" from closed.

Guess the point is, grippers vary.

Rick, how easily can you no set close a SM? Just curious, because I didn't know until I just read it that your goal is to no set close a #3.

You'll kick the crap out of that goal. Just like all the others. :rock

Also thought I'd add that I have a friend at work who bought a 2005 #3. I've tried a few (2005 #3s) previous to this one. This one was still super hard compared to most of the #3s I've closed. I did close it with a set. BUT it was harder than my easier Elite! Barely, barely easier than my Hard Elite.

I don't have a way to measure the wire size. I'd be willing to bet it's bigger than the older #3s though. I do know the handle spread is 2 and 7/8". I'm sure that makes a difference since my Elites are both 2 and 5/8".

I just ordered a Grand Master from Weightlifter's Warehouse. If the #3's are really pushing the difficulty level of Elites, it may be that there are now 2 stepping stones between the #2 and #3. We'll see. It'd be nice to have a gripper harder than my Super Master that I can actually do negatives with.

I got my Grand Master today. (Ordered Sunday night with normal shipping, arrived Wednesday, can't beat that). It is definitely easier to set than the #3 I got from IM earlier this year. I haven't tried to do any negatives with it yet since today is my rest day. We'll see how it compares tomorrow.

Scott, most of the BB have an easier sweep, just wait until the last 1/2 inch! Good luck with the training. Mike

Scott, most of the BB have an easier sweep, just wait until the last 1/2 inch! Good luck with the training. Mike

I have found the same thing vs The IM grippers.

I tried chest crushing this and got it down to the last 1/4". The IM #3 I had probably 1/2" out. I think this gripper is easier, but honestly, I may be too weak to tell.

I have experienced that difference in the sweep between the brands though. I've got the BBSA-BBGM at my disposal, as well as the IM#S-#3. It holds true for all of them.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW: my grippers have been in the garage now for about 3 weeks. They are completely rusted, and I have oiled them several times.

The COCs I bought in 03' for my step son dont have a spec of rust on them. They get the same treatment as the new ones.

Guess the point is, grippers vary.

The grippers DO vary, except for the new IM #3's and #4's. Those grippers are now BENCHMARKED. :)

In any case, my new #3 is definitely much, much harder than the Grand Master I recieved. I can't even set the #3. I can set the Grand Master and using two hands push the handles all the way together for a servere negative.

Bill, I have been wondering that for a while also. Benchmarked , meaning less variation? Mike