• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Blarg

• Bill Piche

• Rick Walker

I actually don't think it's marketing at all, just consistent product refinement. The IM grippers get nicer every year, and I don't get a dime to say that. It's not chrome, could be any number of things but I'm guessing that's proprietary information.

Continuous improvement is good marketing, especially on a consumer orientated product like these. People will always want the latest and greatest version.

I actually don't think it's marketing at all, just consistent product refinement.

In the year 2015, the IM grippers will have a microchip embedded in the handle that talks to you. It is the voice of Strossen telling you how weak you really are!! :laugh

My #2 and #3 with the new springs just completely rusted a few days after opening them. They now have orange/brown springs.

They rusted? In normal indoor weather and humididty? That's not right.

They're not chrome, they're polished steel. Mine are both rusted and feel sticky. No, I can't explain the stickyness, I have no clue why they are. :laugh

I don't like the IM grippers. The knurling on my rusty #2 is wearing away from my fingers alone. :dry

They are most likely polished, probably in a tumbler. This unfortunately will make the more likely to rust, as the "mill scale" or oxidation from the heat tratment process of the springs does provide some protection. I know a few guys who have polished the springs on their grippers, and they do look nice, but you have to keep them coated with WD40.

What do you suggest is the best way to get rid of rust on the springs? I think I remember hearing about something called "naval jelly" to get rust out, but that it was hard to find.

I actually don't think it's marketing at all, just consistent product refinement.

In the year 2015, the IM grippers will have a microchip embedded in the handle that talks to you. It is the voice of Strossen telling you how weak you really are!! :laugh

a better idea would be, is to have the microchip set to apply to the hand for correct set needed to be certified. but if we have that, i bet there are ppl to hack that though. :online

I got some shiny spring #3's. The first thing I did was wipe the springs down with

3in1 oil. No rust, and my cellar is not the dryest place in the world.

Keep your nice things nice and they will stay nice. :laugh

I use Never Dull. Works on gripper springs, barbells, dumbells, knives, firearms, ski bindings, jewellery etc. It's a wadding impregnated with a polish / anti-corrosive, also leaves a protective layer afterwards.

Trust me I sweat pool acid :) and anything metallic needs protection from me. I can rust anything treated with 3 in 1 or Q20 just by handling it.

I use Never Dull. Works on gripper springs, barbells, dumbells, knives, firearms, ski bindings, jewellery etc. It's a wadding impregnated with a polish / anti-corrosive, also leaves a protective layer afterwards.

Trust me I sweat pool acid :) and anything metallic needs protection from me. I can rust anything treated with 3 in 1 or Q20 just by handling it.

I'll be on the lookout for this. Thanks!

Hey Rick I'm very interested to here how you rate your new grippers. The last new #3 that I got was harder than a good elite. Insanely hard. They do however look great with the new spring.

I'll be on the lookout for this. Thanks!

I always get my Never Dull sent from a friend in the USA. He buys it at Costco or so he says. Let me know if you can't find it I have some web addresses for people who supply the stuff.

Knurling will wear off on any gripper.

Yep, I realise this... But this #2 has had about half as much use as my other grippers which haven't lost knurling. :) Ah well.

The new IM grippers are totally rusting. I bought a Sport for my coworker that has just been sitting on his desk for the last month. He squeezes it every now and then. Our office is on the 40th floor of a high rise and is very dry. The polished spring now is a dull color with little black spots the size if a period all over it. There is even a reddish / orange splotch in one spot.

This sucks. I'm going to oil the ones I have at home and store them as collectors items. Hopefullly once Ironmind changes the spring again I can resell them for enough to recover the money I spent.

Very weird. My new ones spend time in my basement (rather humid) or my gear bag (also rather damp based on this summer). They're as shiny as the day I got them, not a hint of rust, and I use them/sweat on them all the time. Strange.

The new IM grippers are totally rusting.  I bought a Sport for my coworker that has just been sitting on his desk for the last month.  He squeezes it every now and then.  Our office is on the 40th floor of a high rise and is very dry.  The polished spring now is a dull color with little black spots the size if a period all over it.  There is even a reddish / orange splotch in one spot.

This sucks.  I'm going to oil the ones I have at home and store them as collectors items.  Hopefullly once Ironmind changes the spring again I can resell them for enough to recover the money I spent.

I got my new #3 and #4 today from the other board. Funny enough the #4 doesn't have a shiny spring. The #3 sure is harder then the 2004 #3..!

Very weird.  My new ones spend time in my basement (rather humid) or my gear bag (also rather damp based on this summer).  They're as shiny as the day I got them, not a hint of rust, and I use them/sweat on them all the time.  Strange. 
The new IM grippers are totally rusting.  I bought a Sport for my coworker that has just been sitting on his desk for the last month.  He squeezes it every now and then.  Our office is on the 40th floor of a high rise and is very dry.  The polished spring now is a dull color with little black spots the size if a period all over it.  There is even a reddish / orange splotch in one spot.

This sucks.  I'm going to oil the ones I have at home and store them as collectors items.  Hopefullly once Ironmind changes the spring again I can resell them for enough to recover the money I spent.

The only possible environmental variation I can think of is they may turn the air off in my office over the weekends, but this building is a 44 story high rise. It's not like it heats up over night.

My black springed grippers have sat in a poorly climate controlled basement for months on end with no issues. I think my new grippers at home are still shiney, but I haven't used them at all or paid attention to the spring. I'll check them this evening.

Getting a good picture of detail on a shiny spring is difficult, but I did manage one shot of the pitting that has happened on my fiance's Sport:

http://www.stylesdevelops.com/images/pittedsport.jpg

She's had this gripper for less than two months. At most, she's closed it 200 times. I've never closed it. Our air conditioning is ALWAYS on and as a result my apartment is cool and dry.

The trainer I bought that's been sitting in my closet but has been closed 20 or 30 times hasn't started doing the pitting, but does have a rust spot on the spring. I couldn't get a good picture of that though.