Gripanator and sos update

John Szimanski

The third Gripanator prototype (with the rest of the options) is enroute here. Once I approve it, we crunch the numbers. Assuming approval, we expect to send out the emails and faxes to those on the pre-order list (over 30) around the beginning of January. The first batch will then be built specifically for those on that list. Sorry, Santa won't be able to bring it himself. ;(

After the first batch is completed we will look at the inventory issue - with so many options selecting inventory may be a crapshoot.

The revised SOS grippers are edging out. The uniformity in assembly turned out as we wanted. We started with the 295 wire grippers and have found them running 400-460 IP.

Different sets have been field tested separately. One test group, who was not able to close any of the 403, 420, 439 did not like them. They also felt the 420 felt the hardest. We are not sure if the fact that they could not close them influences the input. Squeeze a block of wood and a block of steel – which is harder? Can you really evaluate it if you can’t crush it?

The other party was able to close all three (406, 432, 461) and reported they felt good as well as appropriately rated by comparison to one another and his calibrated IMs. So we are rolling on.

Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water we have found yet another gripper variable. The relative tightness of the coil wind may contribute to the apparent level of difficulty between otherwise similar grippers, perhaps due to inter-coil friction. The IPs would still be valid but one gripper could ‘feel’ more difficult at a particular spot in the sweep.

We still think there are more variables than we have identified, or can measure or control, that can contribute to a gripper's comparative degree of difficulty. IP simply isn't the definitive factor. That is why tight specifications are important. The test group identified the coil height now - tighter coil = more inter-coil friction which would increase the degree of difficulty between any two grippers through the sweep, even with the same IP. The tight 420 may feel harder than the 439 (for as far as you can get them), but if (in the ideal world) the grippers were exactly the same in absolutely all respects except the closure IP, you would certainly first achieve closing the 420.

Essentially, IP calibration is not the final word in valid ratings between grippers (as our Scandinavian friends recognize by adjusting competitive gripper ratings for differences in overall handle length). And, nominal configuration isn't the final say, either. Both are important when considering the different level of difficulty between grippers. There are other 'feel' factors that contribute to the apparent difficulty. Some of these factors we understand and some we don't. Some factors may be inherent in the grippers, other factors inherent in the user. We are not complacent enough to believe we have learned all there is to learn about grippers. We recognize we could probably build ‘perfect’ grippers, but there would not be much point since only Bill Gates could afford them.

The only way to fabricate accurate and useful training or competition grippers is to start with a tight set of specifications and follow through with quality control from beginning to end. Then, and only then, will you have a set of training instruments that will provide the opportunity to know what you are doing. Then you can plan your training progress.

So we will continue to offer the tightest gripper spec and validated ratings as part of our mix of grip tools. We will also continue to share what we are learning with thorough explanations. And, we recognize their inherent problems that do not exist in precision tools like the Gripanator.

We are working down the wire sizes toward the 260 IP range grippers. We are somewhat overwhelmed by the Christmas crunch. Everything would move faster if we could work 24 hours a day, but … That being the case, we are targeting to have our waiting list clear with available ranges around the first of January. We are immediately proceeding with a batch of yet thicker wire size to creep up on the 500 range requests we have on file. Once those are met we will work our way back down to the other side of the 260 IP range in response to many calls for that range.

To those on either the Gripanator or SOS waiting list - we are working systematically and you won't be forgotten.

Have a great holiday.

Best Regards,

John

Guest StrongerthanArne

John,

Interesting findings. I had the following experience with the first batch of SOS gripper. The two grippers were rated at 330 and 360 ip. With the new handle length standard this would equal just over 340 and 370 ip. If you tried to close them in a somewhat timid fashion, the 330 gripper felt almost tougher as its coil was indeed tighter than that of the 360 gripper. I handed the 330 gripper to Arne and he came to within 5-6 mm of closing it. I then let him have a go at the 360 gripper and he came up with the same result, 5-6 mm. As a final insult he had a go at his 410 #3 and believe it or not, 5-6 mm away. Later I let Joakim Palmqvist have a go at the 330 gripper and he was about one mm away from closing it after which he had a go at the 410 ip #3 and was about 10 mm away from closing that one. So, in the second example the IP ratings made sence but not in the first example. Speaking from my own experience my 396 #3 (adjusted to 390 for handle length) has always felt a bit easier than Arne's 410 #3 (and Joakim agrees). I would be more inclined to trust the IP numbers than a test person, especially one that was not able to fully close the grippers. If you know you can do it you tend to squeeze them with more confidence.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Believe it or not,

but I never tried them all out, just closed the grippers about 20 mm (during which the 330 gripper felt harder). These days I never try grippers above the #2 level cold (fear of injury) and I returned them before my gripper workout which is on Mondays. I would characterize Arne's attempts as "timid", unlike Joakim's.