Shug/trap bars?

Guest kINGPIN

:0 £150 is a bit steep, I made mine a few years back out of 1" bar, and it's been perfect (I had to weld larger handles on tho after I woke up to using grip rather than straps). Do you have access to a welding set or a welder?

Where in the UK do you live? If you can't get anyone to make you one I could probably rattle one up for you for a fraction of that cost. If you want me to mail you some pics of the bar I made just let me know :)

Oh and thanks for the tip on the hex dumbells at bodypower I've just ordered a pair of 40 lb bells. I only wanted one but they wouldn't split :(  nevermind I guess I get to cut one up and keep one intact :D

Cheers

Paul

Guest kINGPIN

I did'nt think of having it made, I was'nt sure whether it would be a bit hard to make to a good standard.  Are we talking about the same type of bar here.  The rhombus shaped one that you step into.  If so then stick a photo of it on here as I would be glad to see it.  Because this is not my computor I don't open up attachments from e-mails.

Good to here you had luck with Bodypower.  I got all my stuff the other day and it is all great.  I cant wait to use it all.  The Hex s are amaxing.  When you see it you will not want to cut it up......I urge you not to!  :(   They look so good as a pair.  ;)  :D

Andy

Well I would be happy to post the pics here but you need to upload to a web page first and then link to them... I think, and this is a bit beyond me I'm afraid ??? . So if someone who has this capability could post them for me I'd be happy to e-mail the pics to them first. Please someone :D .

To describe the bar I made it is a diamond shape as in trap bar rather than the shrug bar shape, but to be honest as long as it clears the knees I dont see what difference it makes. The larger handles I added recently are also welded a couple of inches above the original handles rather than replacing them, a job for another day when I get around to it.

But seriously Andy, a six metre length of inch bar, which should easily be enough, should set you back less than a tenner. Then its just the cutting, bending and welding. If you had to pay a proper fabrication firm to make it it'd still work out well cheap. I'm in North Lincs so give us a shout if you get stuck and are within travelling distance. God knows what it would cost to post one of these things :0 .

Paul

Wouldn't ya know..... you English always sticking together!!  Ya don't give us Yanks a chance!  :)  :D  :D

Yay! seems to have worked.

As you can see I welded the thicker handles above the original 1" handles rather than replaced them although if I were to make another one I'd just put thicker handles straight in. :)

img1.jpg

And a quick pic of my humble gym

img2.jpg

I'm pretty fortunate in that my employer has let me set up my gear in the stores at work, used to fill my garage pretty much up.

Paul

Guest kINGPIN

That is impressive.  Looks like my kind of gym.  The bar looks well made.  I might call around rather then buying one over the net.  Thanx for that.

Snott, we welcome any comments/products from our American brothers.  We are just jealous that you guys get everything cheap over there. ;)  :0  :D  :)

Thanks for the compliment kINGPIN, I'll mail you some more pics of the bar.

Yeah Snott over here we usually have to pay the same amount in pounds as you pay in dollars...and then some, hence it's always easier/cheaper to make your own stuff.         Says the guy who's about to chop up some brand new hex dumbells :0  ???    :D

FC

Guest kINGPIN

You guys are unhappy about paying $140 over there for a thick bar, over here the same bar costs us £200.  I aint good at exchange rates but that is a #### of a lot.  Its about time i move too the States, this place is holding back my grip progress.  :D  :D