Measurements: Apollon wheels

Roark

For the record, I measured both sets of wheels used

at the Arnold Strongman show. Did not weigh them.

Set One:                                  Set Two:

365 lbs 9 ounces         Weight      325 lbs

66.5"                  Overall length    83.25"

under 6.25"       Bar circumference 6-3/8"(hollow)

26"                  Wheel diameter     22"

The second set 325 lbs, was used to establish placings

for those men who failed to lift the first set.

The '366' set: each wheel's rim was composed of one inch

flat steel four inches wide connected to the hub by eight

pieces of 3/8" steel, four inches wide, and ten inches long,

which formed the 'spokes'.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get back to Kinkos and put the photos

on disk. I have a wonderful close-up of the wheel construction!

Again I emphacize: In spite of what other websites are

presenting, NO ONE pressed the Apollon wheels, In each

case, Henry and Philippi, the wheels were JERKED! It simply

flat-out amazes me that so-called followers of the sport

do not know the difference between pressing and jerking.

I'll tell you a story, or 2, regarding the grippers which might illuminate why others do what they do (in error).

On one of my visits to the OH dinner I had, as I am now in the habit of doing, taken along a few CoC grippers. I gave the No2 and the No3 Grippers to Chris James and heard them creaking, not clicking shut, but CREAKING (as they do). I knew that he hadn't shut them but had a quick look to make sure. They were close, maybe less than a half inch but were NOT shut.

Later on, both verbally at the OH and in conversation and additionally in a letter to another friend Malcolm Whyatt stated that Chris (he had been honored by the OH and is very strong) had shut the Grippers several times.

I had to point out that I had been with the two when this miricle took place and although I knew why Mal had said it it hadn't happened. It was a case of wish fulfillment rather than fact. Wanting to see it happen and saying it did, when it had almost been that way.

Another example. On the occasion when DHorne and myself did the No3 both DH and I had David Webster as our reliable witness. DW knows me well enough and is a Muscle Mob subscriber. I also know, as much as any here, that he is a fan of strength and loves living the life he does. By that I mean if you were a fan and Arnold said 'here, come sit by me and we'll have a chat' you'd be in pig heaven. Now put yourself In DW's shoes. Every day is heaven.

Low DH had shut, as I could also see, his No3 CoC Gripper. No doubt about it. I was up after Liz and slammed the handles but they weren't quite sitting in the best position. It looked like they were closed and yet I knew they were not. DW behind me says 'yes they're closed' and I have to say that they were not, adjust the grippers and go again getting them straight away. I then bring my hand to a position in front of my face and DH gives me the nod as well.

Here's a guy who so much wants me to do it that instead of being 101% and sure thinks I have and says yes. Wish Fulfillment. No different from a lift I make in the gym which I say, for my ego, is good knowing full well it wouldn' get the nod in competition. Plus of course the Arnold (gawd bless him etc) isn't about historical accuracy, shame though that is.

Mind you, having said all the above, if I had been in the audience I'd have shouted 'does that include me?' ;)

A small blurb on last night's WWF's "Raw Is War" showed Mark Henry pushing a Hummer for distance and lifting what appeared to be several railroad ties and carrying them for distance.  Then the announcer stated that Mark had won the contest, (was the "World's Strongest Man"), and will be coming back to the WWF "in the near future".  Did Mark win the contest?

i caught the tail end of that snott and was kinda wonderin myself.  i don't guess there was any footage of the wheels or inch bell on raw?  that's really what i wanted to see.

Yes, Mark won the overall, though I did not see the

Hummer lift which was demoted to a pick-up truck lift

which was demoted to a barbell deadlift USING STRAPS!!

Some friends saw it and said that the 4 pm starting time

was delayed thru confusion for over an hour. I think that

Andy Bolton won that. Nobody in the lineup could lift the

pick-up truck.

I did not see the farmer's carry either- some of these

conflicted with the bodybuilding which was the main reason

I was in Columbus (with FLEX) so I missed them.

Word was that the wheels will remain in Columbus,

presumably so they can be rolled out for next year's event,

which hopefully will be better organized.

I spoke with Terry Todd yesterday he said the Apollon overhead lifts were jerk presses and my Inch bell and the Apollon bar were transported to Texas after the show then to be shipped today back to Ivanko and myself. I was told that Henry won the deadlft event with 2 reps but did not hear about using straps.You know, I don't feel so bewildred any more when people cant recall the facts correctly on a event that happened a few days ago let alone 10 or 100 years ago.Thank goodness for men like Mr. Roark that care enough to get it right!

Richard (and I do wish you would call me Joe),

Thank you for your kind words.

In my opinion a 'jerk-press' is a jerk. A press is a press,

but when leg thrust and leg dipping are involved is stops

being a press. Granted, there are degrees of leg thrust and leg dipping- but if ANY of either are involved the lift is not a

press. This is the very situation that caused the press to be eliminated from weightlifting competition- lifters were actually

able to 'press' the same amount of weight they could 'jerk',

which barring injury, is simply an impossibility.

Mark Henry and Mark Philippi should be very pround of being

able to jerk the wheels, but claiming to haved pressed them

is something I hope neither of these two fine athletes will do.

Thanks for the info regarding the wheels- I had been told by

Tom Lincir that the wheels would be staying in Columbus. Must

have been a change in plans, and I hope this does not mean that the wheels will not be used next year!? It cost $2,500 to

ship them to Columbus, and if they were going to be used next year, why not leave them there? Oh well.

I spoke to Tom Linceir about the Apollon bell and he wanted to get some photo shots with it for some adds he is working on. I am in full support of your comments about the press. (I was  Olympic lifting the year it was banned) The press by then was a joke! The athletes and coaches I work with do refer to a jerk where the knees are not bent a second time to drop under the bar a "jerk press" but in every sense of the word it is still a jerk. A push Jerk is similar but the knees do bend a second time to allow the arms to lock (still a jerk)Thanks Mr.....Er.. Joe