Brzenk!

paul valpreda

Most of you have probably already heard, but John Brzenk beat Taras Ivakin in the most recent vendetta, 4 matches to 2. I'd sure love to see the video of this. Congrats to John, the legend lives on!

Most of you have probably already heard, but John Brzenk beat Taras Ivakin in the most recent vendetta, 4 matches to 2. I'd sure love to see the video of this. Congrats to John, the legend lives on!

I hope the Pulling John people were there filming. I think this would be an awesome ending to their upcoming documentary.

Josh do you know when its coming out?

No, I emailed them once and they said they were toying with the idea of finishing up filming in the spring or summer of this year but said they still had plenty of filming left to do and then you've got all the editing... I have no idea when it's coming out.

In recent light of the coverage armwrestling has been getting, they've extended the release date.. you never know what could happen.

Also.. the first 2 matches of Taras vs. John are up on the site now.... the rest should be up soon.

John looks awesome, he's the man... that's all there is to it.

• 3 weeks later...

he's still the man.

I just watched it, that was AWESOME! It must be nice to be able to just "catch" someone like Taras Ivankin :bow:bow

ya but if you watch there is no way he fouled

Edited by dadams

ya but if you watch there is no way i fouled

I agree, if you turn it up you can even hear Brzenk say that he's just catching Taras because they're being so strict.

the way Igor has set up the reffing for PAL (professional armwrestling league) he now only uses 1 referee at the table. Both elbows are guarded by video cameras, and then 2 other referees monitoring the video make the call.

That's why John was catching him, he could have just smoked him. They kept calling the most ridiculous fouls though.

There's some upsides to the cameras, but there's a lot of negatives as well. The use of cameras in PAL isn't going to change, they're still trying to develop the system, maybe it will get better.

i hope it gets better cause that was horrible

ya but if you watch there is no way he fouled

I agree with you, having watched both video links at least twice. John looked really solid...

That's the point of the cameras.... they catch the tiniest most irrelevant elbow fouls. That's just not right. The call should be made immediately as the foul is made by TWO referees, and that's final.

The point of calling an elbow foul in the first place is to prevent the competitor from gaining a position advantage on his opponent, and obviously there is some discretion inolved.

The way John was manhandling Taras, was evidence enough that those were bad calls. The match should never finish... have them stand around, looking off stage waiting for 2 refs to watch a video THEN make the call a minute later as to who won, or if there were fouls. That's not what a match should be, that's bad for competitors.

John said it himself in one of the videos.. "I could just sweep him right off the go... but they keep calling these fouls, so I'll just catch him then beat him" (i paraphrased a little)

That's the point of the cameras.... they catch the tiniest most irrelevant elbow fouls.  That's just not right. The call should be made immediately as the foul is made by TWO referees, and that's final.

The point of calling an elbow foul in the first place is to prevent the competitor from gaining a position advantage on his opponent, and obviously there is some discretion inolved.

The way John was manhandling Taras, was evidence enough that those were bad calls. The match should never finish...  have them stand around, looking off stage waiting for 2 refs to watch a video THEN make the call a minute later as to who won, or if there were fouls. That's not what a match should be, that's bad for competitors.

John said it himself in one of the videos.. "I could just sweep him right off the go... but they keep calling these fouls, so I'll just catch him then beat him" (i paraphrased a little)

You're right, John just mowed him down when he caught him.

I hope to keep seeing North American dominance over other contries!!!!

I'm curious and not that informed about the top pullers. I just saw Ron Bath I think last weekend beat all comers in the 220 lb weight division. They claimed he is a legend also...he is like 43 years old.

How does he compare to John?? Anyone know?

There are a lot of good pullers out there who have been around for a really long time.. still pulling, and still very good at it. Ron is one of them, at 43 he's still one of the best.

Compared to John? They've had a lot of good matches, pulled a lot of the same people... but it's john brzenk, no one has ever achieved the same level of success john has, and still is. In fact no one probably ever will, not in this lifetime.

It's not really fair to use John as a measuring stick... but Ron is right up there.