7th Castro Valley Grip Fest

oldtimer

It's short notice but we'll be having a grip fest in Castro Valley CA (Bay Area) this Saturday, the 25th starting at noon. We'll do the dynamometer, a bunch of hand-grippers, hub lift, pinch lift, and dead lift lockout. Five official events. Still have some phonebooks left from Clay Edgin's last visit here, also a Weaver Stick and assorted other things after the meet. This started with Mike Corlett wanting to come up and buy some RB grippers --which at the moment I have-- every strength from the 70 to the 300--that is in inch pounds: 70, 100, 130, 160, 180, 210, 240, 260, and 300. Let me know if you can make it so we can plan. Free. :cool

It's short notice but we'll be having a grip fest in Castro Valley CA (Bay Area) this Saturday, the 25th starting at noon. We'll do the dynamometer, a bunch of hand-grippers, hub lift, pinch lift, and dead lift lockout. Five official events. Still have some phonebooks left from Clay Edgin's last visit here, also a Weaver Stick and assorted other things after the meet. This started with Mike Corlett wanting to come up and buy some RB grippers --which at the moment I have-- every strength from the 70 to the 300--that is in inch pounds: 70, 100, 130, 160, 180, 210, 240, 260, and 300. Let me know if you can make it so we can plan. Free.  :cool

Hi Dale,

I replied to your email.

Ryan

Here's some results of our contest. There were only five of us--but we had a good old time. The five were: Hubgeezer; his 23-year old son Andy Corlett; Candice Del Rosario--Andy's girlfriend; Al Cardwell --age-group dead lift record holder, and me.

Squeezing the Baseline Dynamometer was the first event--Hubgeezer 85 kg, I did 79 kg, Andy 67 kg, Al 63 kg, and Candice 47 kg (great stuff--especially when the average woman does 28 kg). Candice also had a great attitude--she had a go at every event offered.

Robert Barraban Grippers was next with no-set squeezes. The other hand was allowed to set the gripper in a good place on the hand but the start was from a full open position. Mike closed the RB180, Andy and I closed the 130, Al closed the 100, and Candice the 70. Bear in mind that these are brand new and un-seasoned grippers done strictly. Mike was within a 32nd of an inch on the RB 210. Note that Mike has closed at least some 2+s before with other brands--these were pretty tough grippers.

Third event was the Hub Lift. Hub Geezer strutted his stuff--he made the highest on record lift for age 50+, of 70 lb (65 in plates + 5 for the Big Rig). Andy was 2nd, I was 3rd, Al was 4th and Candice 5th.

Fourth was the Rolling Thunder. Hub Geezer did a convincing 175, but a jump to 190 was not to be. I did 141 which was low for me, and Al did 121 which was low for him--both of us are rehabbing so didn't want to aggravate back injuries. Forgot what Andy and Candice did--maybe the Hub Geezer will weigh in here.

Afterwards, Andy bent a 60-penny nail in about three seconds--really impressive. We did a few lat pulls and that was it.

HubGeezer entertained us all with some great stories of the characters at the AOBS dinner. Thanks for coming everyone. That was just as much fun, to me at least, as when we've had 8 or 10 people here. :D

Thanks for the report, Dale. Sounds like you guys had a good time. Hubgeezer is lifting big weights on that hub, huh. :bow

Nice report! Thanks Dale. Also nice to see some strict no set results on the grippers.

It was a very nice day at Dale's house last Saturday. I was going to pick up some RB grippers and buy Dale's latest update to his "You Can Compare Apples to Oranges" sports comparison book. I wasn't sure my son would want to come, and then I wasn't sure if his girlfriend wanted to attend as well. As it turns out, they both made the 90 mile trip North with me, and both had a good time.

Dale summed it up fine, I'll just add a few personal comments...

Andy did 135 in plates on the RT, and girlfriend did 70 in plates. Incidentally, Andy did 139 in plates(145 total) two nights ago for a PR. My 190(184 plates) in RT had the height, but there was not a contest-level hold for it to be good. Two nights ago I did get a contest-level good hold to PR with 190. At Dales, my Hub lift of 65 pounds on the large IronMind loading pin device was a PR. I have done 70 in plates on the small IronMind loading pin device, but that was way back when I was only 50. The big one weighs 5 and the little one weighs 2, including the hub and clip. It was nice to PR with a credible witness like Dale there.

It wasn't until I got home that I saw the most serious oversight/error Dale has probably ever made in his Iron-Game-Tallying-Life. In his latest book, under Grip Records, he had some unknown old clown being one of the world record holders for the Hub Lift. Hell, Steve Stanko of the original York Gang could do way more than the poser he had in his book. I have it on good authority that this so- called "world record holder", in a New Jersey hotel parking lot last month, could not even pick up a York 45 by the hub, and Dan Cenidoza easily did it. Baah.

Dale, don't feel bad, everybody is entitled to at least one mistake in their life. Hell, just last month I added several years to your age when I was describing you on a thread. I pride myself on being factual, but I screwed up on it and thank goodness someone caught it and I was able to correct it. We all make mistakes.

All joking aside, thanks for the hospitality, the fun, and the stuff. Hopefully we can do it again some time. Thanks for the mention in your book, and it was a nice surprise to see my name in it, even if it was a semi-mistake!

I am seriously thinking of getting John Wood's Formulator. I am hoping it is just the ticket to move the old Rolling Thunder lift closer to the 200 level.

Your kind words may make son's girlfriend a grip gal. We'll see. HEY NORTHERN CALIFORNIA GRIP GUYS, NEXT TIME COME TO DALES'S. YOU MIGHT HAVE FUN AND YOU CAN GET OUT OF YOUR GARAGES AND AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTERS FOR A CHANGE. MAYBE SOCIALIZE A LITTLE, YOU CAN USE A LITTLE MORE OF THAT IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Thanks again Dale.

Hubposer I mean Geezer

Dear Hubgeezer, Thanks for your kind words about our grip meet and am glad you enjoyed yourself. I do want to clarify the "world records" in my book "Sports Comparisons--You Can Compare Apples and Oranges". As you know, but this is for others who might read this-- the book is filled with rating tables to compare various events including grip events, powerlifting, weightlifting, track & field, etc. and the book allows people to score each event absolutely, or also by age, bodyweight, height, or even hand length. When you got the book from me (thanks for the purchase) you might have jumped to the grip section fairly soon without seeing that I've sometimes labeled sections "world records" and sometimes "records" which have more than one mark listed as a world record for reasons listed below. As you and I both know, Steve Stanko did a hub lift of 95 lb but it was not in any contest. You know that I knew about Steve's lift because I mentioned it to you in an e-mail. I forgot to include it in the book, because at the time I wrote the book I was waiting for confirmation of the date, venue, and exact sources for Stanko's lift, and then I just forgot to include it--incomplete as the data was. Anyhow, you're also being too modest--you hold the known world record for age 50+ actually done in a contest--it was a small contest, but you had a judge that was strict enough (me), your device (Big Rig) was weighed by me on my postal-type scales as 5 lb 0 oz and all of the plates you used were weighed before time. BTW I should have weighed the exact plates again because you might have obtained a slightly higher record. None of my 10 lb plates are light (one was as high as 11 1/4 lb) --I had them marked in chalk but of course the chalk wore off some time ago. Anyhow, study that same page in the book again and you will see that I asterisk marks not made in competition and hence regard them as unofficial. Yours oddly enough is the highest hub mark that I'm aware of in competition--but at least it qualifies as an age 50+ mark until you beat your own mark last weekend with 70 lb. Also if you'll look at that same page in the SC book you'll see that there is more than one listed "record" or "world record" since my philosophy is to include many records besides absolute records--there are age group records, bodyweight records, height records, and various combinations thereof. I tried to explain that in the beginning of the book, but in future editions it would be good for me to make that clear in each individual section. I know I'm being a little defensive here but I want people to understand the circumstances. Best wishes. :D

... is to include many records besides absolute records--there are age group records, bodyweight records, height records, and various combinations thereof. I tried to explain that in the beginning of the book, but in future editions it would be good for me to make that clear in each individual section.  I know I'm being a little defensive here but I want people to understand the circumstances. Best wishes. :D

Folks, I didn't mean to criticize Dale's methodology; I was just making fun of someone else "exaggerating" my "talent". Bad joke, as I am an accountant, and whenever anyone "messes with your numbers", you can get a little excited. even when the rest of the world is practically asleep on the issue.

Moral of the story: don't mess with a math guy's or accountant's numbers, not even in jest. Sorry Dale.

I did highlight the two Clay Edgin entries in yellow, went to Kinko's and laminated the page(I put the forward by the nuclear physicist on the reverse) and sent it to Clay, who has since received it.

What the hell is the world coming to, I can't even make jokes about myself without causing damage. :whistel