I Armwrestled My Uncle

Nitro

Tonight I went to my uncles house because I had my supergripper there.Anyway I saw my uncle using it and he wanted so see where his 1 rep max was.He tried my 1 rep max and couldn't close it. I was pretty suprised. He's a pretty big guy and strong all over.He used to be a mover where he would move people's furniture when they were moving.He now works at a furniture retail store and he sells there.He also moves around stuff there too.He can lift alot of heavy stuff and I'm sure his supporting grip is much much stronger then mine.Well after that we started talking about armwrestling and I challenged him to armwrestle me.I figured If I had a stronger crushing grip then him maybe I might have stronger wrists and forearms and therefore might beat him.Well we had no armwrestling table so we did it across a regular table.The first time we both went I quickly pulled his arm down using a hook and his hand stoped 6in from touching the table.I tried and tried but could not pin him.My arm was losing power and he overpowered me and pined me.The second time I tried to get him in a top roll.The same result happend.I again got close but he pulled me and beat me again.The third and final time we went again.I did a hook and pulled his arm down and his arm was about 6 inches from touching the table.I kept giving it everythnig I had using alot of leverage and finally I beat him.I had my arm real close to my body and his arm was far from his.So I won 1 out of 3 matches.I had alot better form and positioning then he did that round and I think that is why I won.

I told him I will continue to train my wrist and forearms and will come back to arm wrestle him every few weeks until I beat him 3 out of 3 :D

One of my favorite forearm excercises is using the wrist roller.

Will the wrist roller increase my strength in armwrestling?

Edited by Nitro

Tonight I went to my uncles house because I had my supergripper there.Anyway I saw my uncle using it and he wanted so see where his 1 rep max was.He tried my 1 rep max and couldn't close it. I was pretty suprised. He's a pretty big guy and strong all over.He used to be a mover where he would move people's furniture when they were moving.He now works at a furniture retail store and he sells there.He also moves around stuff there too.He can lift alot of heavy stuff and I'm sure his supporting grip is much much stronger then mine.Well after that we started talking about armwrestling and I challenged him to armwrestle me.I figured If I had a stronger crushing grip then him maybe I might have stronger wrists and forearms and therefore might beat him.Well we had no armwrestling table so we did it across a regular table.The first time we both went I quickly pulled his arm down using a hook and his hand stoped 6in from touching the table.I tried and tried but could not pin him.My arm was losing power and he overpowered me and pined me.The second time I tried to get him in a top roll.The same result happend.I again got close but he pulled me and beat me again.The third and final time we went again.I did a hook and pulled his arm down and his arm was about 6 inches from touching the table.I kept giving it everythnig I had using alot of leverage and finally I beat him.I had my arm real close to my body and his arm was far from his.So I won 1 out of 3 matches.I had alot better form and positioning then he did that round and I think that is why I won.

I told him I will continue to train my wrist and forearms and will come back to arm wrestle him every few weeks until I beat him 3 out of 3  :D

One of my favorite forearm excercises is using the wrist roller.

Will the wrist roller increase my strength in armwrestling?

Hi Nitro. Your uncle's biceps are very strong in the open or "just off the table" because of the nature of his work. For years he has carried boxes and furniture in this same position, his arm outstreched. To beat him in that position, using the hammer, you will have to strengthen your triceps. Pushdowns with a bar or rope are good, as is close grip bench or dips. For fun, use a rope attached to a high cable machine. Using a preacher curl bench, sit sideways to the cable machine so that you can pull the rope across your body. Grab the rope with the end facing your thumb and index finger and place your elbow on the pad. Get yourself in the "start" position and then "hammer" the rope down to the pad! Do for reps or max. It is a great way to work all of the muscles involved in AW. Good luck! :laugh

Well, if you had his that close to the table, he would have technically lost. anyone can hold their wrist in that position across a regualr table because there's a loss of range...

Wrist roller works the extensors.. and is a good stabilizing exercise, but the initial cary over is less that that of other that you could be doing.. same plane, different direction.

Anyway, the strongest contraction the bicep can produce is at 90 degrees, because the insertion of biceps is at it's furthest point from the lever (the joint) so it boils down to physics... and then it comes down to the endurance of contractile units and so forth....

what I'm getting at is... if you have him to that point, you've technically got him beat... there's SO many ways to "cheat" across a normal table... because there's no restriction to elbow position or internal rotation or whatever...

Try doing that to him on purpose.... when you're fresh, let him take you over... hold him there 6" above the table until he ges tired, then you should have lots left because thats not a hard position to hold comparatively.