Bending Pennies..

Kurt Lane

Normal Copper Pennies.. After watching Big Steve bend that Nail in his teeth I wrapped up a regular copper penny (2003) in my leather bend wrap placed one end in teeth and pressed up hard as I could with my thumb and it bent! Its not really a great accomplishment since I had to use teeth but it looks damn cool pennys maybe bent 30-40 degrees. Its 1:50 AM... Yeah this is the stuff I think of and do at this time now that im out of college lol :online

1:53 AM- Bent a Dime.

DONT TRY QUARTERS AND NICKLES :cry

Also be real careful obviusly... I dont want anyone breaking there teeth.

Edited by Kurt Lane

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Steve

• Kurt Lane

• 3Crusher

• Zakath

Awesome :bow

I've tried to finish of a "penny" (0,50 swedish crowns actually), pre bent it and put it between gripper handles, but it just popped out and made a big scratch on the knurling :(

wowsers!!! :ohmy

Kurt,

I am skeptical that you actually did this. I saw Stanless Steel put a slight roll in a penny, and it took him many minutes of battle to do this. Stan Pleskun is one of the strongest guys that you will ever meet, and I am not doubting that there are others that can put a roll into a penny, but I would think that your teeth would crack first. The only way I would believe you is if I personally handed you the penny. If you did it, I would be the first one to shake your hand, and then shake my head in amazement. I want to keep this post unlocked, because I would like to see what others have to say, without being nasty or uncivil.

Maybe he can make a video so we can see?

If he did do it awesome job Kurt! I'd try it but with my luck I'd slip and punch myself in the face and fall down :blink

I'm not doubting it can be done, but I'm pretty sure I can't do it. I tried working up to biting through metal for awhile and all I got was a slight indentation in a quarter and some really sore teeth. How thick is the leather you're using?

i believe he did it!!!!!

If you get a penny, wrap it in leather, put it in a bench vice, and then press on it, or even work it with a pair of pliars... it's still very hard to bend...

I would love to see the penny-teeth trick. How much leather? How long is it? How much leverage do you get from the leather?

Prior to 1982 pennies were 95% Copper and 5% zinc.

After 1982 the composition became 97.6% zinc and 2.4% copper

1982 pennies can be either one of these.

http://www.1728.com/projects.htm

Very interesting information Scott and I have 4 of those 1943 Zinc (silver color) pennies if I recall right they seemed lighter but I will not be chewing on these either way..

SIDE NOTE We have all heard of dirty money and the dollars or paper money (75% cotton & 25% linen actually) are passable petri dishes but coins fair much better.

At random, two $20 bills, one $1 bill, and a quarter were plucked from circulation in New York and checked for germs by a microbiology lab. Five types of bacteria were identified: spherical coagulase-negative staphylococci and micrococci; the more rodlike diphtheroids; propionibacteria (a group that includes Propionibacterium acnes, the cause of acne in oily areas); and various species of bacilli. Small bills that get traded a lot are invariably the dirtiest. Our tired-looking single produced the most microbes--all five of the varieties identified. The quarter yielded the least: only two. "Anything that's very hard and dry isn't terribly hospitable to bacteria," according to Joanne Bartkus, a microbiologist with the 3M Company.

Stick with pennies for chewing on as their copper content even as low as it currently is in the make up of a cent has bacteria prohibiting properties hence one reason why much of our water pipes are still made of copper tubing. In fact the common U.S. penny can come up totally sterile in most cases, but you still would get all that tasty goodness of dirt, oil, and many other nasty substances in your cake hole.

So pennies are less likely to carry and bacteria on them but dirt and grime is present for sure so do you want anymore in that dirty mouth you kiss your mother with? :unsure

Post some pics and/or vid please! I gotta see this to believe it. :blink

Kurt, that's crazy stuff! I will pass on trying this myself due to my love for my big white teeth! :D

Hmm a while back I asked about coin bending and someone else tried this. Amazing stuff but nothing I would try myself broken teeth can be expensive. The human jaw is capable of some amazing pressure.

Let's see the video.

Hey Guys. The leather was from Clay. Its 3/32'' I belive its wrapped once and a half.. (Pennies fully wrapped in 3/32 leather then i put a extra layer on one side. I stick a little less then half the penny in between my molers, and just simply push up. It takes a few pushes , the first is usually just a slight bow but I can get it VERY nociably bent.

Thanks to everyone that belives me, for I would NEVER say I could do somthing when I cant. Everyone that knows me I think feels the same way. But posting a video is no problem at all I planned to do this anyway, and as soon as my friend comes to visit I will have him video it and have it posted up! Take care.

Looking forward to the video, sounds really cool. I've tried a bit of bending and card tearing with my teeth, its tough. I'm thinking if this stuff catches on some of us will be missing teeth though.

Good work Kurt, that is an awesome feat. I will personally take you at your word, no video necessarry........Brett

I asked a dentist about this and he was pretty horrified. Just don't do anything that will injure yourself when making the video.

Kurt,

Again, not to doubt you, but I would have to personally hand you a penny in order to believe this. Video proof alone would not make me a believer on this one. Maybe the thick leather helps from a leverage standpoint. Stanless Steel wrapped the penny in a small piece of paper when I saw him slightly bend a penny. Like I said, he struggled mightily to do this with his fingers, and he is a VERY strong man. I just want you to understand that this is not a personal attack on you. I have just developed a highly skeptical attitude at claims of strength feats, and it has nothing to do with jealousy at not being able to do such and such strength feat. If you can legitimately do this, it would be one of the greatest strength feats that one could witness.

As I recall, the "silver" pennies from 1943 are steel not zinc. They're worth a little bit, so I wouldn't chew on 'em. If you do find a copper 1943 penny and bend it, I'll have to beat you in the head, because that's worth a lot of money, there's only a handful existing.

If you get good at this, you could act like one of those machines at a theme park than mashes the pennies for a memento! :)

3Crusher: It would be much mroe difficult to do it in your hands. Placing it in your teeth puts it in a fairly effective vise (limited by jaw and tooth strength). I find this method very plausible, and would bet that a relatively high percentage of us would be able to do it if we had the same lack of respect for our orthodontists. :laugh But seriously, think about it in terms of the jaw's grip on a penny for purposes of holding it stationary for a feat such as that vs holding it between thumb and forefinger. It's not the same deal that Stanless did. If you and Pat have good enough teeth to do it, I'd bet both of you guys could do that technique. It makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it, so I'm not gonna.