Arm Wrestling

Sonny

Hey guys just thought I'd throw a newbie type question out there. Do you guys think that most good armwrestlers are born with a "natural" type of strength for it? There's a guy at work who can basically dust anyone in our warehouse even guys who outweigh him by a good 80-90 lbs. What got me was that even our bigger DELIVERY guys couldn't beat him!

So would you say he has more natural talent? Could it be technique? Alot of the guys at work gave the whole "you either got it or you don't" kind of thing! And most importantly could someone who really stinks at armwrestling train to the point of being REALLY good?

Hey guys just thought I'd throw a newbie type question out there. Do you guys think that most good armwrestlers are born with a "natural" type of strength for it? There's a guy at work who can basically dust anyone in our warehouse even guys who outweigh him by a good 80-90 lbs. What got me was that even our bigger DELIVERY guys couldn't beat him!

So would you say he has more natural talent? Could it be technique? Alot of the guys at work gave the whole "you either got it or you don't" kind of thing! And most importantly could someone who really stinks at armwrestling train to the point of being REALLY good?

this guy is a sleeper he use to do something along the line of wrist strength or arm work and a little is natural :D or he did hard labor work

this guy is a sleeper he use to do something along the line of wrist strength or arm work and a little is natural :D or he did hard labor work

He has really good lower body strength and big hands. He plays a lot of basketball but doesn't do ANY resistance training because he finds it boring!

i wonder what kind of work he has done in his past, or was he a farm kid. to many things. does he just hook? you might want to try a posting toproll. he is probably stonger in a hook, so catch him off gaurd and take his wrist and toproll him.

i wonder what kind of work he has done in his past, or was he a farm kid. to many things. does he just hook? you might want to try a posting toproll. he is probably stonger in a hook, so catch him off gaurd and take his wrist and toproll him.

This is his first job. When he killed me, his arm felt like a club, there was NO GIVE at all. He had his upper arm tucked in more than me though! If I had my arm tucked in I might have done a little better. We're almost identical in size but he was having no problems with our 250 lb. delivery guys!!!

I do beleive there is some natural ability to it......but I think it just makes it easier for the person....I do think that a person who sucks at armwrestling can be top calibur someday.....but I think the guys and teens like myself that are good at it just natural will be the best in the world......cause where you start can also determine how much farther you can go......like lets just say a kid that curls 50 the first try never did any type of hard labor lets lable him computer geek.......then another kid similar size and age....can barly do like 20......the kid the could do 50 first whack IMO has the ability to go far beyond the weaker kids top strength.......same with armwrestling....if I barly train and can beat mostly anyone.....and can do weights that most people twice my age can't budge.....I belive I and for that matter anyone that starts off stronger will always end up stronger........unless they let it go to waste......hope this kinda sorta answers your question lol.....

Kyle, I don't agree with you.... relatively speaking, there is some genetiic predisposition to your inital skill. I'm stronger than most people my size as well. .. does that mean that I can be a better armwrestler? not necessarily. If you are willing to put in the time to train, and be dedicated a weaker guy can, and will catch up with the stronger guy.... he may not end up stronger, but he could easily train smarter and be more technically sound.. and therefor end up being a better armwrestler. Strength alone doesn't make you a world champion. It doesnt matter that you can curl 50lbs and the other guy can curl 20lbs... there's also hand size, arm length, reaction time, whatever... You could be the strongest guy there and still get flashed by a guy half your size.

No offense but you're gonna get an eye-opener. Especially with the "I barely train and can beat amost anyone" attitude. Maybe people who don't armwrestle... I realize I don't know you, and I'm not trying to be a jerk... But at 185lbs, I'd put up $500 right now that says I could take you down best of 3 matches.

Edited by Killswitch213

I do beleive there is some natural ability to it......but I think it just makes it easier for the person....I do think that a person who sucks at armwrestling can be top calibur someday.....but I think the guys and teens like myself that are good at it just natural will be the best in the world......cause where you start can also determine how much farther you can go......like lets just say a kid that curls 50 the first try never did any type of hard labor lets lable him computer geek.......then another kid similar size and age....can barly do like 20......the kid the could do 50 first whack IMO has the ability to go far beyond the weaker kids top strength.......same with armwrestling....if I barly train and can beat mostly anyone.....and can do weights that most people twice my age can't budge.....I belive I and for that matter anyone that starts off stronger will always end up stronger........unless they let it go to waste......hope this kinda sorta answers your question lol.....

Is that kind of like saying, "Big ain't strong. Strong is strong?" ........ :inno

You know it ;)

I wasn't trying to lay into Kyle.... that comment just kind of bothered me...

If he's as good as he says he is, at 17... why wouldn't he train his ass off, he could be be world champion in 2 years?

Maybe that's not even what he meant... then I'm a jerk and I will owe him an apology..

But yes... big ain't strong. strong is strong. :)

Only few words.....

In this world there will be ALWAYS someone stronger than us!!!

Natural strength, technique, training or other...... doesn't matter.

Maybe Kyle has found his sport, maybe he has never pulled with

some hungry farmer kid :D

Just kidding Kyle...... but the concept is that!!

You'll be the best puller in the world untill you meet someone

smaller and stronger than you...... like I've done :(

My dream is to make a t-shirt who said in the front:

The world is full of strength freaks

and in the rear......

But you don't know them!!!!!

:D

Keep pulling guys!!!

Bicio

This summer, I'm planning to armwrestle in my first local tournament, sanctioned by NYAWA (New York Arm Wrestling Association.)

I rarely get the opportunity to armwrestle, but when I do, I always beat everyone; this includes guys who are much heavier than me. I can "U" an IronMind yellow nail and working towards the blue nail. I can currently tear a 1300 page phone book in half and 42 playing cards in half. I can close the CoC #2 gripper and get the CoC #3 to parallel. I hammer curl 65lb dumbbells for 4-6 reps. I'm just under 5'6" and weigh 155lbs, more or less at 22 years of age. My main technique involves the hook or the hook and drag.

Any advice for my first event would be much appreciated including my chances for placing in the top three of my weight class. Thanks. :help

Edited by DieselWeasel

work your ass off trying to build technique and strenght, pull when ever you can, anyone.

dont expect to win. i am not trying to be an ass, but really dont expect anything.

they are gonna hit hard and fast, also work on speed.

Edited by dadams

Armwrestle as much as you can between now and then and you should probably pull in the novice class if it's your first tourney. I don't think you'll learn much getting flashed two or three times in the open. Good luck and keep us posted! :rock

I'd say strength wise you're doing pretty damn good for yourself.... the hook is probably the best plan of action until you have had significant time to practice in the toproll....

And my biggest piece of advice would be to grip hiigh... as high as you can. Some people grip low into a hook, but don't. Load down and sideways before the go, establish your hand positiong before jacking up the back pressure and dragging them back.

good luck!

Only few words.....

In this world there will be ALWAYS someone stronger than us!!!

Natural strength, technique, training or other...... doesn't matter.

Maybe Kyle has found his sport, maybe he has never pulled with

some hungry farmer kid  :D

Just kidding Kyle...... but the concept is that!!

You'll be the best puller in the world untill you meet someone

smaller and stronger than you...... like I've done :(

My dream is to make a t-shirt who said in the front:

The world is full of strength freaks

and in the rear......

But you don't know them!!!!!

:D

Keep pulling guys!!!

Bicio

Yeah......I don't think I am the strongest.....I just know that I started out stronger that a lot of people.....with no reason for it lol......I am not a farmer kid did no hard labor...just a normal video game playing kid lol......even my football friends who are by many standards strong mofos lol.....think I am strong.....but I am done talking about myself......I really don't like bragging or anything of that nature....just expressing my oppinion

Kyle, I don't agree with you.... relatively speaking, there is some genetiic predisposition to your inital skill. I'm stronger than most people my size as well. ..  does that mean that I can be a better armwrestler?  not necessarily. If you are willing to put in the time to train, and be dedicated a weaker guy can, and will catch up with the stronger guy....  he may not end up stronger, but he could easily train smarter and be more technically sound.. and therefor end up being a better armwrestler. Strength alone doesn't make you a world champion.  It doesnt matter that you can curl 50lbs and the other guy can curl 20lbs...  there's also hand size, arm length, reaction time, whatever...  You could be the strongest guy there and still get flashed by a guy half your size.

No offense but you're gonna get an eye-opener. Especially with the "I barely train and can beat amost anyone" attitude.  Maybe people who don't armwrestle...  I realize I don't know you, and I'm not trying to be a jerk...  But at 185lbs, I'd put up $500 right now that says I could take you down best of 3 matches.

ohh man I know.....this is why I don't like talking about myself.....cause people misinterpret what I am trying to say......basically this is it......if the two were to train the same way.....the guy with the genetics and natural talent in the end and begining will be stronger....that was my point.....I know I am not the strongest the best or anything of that nature untill I put my years in I ain't shit....pardon my language.......I just know what I can do now....all I can do is better myself and do my best....if I had $500 I would spend it to meet you and train with you.....not to beat someone with much more training than I.....I hope you start to understand where I am coming from.....lol and you do realize that I am 17 with like no training compared to yours lol.....that was an easy money bet lol.....

You know it ;)

I wasn't trying to lay into Kyle....  that comment just kind of bothered me...

If he's as good as he says he is, at 17... why wouldn't he train his ass off, he could be be world champion in 2 years?

Maybe that's not even what he meant...  then I'm a jerk and I will owe him an apology..

But yes...  big ain't strong. strong is strong. :)

I plan on training my ass off and learning and examining techniques like I have been....I taught myself the hook and the toproll the post all that stuff.....by looking at pictures...and reading a little......at the start I think its best to build my strength while I can get it quick.....you don't know how much I love armwrestling man....I understand where you were coming off about what I said....I should have worded it better.....also...i think I have posted here like 3 times and no one has responded....i think I should stop lol.... :(

And my biggest piece of advice would be to grip hiigh... as high as you can.  Some people grip low into a hook, but don't. Load down and sideways before the go, establish your hand positiong before jacking up the back pressure and dragging them back.

good luck!

I've never heard this before. I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just interested in your reasoning. Could you talk about the advantages of gripping high in the hook or the disadvantages for gripping low? Thanks

You're setting up like you're going for a toproll, but instead of loading up with back pressure, you're loading down and sideways... that way you can chop straight down into their wrist and usually have an easier time of getting your hand position.

Whereas if you grip lower, against someone you know is going to toproll, you're putting your hand under a lot of extra pressure, and giving them more leverage.

Also, the other guy will usually have no idea what you're doing.

This is what I've learnt from day 1.... I'm lucky enough to train with 3 world champions, and several other who have placed as high as second many many times... It works for me anyway...