High Volume

gamidon

great topic here...

i have not tried filed grippers yet and do not get to one until after my bbsm in my own high volume workout(i hvane't filed my #2's yet) but am quite interested in trying it. alot of good opinion here on closing strength and that is what i am looking so this has been quite beneficial to me...

one addition I mad to the high volume workout that i'd love to share is do no set high volume on tuesdays and thursday. i find this to be quite hard and toughen the hands ALOT just something for you guys to try if you'd like.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gamidon

• Vice

• SHRUG

• toboku

Top Posters In This Topic

well today is my last day of this high volume workout, last day of negatives, then im takin a week off i think

my hands have definitely toughened up, no question, and im able to rep a gripper i could not close when i started this

wanna see my strength after a good amount of rest as i feel as if my forearms are always worn out

That is really good news, congrats on the new PRs...

thanks a bunch for the grats but more important thanks for posting this routine :)

Greg,

I also was thinking that the need for BTR grippers were to use a more challenging gripper than you current PR for BTR. I know that most only use BTR grippers that they can currently close but when I was still unable to close my #3 I was using a new 2005 #3 that I cut for negatives. The benefits seemed to really help. However, I was also doing a number of cut #2 over crushes which is an unaccounted for variable that I did not isolate during that round of training.

-Sean

Here is a quote I grabbed from a study on Isometrics:

"For isometric training, strength gains are highest at the angle or position of training with some diminished benefits outside that specific location."

If true it would seem than overcrushing with a cut gripper is less effective than overcrushing with a uncut gripper since the uncut gripper would be at the proper angle. The reality is that you are working with a higher tension with a cut gripper so who knows what is better.

Me I like to simplify everything so I think you were playing with a harder gripper and you got stronger. Filing the harder gripper makes it even harder and the same thing hold true, you got stronger. I am not dead set against BTR, I just am not a huge fan of it either. I am a huge fan of filing the grippers to make them tougher to close. I just don't fully buy into the ROM part of the beyond the range theory.

As with everything I say, "these are my opinions and I could be wrong".

Something I've noticed is that a heavier gripper sinks further into your hand, so your effective ROM is greater. I think part of why filed training works is because it trains this additional ROM that you would only hit with a heavier gripper.

Greg,

Great point on the BTR gripper and the power of the over crush. Personally I like both but do nitice that I am strongest on my #3 when I have been doing a series of overcrushes with my cut #2. KTA makes many references to the benefits of over crushes and I know Bill would agree they do help a lot and it is most beneficial if you can maintain the "power spike" upon the click that you refer to.

My personal rule of thumb was that when doing over crushes I would use my cut #2 and shave the gripper until I was only able to over crush it for no more than seven seconds of high intensity, shaking crush! Then when my over crush increased to beyond seven seconds in that intense, shaking over crush I would just shave more until I returned to the below seven second count, most likely four seconds of hard crushing.

-Thoughts?

-Sean

Actually I think that is a great way to progressively increase the difficulty of a gripper, and something that I have benefitted from in the past.

Man, I am gonna have my hands full with this new program. I just ordered 10 new grippers and 2 bottles of liquid chalk so I can take the grippers with me everywhere and not make a mess. I have just been taking a ziplock freezer bag full of chalk with me when I am training on the go but now this will be much better plus I got 10 new grippers on the way  :yikes  I am a happy gripster.

Liquid chalk, now that is what I need! The room that I train in is covered in white powder... liquid chalk will be my next investment. Pure genius.

I think filed grippers work because you build strength beyond the range. Plain and simple. The idea is, if you build this BTR strength, then when you attempt a regular gripper that is unfiled, you will slam it shut because your hands have been conditioned to take it further.

It has been my experience that those who work with BTR grippers tend to be more explosive with the grippers, accelerating into the close, whereas those who dont, tend to lose speed towards the close, and hence hit a "sticking point."

My 2 cents.

-Rick

Greg, I just finished reading your entire blog (took me the better part of 3 hours), and was very impressed. Your toughness and determination was very impressive, especially with your shoulder constantly bothering you. I feel very inspired. :bow Looking forward to reading more in the future. Good luck to you and Dave.

I did 1000 reps on the trainer tonight, this program rules. :rock:rock:rock:rock

Greg, I just finished reading your entire blog (took me the better part of 3 hours), and was very impressed.  Your toughness and determination was very impressive, especially with your shoulder constantly bothering you.  I feel very inspired.  :bow Looking forward to reading more in the future.  Good luck to you and Dave.

I can't believe you went through the whole thing...

Shrug - Keep me up on your progress, I am convinced you will do some serious damage on some serious grippers in the not too distant future.

I can't believe you went through the whole thing...

Honestly, either can I, I was mostly interested in the progress that you and Dave made with the high volume routine and it looks like you both made great progress. I'm gonna give it a go after a round of KTA, it should be perfect after all those hardcore negatives and singles.

Gamidon, thanks for the vote of confidence bro, I will not let you down. I will keep you up to date.

Having fun doing this stuff. Hit the most reps on a #3 that I have in a while.

Was heading in this direction anyway (thanks to bencrush), this post helped tip me over the edge.

Having fun doing this stuff. Hit the most reps on a #3 that I have in a while.

Was heading in this direction anyway (thanks to bencrush), this post helped tip me over the edge.

This is really good to hear. Now if you go back through it you have to smash every previous PR!!!!!! I think it is fun too.

Just tried this out tonight. On good day I could usually close my #3 with a good set, if not maybe a paper width away. I tried doing reps with the trainer and the pump I get in my forearms hurts so bad I cant even move my hand, and thats only after 100 or so, 50-25 reps at a time. Maybe I'm more of a one rep max person than a rep person? Dunno but my forearms feel as their gonna split open just sitting here.

Dude, are you srtretching? sounds like you are just tigthening up from too much blood flow causing an ove rpump... stretch it out.

yea I keep stretching my wrist back to help it. I keep doing reps on it and I go good until I hit 23 and it feels like a WALL big time. It goes from trainer to feeling like my #3. I havent done reps in a long time so I guess that might be a result of it, hope it straigten out soon so I can do more in a sitting. Otherwise getting to the 1000 rep mark a day will be impossible, lol

High rep forearm stuff hurts really bad, at least for me. You just get used to it.

Perhaps since you are weak on the high rep stuff, maybe that might be what you need?

Sometimes I hit a huge wall too. It happens.

That might be true, I hope this is the change I need. Since I've had the grippers I could never so as many reps on the T as my other buddy that does the grippers could. But when it came to closing a harder gripper I could do at least a gripper level more than him everytime. This must be a part of my grip that I don't have...one of the many, lol.

Would the effects of this high volume be as effective if I did it throughout the day? I know Greg said he does it in one shot so he has more time to rest but it would take me awhile to get to that number of reps. Maybe just pound my hands into the ground 27/7 for a few weeks and then rest would be almost the same as having workouts and resting day to day?

That might be true, I hope this is the change I need. Since I've had the grippers I could never so as many reps on the T as my other buddy that does the grippers could. But when it came to closing a harder gripper I could do at least a gripper level more than him everytime. This must be a part of my grip that I don't have...one of the many, lol.

Would the effects of this high volume be as effective if I did it throughout the day? I know Greg said he does it in one shot so he has more time to rest but it would take me awhile to get to that number of reps. Maybe just pound my hands into the ground 27/7 for a few weeks and then rest would be almost the same as having workouts and resting day to day?

While training throughout the day may still be effective. I think you want to push yourself to where your body is hitting the wall and attempt to push through. This is where you will force it to adapt.

The goal is not a number of reps (example 1000) The goal is a number of reps that you can possibly do without leaving any gas in the tank. It seems that number may be lower for you and that is ok. Just push as hard as you possibly can. When you have finished your workout, did every rep you could get. Do a few extra for me :D

Greg

I watched Shrug do those reps. His hand looked like a side of beef when he was done. The man got Grit. :whacked

Has anyone seen gains in one rep max aside from gains in reps by doing this high rep routine?

I've done it for about a month and so far I've made PRs about every 2 out of 3 workouts, thats for reps.

Tested yeasterday and I still have 2-3 mm left to close my #2. My sweep is stronger but my weak point, the crush, is still as weak as before. I'll switch to OC and strapholds, hopefully I'll improve my crush.

What is "normal" ? I can close the Trainer 54 times, the #1 21 times but so far no luck with #2 :cry but I get the #3 to parallel!!

Maybe my #2 is a tough one? Or maybe I'm just weak. :cry

I've done it for about a month and so far I've made PRs about every 2 out of 3 workouts, thats for reps.

Tested yeasterday and I still have 2-3 mm left to close my #2. My sweep is stronger but my weak point, the crush, is still as weak as before. I'll switch to OC and strapholds, hopefully I'll improve my crush.

What is "normal" ? I can close the Trainer 54 times, the #1 21 times but so far no luck with #2 :cry but I get the #3 to parallel!!

Maybe my #2 is a tough one? Or maybe I'm just weak. :cry

Well from parallel to close is basically the "meat" of closing the gripper. Thats why when you give them to some people the always get them to parallel but no further, because after that point the full poundage of the gripper comes into effect.

When I first started gripping I could close the #2 every so often if I was lucky, which was about 6 months ago. I would do them everyday as much as I could with no real routine, and went very quickly to being able to close the #2 for 15-17 reps. I'd say your grip is very good compared to the average person, most cant even close the #1. I'm hoping this high rep routine will do the same for me on the #3 as it did with the #2 because its proportionately the same thing.

(BTW - Where are you in Thailand? I've vacationed over there a few times in Pattaya :) )