High Volume

gamidon

Great post. This program is definitely interesting and I think it will give most great gains. I have always been a fan of high reps to build a strong base. This whole program is like a mini periodization program where one peaks after a few weeks.

To be honest, I do my best work at Gregs house. I think part of it is just being in public, but part of it is knowing Greg is going to give me shit if I don't do something.

Ha, I'll never forget bending that first red. I was online and all amped up and I hit the nail hard. I just hit it just right, all my force went into it and it bent. I got online and I was so estatic it was hard to type. I was like "I BENT IT! I BENT IT!" I was hoping for a "good job", "nice work", "take a break" ;). No, Dave said "eh, good for you, now grab another." Then Greg was like, "Cut one, then bend it." I was upset. But to be honest, I did bend a 2nd red that night and then a G8 and I know if it wasn't for them I would have quit and just been happy with one.

I think the way Greg pushes himself is like no other, and when someone works out with him that desire is very contagious.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gamidon

• Vice

• SHRUG

• toboku

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff.

High Volume Makes sense.

The best powerlifter in the World Brian Siders(and pretty decent pro strongman ;) )does high volume workouts.

Perhaps there is a correlation?

Might pick up the grippers again.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I've apparently been living in a cave for a while. I didn't know that Brian Siders trained with high volume. Good to see you back Tom! :) Why don't you stay awhile?

I've begun something similar after reading a few of your blogs.

Day 1 - 800-900 Reps on easy gripper

Day 2 - 30 Negatives + 200-300 reps on easy gripper

Day 3 - 800-900 Reps on easy gripper

Day 4 - 30 Negatives + 200-300 reps on easy gripper

Day 5 - 300-400 reps on medium gripper

Day 6 - Rest

Day 7 - Rest

I'm hoping this will get me out of the rut I'm in right now with my usual negatives and singles... Right now I'm on day 4 and my hands are cut up real good, I've been spending each night breaking off loose and hanging skin hah. :rock

I'm hoping I'm on my way to close my hard HG300 and #3, I'm still about 3/4" off.

Greg-

Great post, and your blogs are as entertaining as ever.

I agreed with Bill years ago that volume works. It always worked for me! As soon as the strongman season is over, and I dont need my hands, I will be attacking a similar routine.

-Rick

Gamidon,

Although it is a departure from my usual routines - I am giving the high volume approach a try.

I am going to modify it slightly -

3 days on 1 day off - starting with the HG 150 and moving up though the set.

Yesterday I accumulated 290 reps (right hand) in a short time -

Today doing 50 reps a set - goal of over 500 for the day.

I think the increased blood flow and vascularization will be great for a bump.

I am also using the no set technique in the video with patrick - for the first rep then opening around an inch and closing again.

I'll keep you posted.

Brett

Cool, Brett I am interested in your take on this. I found that the second day was the hardest. I would have guessed that the last day would have been but that was never the case.

skies the limit. there's no limit at this pt.

Greg

It seems that depending on the gripper one is useing for the closes,obviously as one uses a harder gripper that the opening distance between reps is reduced.So do you think it would be beneficial to use a choker so as to get the exact same opening on each rep.

hey that's a darn good idea! i think i like it, although, then if you wanted to finish with a couple of wider reps you couldn't :(

Gazza I tend to adjust my reps as I go. I try for the widest I can get. As I start to die out they do get smaller. My problem is at the close so it doesn't matter to me if my ROM is down to 1/4" at the end of the set, since that is where I need the work anyway. If the choker works of you I think it is a good way to compare individual workouts since it ensures uniformity. For me I mostly do things by feel. I set up a program where there is some structure (1 week per gripper move up a gripper a week) and I then push myself to do the hard work. I sometimes wonder why people always read a rep scheme like 7 sets of ten as gospel. The only thing that rep scheme means to me is that is is an example of what to do. If you got gas in the tank to do more reps or more sets, I would always recommend pushing yourself to do them. Now some may always come back and argue overtraining this or that BLAH BLAH BLAH. I don't care about that crap. I worry about undertraining. Does this make me right, NO. I could be completely wrong on this. I will say in the end I would rather be tough than strong...

Gamidon I have to say that high volume does work because before I even knew what high volume workouts i did them. :laugh When i started grip training 2 1/2 months ago i could only close the hg150 right and the hg 100 left then i eventually got strong enough to close the hg 200 about 5 reps with right and mash it once with the left. Then i just started doing high reps with my hg100 about 100 reps with the right and 68 left....Then 3 weeks later i Closed the hg300!! :yikes I was so surprised! ANd now i can close my hg200 about 70 reps right and 40 left...ANd i did all of this without strapholds negatives or anything else but doing high volume, low reps and strong gripper attempts..about 3 per workout. Just thought I'd share that with you all. :inno

I also forgot to say that I always overtrained every week for 3 weeks then i rested one and did the hg300. Thx Gamidon for sharing a great post and training routine :mosher.

Edited by Jmizer

hey guys i tried the #1's with a choker at about 1.5" maybe a bit less and i pulled off 100 reps compared to my usual 40 (mind you i open a far distance) so it definately does change up the workout

happy squeezing

Greg,

The experiment continues - not to the volume you and Dave are reaching but far more reps than I have ever done on the grippers.

For the 6/1, 6/2, 6/3 - I was on the HG 150 - 290, 512, 503 respectively

For 6/5, 6/6 I am on the HG 200 - 308, and will reach or exceed that today.

I was hitting sets of 50 (PR of 65) on the HG 150

I am hitting sets of 30 (pr of 35) on the HG 200

Hands and forearms are feeling the volume - I accumulate the sets through the day - which helps reduce the crying!

The first rep is no-set and then 1/2" to 1" opening and closing - another day of the HG200 tomorrow and then on to the HG250.

Should be fun!

Brett

Brett,

That is very cool. I think over time you will start feeling the effect of all this volume. You will have a much higher work capacity, your hands will be much tougher (but always sore, at least until you get some rest time), and improved strength.

Keep me updated I am very interested in others progress. If your progress is good try looping back through another round beating evey PR and daily/weekly total. After that if your progress begins to stagnate, switch up to KTA or something similar and you will shock your body again and hopefully continue the gains.

Greg

Greg,

My normal routine is very low volume - like 5-8 reps per day on a goal gripper.

might be a #3 for 5 singles one day and then the BBSM for 8 singles the next - something along those lines.

Just focused work on singles - but daily work.

I will keep you updated - after this I will test myself on my goal gripper for the moment and then re-evaluate.

Thanks

Brett

• 3 weeks later...

Since I dont have access to anything for grip at work except blockweights, I have begun doing this with them.

I have a couple hours of down time spread through out the day. I go down to my office, break out the block weights, and do deadlifts or cleans and presses with them. The goal of each session during the day is to go until i cant break the block weight off the ground. I then do some reverse curls for the exstensors. 5 days on, 2 off.

Lets see what happens.

-Rick

Rick I like it, What size block are you using?? Do you find chalk and humidity are factor or are you pretty consistent with the grip?

Greg

Right now I am using half a 95 hex head.

No humidity in the office-hot but not humid. Using chalk.

-Rick

gamidon, ive been tryin to follow your high volume approach with the grippers and im finishin up on the 4th week now, and yer right my hands hurt haha

just wanted to ask you about the negatives, you said you do negatives for reps, so like how many reps and sets have you been doin? i havent done negs with grippers yet so im kind of in the dark on em, were you just doin em till you couldnt close the gripper with both hands?

gamidon, ive been tryin to follow your high volume approach with the grippers and im finishin up on the 4th week now, and yer right my hands hurt haha

just wanted to ask you about the negatives, you said you do negatives for reps, so like how many reps and sets have you been doin? i havent done negs with grippers yet so im kind of in the dark on em, were you just doin  em till you couldnt close the gripper with both hands?

Toboku,

A negative is when you take a gripper you cannot close and then set it, and using your leg or off hand force the gripper closed in your hand. When you remove the assisting body part (hand or leg) you fight the gripper from opening. It will open but you force yourself to fight it for 5-10 seconds as best you can. I did as many reps on this as I could until I was not even able to stop the gripper from opening on its own, like I wasnt even there.

I am interested in how you are doing when you re-test yourself after a rest I am hoping you see a dramatic strength increase. keep plugging the hands will adapt.

Greg

just wanted to ask you about the negatives, you said you do negatives for reps, so like how many reps and sets have you been doin? i havent done negs with grippers yet so im kind of in the dark on em, were you just doin  em till you couldnt close the gripper with both hands?

Toboku,

A negative is when you take a gripper you cannot close and then set it, and using your leg or off hand force the gripper closed in your hand. When you remove the assisting body part (hand or leg) you fight the gripper from opening. It will open but you force yourself to fight it for 5-10 seconds as best you can. I did as many reps on this as I could until I was not even able to stop the gripper from opening on its own, like I wasnt even there.

I am interested in how you are doing when you re-test yourself after a rest I am hoping you see a dramatic strength increase. keep plugging the hands will adapt.

Greg

well my hands are definitely getting stronger, i know when i got my 1 i couldnt close it, i can rep it now, but yeah im gonna need a rest once im done with this, my hands are always very tired , and i tore my pinkies up pretty good one week haha, i see what you mean about feeling yer overtraining every day but im trekkin onward

i started off on a sports authority gripper that i could rep about 100 times, moved to the hg100, then the trainer, im currantly workin on the hg150, next week is the number 1, then i'll max out and do negs on either the hg200 of the hg250

Edited by toboku

Wich gripboard members are currently using this volume method of training beside you and Dave and are they getting good results. I was thinking of giving it a go.

I'm doing a variation of it. I'm preparing for bending so I'm doing a fair bit of heavy sledge work, after that I do the grippers. The last two weeks I've been doing some very easy grippers. 1:st week about 750 reps total, 150 max reps. 2:nd weak, about 600 reps total, 95 max reps. Usually three days on one off. Starting with the CoC Trainer tomorrow.

I was quite a bit hesitant to this high rep stuff but I recuperate a lot quicker with this training compared to singles and negatives.

So far, so good and it's quite amazing how much my forearms have grown in this short time. I guess after all the singles and negatives done the last two months(Yes, I'm a newbie), high reps whas what I needed.

Will spend quite some time strengthen my wrists by sledge work before bending. I have two very week wrists, one because the ulnar nerve is cut (got stabbed) and the other because I broke it many years ago. I've learnt the hard way that it never pays off to be in a hurry when training, give the body time and listen to it. There's good pain and bad pain. Learn to tell the difference.