Do Heavy Squats Help With Grip Strength?

Sybersnott

Q: Does heavy squatting lead to gains in grip strength?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Q: Does heavy squatting lead to gains in grip strength?

• I Very Much Agree
    • I Somewhat Agree
    • I Don't Agree
    • I've Never Squatted Before

i've done squats for a while. the only thing i see it helping me with grip training, is when i re-rack the weights, sucks. i still do believe it's a overall great exercise though. :D

"Overall body strength" has a positive correlation with hand strength. So the stronger a man is overall, the stronger his hands will be. Don't believe me... look it up.

This would mean an increase in "overall body strength" would result in an increase in hand strength.

Squats are an "overall body strength" exercise.

From Joe Kinney (taken from IronMind's Captains of Crush Grippers: What They Are and How to Close Them):

"Your body doesn't want to squat 400 x 20 for breakfast, but that may be what you need it to do so it'll produce [testosterone]. "

"After a while of this kind of training, I could feel the increases in strength on a regular and predictable schedule. My body didn't want squats for breakfast, but my grip training needed the boost."

Yes Defintely.

Particularly when it comes to recovery.

In fact I think the main benefit of squats is this. I think they make you able to recover quicker and better and therefore train harder each training session.

When Squats are thrown into the equation my recovery time is shortened dramatically.

Edited by Geo

I thought lifting heavy with the legs released more GH in the body and promoted more growth throughout because they work the largest muscle group obviously. Squats I think are one of the best overall body exercises to do this. For some reason i read on boards that DLs help the release of GH but aren't good for the Central Nervous System which is why they do them very rarely. Thats from a different board though, bodybuilding and some PL'ers, so I don't know if thats just consistent with what they do or it holds water for what you guys do over here.