Formulator

gotenmyoou

Well it's John's baby - I'd expect nothing less from him.  It's still fairly new - it will take a while and more exposure to figure out what's really possible on it.  But 67 sounds like a bunch.  Question - does anyone have any idea what kind of mechanical disadvatage the Formulator give?  Like 67# equates somewhat to x pounds on a bar sort of thing.

Is there any carry over to sledge levering or other 'old school'feats of wrist strength when one lifts heavy poundages on this device?

Just curious......does this sort of 'lifting'convert into a heavy ( sledge hammer leverage lift-arm parallel to the ground-to the nose) sort of wrist strength?'

What sort of improvement(poundages) are Formulator users are people seeing on their sledge lifts?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• John Wood

• Patrik_F

• gotenmyoou

I'm not sure how it converts but John uses his (as mentioned before) and he does some of the most freaky sledge levering around.

I'm not sure how it converts but John uses his (as mentioned before) and he does some of the most freaky sledge levering around.

I don't see much discussion on sledge levering....I think Super Dave Morton handles a 20# pounder to the nose,arm parallel to the ground, but i haven't hear many other 'reports'of heavy(20+lbs) sledge lifts?(other than Slims double world record)

I think the sledge IS a good test- IMHO.

What is considered freaky?

I saw John lever that damn Gama club at the night of strength with ease. The handles seems to be around 1 3/4'' and weighs probably close to 30 pounds. There were some damn strong guys at the event and not one got close to levering it.

I saw John lever that damn Gama club at the night of strength with ease. The handles seems to be around 1 3/4'' and weighs probably close to 30 pounds.

I don't have a Gama Club......never heard of it. I have sledges and axes and a Heavy Hammer II. I'd guess thats what most of us have.........

Anyone else...hows your Sledge lifting goin'...after using the formulator.Any carry over?

I do not have a formulator yet but I plan on buying one as I have been hitting my wrists real hard lately. I do lots of wrist curls/extensions and have sledge hammers from 6lbs up to 20lbs. I can handle the 20lber pretty easy to my nose for 5 reps, every additional rep after 5 gets much harder than the previous one and my max is around 8 reps. I am working on it though, just started with the sledges again about 3 weeks ago. I gotta get me one of these formulator things though, they look cool.

Edited by SHRUG

I do not have a formulator yet but I plan on buying one as I have been hitting my wrists real hard lately. I do lots of wrist curls/extensions and have sledge hammers from 6lbs up to 20lbs. I can handle the 20lber pretty easy to my nose for 5 reps, every additional rep after 5 gets much harder than the previous one and my max is around 8 reps. I am working on it though, just started with the sledges again about 3 weeks ago. I gotta get me one of these formulator things though, they look cool.

A 20-pounder for 8 reps... that seems so unreal to me. :blink:bow With wrists your size and strength, I'd be anxious to hear what you do on a formulator.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the Formulator. Great piece of equipment. It is has a very sturdy feel to it and really isolates the wrist so you can work it to the max.

I tried 25 kgs first and did 5 reps pretty easily. I threw on 30 kgs but didn't quite manage 5 reps, had to settle for 4.

gotenmyoou: How is your training with the Formulator going? What weights can you do right now?

Patrik,

If it's an Olympic collar, it's always 2.5 kg.

Rolle

Btw, I don't count in the ivanko olympic collar, it feels like it weighs about 2.5 kgs, anyone know for sure?

The Formulator collar weighs 2lbs 7oz

• 3 weeks later...
I saw John lever that damn Gama club at the night of strength with ease. The handles seems to be around 1 3/4'' and weighs probably close to 30 pounds.

I don't have a Gama Club......never heard of it. I have sledges and axes and a Heavy Hammer II. I'd guess thats what most of us have.........

Anyone else...hows your Sledge lifting goin'...after using the formulator.Any carry over?

www.gripboard.com

Here is the war Club that Atomic Athletic sells that Matt was talking about.

Also 3crusher Steve W. with a 16 lb hammer with a 36 inch handel.www.gripboard.com

Edited by nickr104

Presently I could knock out 8 reps with 35kgs. I wonder how much is considered World class.

How is the Formulator training going for everybody? I set a new PR today, I did 31 kgs for 5 reps.

Gotenmyoou? Any new PRs for you?

What kind of reps are they?

I've seen wrist curls that are nothing more than someone starting at neutral wrist and humping it up 1/2 inch. Not saying you are doing this, just curious.

Are your wrist curls in a flexion or extension position?

TIA,

Jim

If he's using that much in Extension with the Formulator, he's one major wrist stud.

I meant flexion(ofcourse?). My reps are quite strict, as low as my flexibility allows and all the way up again, curling it up, not just straightening the wrist. On the last rep I might loose form a bit, not much though.

I meant flexion(ofcourse?). My reps are quite strict, as low as my flexibility allows and all the way up again, curling it up, not just straightening the wrist. On the last rep I might loose form a bit, not much though.

I was referring to gotenmyoou in my last posts. :)

probably john brzenk, if he has one. :yikes

I usually start my reps about a inch below neutral and go up for a full curl.

What kind of reps are they?

I've seen wrist curls that are nothing more than someone starting at neutral wrist and humping it up 1/2 inch. Not saying you are doing this, just curious.