Peg Board For Climbing?

kerbjr

When I was in highschool almost 20yrs ago, they had this board with holes in it, you were given 2 dowel pegs and had to climb the board by placing pegs in holes and pulling up. It was a heck of a W/O. Anyhow, I would love to make one of these things just for fun around the house, and I think it would work the ole grip good as well as Bi's and Tri's. Anybody know how far apart to place holes, or how they are set up even? Or anybody know where I can find a picture of one? I cant remember exactly how the thing was set up...Thnks Brett

If you can find the movie 'Vision Quest' and can suffer through it you'll see one of these a few times.

Might not be worth it.....

True Vision Quest has a few clips of this peg board, or the alternative is take a trip to your local high school and look at one up close and take measurements, or better yet talk to ol'gym coach out of the damn thing and take it home. Just remember the kids when considering your options. ;-P

-Sean

I work at a school with two of them in the gym.. Ill measure it up and report back tomorrow. Hopefully I can find the pegs and give it a shot!!

~Steve

Maybe you should make a set up so that you can't put your feet against the wall to help you. I would imagine this to be great training for a one handed pullup. It would be a heck of a grip workout if you made a thickbar peg board.

GREAT ideas! I really like the thick peg bar idea. Somebody could sell that and make a heap of money... :)

Thanks for the replies fellas, the one at my old highschool is long gone, not sure where it ended up. I remember vision quest being a cool movie, but it has been a long time, might have to check it out again. Love the ideas about making it hang out away from the wall and thick grip pegs. Steve if you can get the measurements that would be great. thanks againg guys........... Brett

Take a 6' or 8' 2 x 12, get a 1" paddle bit (if you want 2" you'll probably have to use a hole saw (both of these will work in a regular drill) drill the holes 2" in from the outside of the board. On one side, start 2-4" up & put the holes every 8". On the other side put them in staggered appropriately. You'll need to have a pretty burly mounting. I'd recommend getting a 2 x 6 on the bottom & top (crossways, so it looks like a big "I") Make the 2x6's long enough to mount into the wall studs. If you don't have the tools, drop me a line & maybe I could slap one together after we get moved (less than 2 weeks) & I get caught up on Fat Bastard stuff.

I put one together last year for my kids to use in the back yard. The vertical distance between holes--that is, the distance from the center of one hole to the next--is six inches, which seems to work nicely. The holes themselves are an inch in diameter. It helps to widen slightly the "entrance" to the holes by using a slighly bigger drill--say, 1.25"--for the first quarter or half inch or so. This way you've got a bit of wiggle room when inserting the pegs.

In terms of other specs, I used two 2"x6" pieces of wood, side by side, and screwed them into two 12-foot 4"x6" posts. I sunk the latter about 2.5 feet into the ground and used a lot of cement to make it sturdy. Works quite well, though since the pieces of wood I drilled peg holes into are directly on top of the posts, my kids and their friends do tend to use their legs a bit to try to lessen the load. Still, if you keep your knees bent--i.e., heels to butt--you're not cutting the resistance hugely.

One way to prep to use it is to do chins using the pegs, with the pegs parallel and staggered. Holds are also helpful. I'll tell you--if you haven't used one of these things since elementary, middle, or high school, when you were probably a lot lighter, you're in for a shock. It's hard work. :)

John, Gerald

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for, Ive got a machine shed that has a 15' high ceiling in the middle and will make a great place to house this thing. Have already hung a ladder from the ceiling for monkey bars. After going to the playground with my 7yr old daughter and having my arse handed to me, ive decided to work on my climbing abillity a little. Also my shoulder girdle was so tight I could barely hang by 1 hand... In just 1 week on the ole monkey bars things have improved dramatically, plus it is a great W/O on the bi's and lats....I have got all the tools and supplies to do this and will probably get started tonight. Thanks guys will let you know how it works out.....Next up a nice thick rope.....Brett

official measuremants of the two pegboards at the middleschool I work at..

6"wide board, 1.25" pegs, pegs are 1" in from the edge, and they are 4" apart on-center, staggered.

Now, Id use 2" pegs .. pvc or black pipe nipples would probably work. Id make my board two layers thick (3") for strength, and I put the pegs 6" apart. 6" is a bit close, but it allows 12" jumps if you skip a hole. Id also make my board from a 2x10 since my shoulders are wider than the average 12yr old middleschooler.

have fun let us know how it turns out!!!

~Steve

If you can find the movie 'Vision Quest' and can suffer through it you'll see one of these a few times.

Might not be worth it.....

Ahhh cmooonnnn. I'm a wrestler so thats like sacrilage man. Gotta love that movie. :rock

I also recently rediscovered the value of these type exercises as I was taking my 6-year-old daughter Savannah to different playgrounds on our post. I thought hey I wonder if she could cross the money bars and to my surprise her first time on some she zipped across them and back pretty easy, especially after I taught her to catch each one with one hand and not go to each one with both hands. As we made our daddy daughter rounds we found some round rings on small chains that were not stable as the fixed bars but she quickly mastered those to, then some swinging triangles. I just hung on some trying to oull my spine out line a bendy straw.

The next day was a Saturday and we were looking for a good place to fly some kits we just bought and on our exploring we happened upon a obstacle confidence course used by the infantry guys. Well the wife and me were reminiscing about our times on these as boot camp back in 91. The first was a 50 or 60 foot ladder with spaced out rungs, closer at the bottom but really spread out at the top so a short guy like me has to kinda jump up and latch on to the next to last ones then over the top and back down which ic even worse for footing. My wife said I bet you can't and I was up that thing with quickness and over the side as she was panicking and my little girl was up to the second rung already. What a rush it had been 13 years since I done one of those. The out next station was three balance beams about 4, 5, and 6 foot off the ground to a set of adult monkey bars with some wide gaps between the bars that was about 10-12 foot from the ground, but to my relief and amazement I went across at a good speed, but I noticed a good fatigue in my hand and a slight pump in my forearms. Well we just kept walking down the lane and I would demonstrate how to do all these adult play toys for my daughter the only one we didn't do was the low crawling under the 50 foot section of triple strand strung barbed wire, because it was a little muddy under the 16" crawl space. We had fun for a dew minutes, I got some cool points from my daughter and thought maybe I will come out here once a week to run through it and hit the grip while I am at it. Variety is the spice of life for sure. Oh and the 30' plus rope climb was kicking my ass allot more than I ever remember it doing. When I was a young warrior full of vinegar I could shimmy up and down that thing pretty well but age and wieght is catching up on me. So I think I will try this more in the future. :erm <---that is my body looking at what my mouth just said :laugh

I've been going to make one for sometime. Unfortunately, when I have the time, I lack the cash,. I also have a serious problem with room...

some real ones are here:

http://www.shapeupshop.com/fitness/pegboards.html

http://www.outdoorfunstore.com/sports/fitness15.asp

I have an article with advice on making one, but right now can't locate it. However I remember one key was to make the holes at a 10 degree downward angle, so the peg won't slip out.

Made one tonight, best of all it was free. Used a 2x6 10 foot long board and drilled 1in holes every 8 inches staggered. hung it up in the shed but didnt have any dowel rod. It is a soft wood so durabillity will prob be poor, but then again my durabillity aint what it used to be either. will let you know how it works tomorrow night..Thanks to all for suggestions...Brett

Tried it out tonight and it works pretty well, was worried that the 2x6 would be too narrow but feels good. I would suggest a hardwood for the dowels as my pine ones already show wear and tear, I could see them eventually busting. I admittingly had to use my feet to cheat to make it to the top, it is very hard to hit the holes and falling sucks for us old people. The 8 inch spacing is about as much as I can handle, at least now, got some great blisters and my lats and bis are dying, great w/o for sure....Sorry i have no way to take and post pics, but it is rather simple, just a 2x6 board with holes drilled every 8 inches-staggered though right side then left, i hung it in a pole barn on my rear center pole...Total investment was less than 5 bucks after bolts and dowels, the 2x6 was an old one I had lying around.....Brett