A Grip Principle Applied To Armwrestling?

diesel

ok, in all honesty....

so i was watching the armwrestling competition the other day. now, me being a grip athlete (pretty much solely right now, along with typical strength training) had to ask this question (and i know you aren't supposed to talk about this on the gripboard, but i am trying to be honest and understand this better...)

so here goes:

could one hypothetically squeeze the ever loving daylights out of an opponent's hand to make them lose leverage, concentration, strength, etc? is this a legal move, or are there rules against this? is it understood that you don't do this between guys, or is it whatever goes goes?

it sounds relatively silly, but i am curious, and feel like you guys are the best to ask about it.

thanx

Most of the better armwrestlers will not use excess crushing. It doesn't really aid your cause. In fact it will probably burn you out.

It depends on what technique you use, but you may use quite a relaxed grip. It is more important to use a cupped grip that goes round your opponents hand, and with finger tip strength at the end to stop him coming out of the grip. Wrist strength is a very important key.

David

Most of the better armwrestlers will not use excess crushing. It doesn't really aid your cause. In fact it will probably burn you out.

It depends on what technique you use, but you may use quite a relaxed grip. It is more important to use a cupped grip that goes round your opponents hand, and with finger tip strength at the end to stop him coming out of the grip. Wrist strength is a very important key.

David

Yeah I also beleive I have found myself a training method for training fingertip stength. I hope it works well...it simulates the form of the hand in the cupped grip...

It might help, sometimes...

At lunch time at the Arnold Classic a few of us went to the Mongolian Barbeque. While standing at the grill, one of the cooks asked who wanted a Mongolian Barbeque sports cup, and I enthusiastically responded. He then said that I had to beat one of the other cooks in armwrestling to get the cup.

So there I was, with average body strength, but above average grip. I immediately put up my left arm - to confuse my opponent. And then as soon as I had his hand, I just squeezed it for all my might, attempting to squeeze his fingers right off his fist. He had a quick look of shock, and while he was peeing his pants, I quickly pinned his wrist to the counter.

But in a serious armwrestling match, I think you just can't squeeze hard enough to cause any real damage or concern; you'd just wear yourself out.

It actually depends on your opponent... it might work against a new guy with little strength... but in the set-up, a smart opponent will use your crushing as their advantage, taking longer to set up (up to 1 minute) before the refs grip is called. By that time you're so tired you lose a lot of power off the go.

Likewise, if you squeeze that hard, it takes a lot of pwoer out of your hit, so even if you do start like that before refs grip, they can still hit into your hand, and you would likely still go down.

a firm grip is good, loading up with back and side pressure... but you can only do that if they're matching your load, otherwise you pull them off center..

Some guys also prefer a looser grip, with a bit of an air pocket between the hands, these guys usually hit hard and fast, the space gives that extra bit of momentum..

now if you apply wrist strength you are talking i armwrestled a guy who overpowered my hand and torked my hand anyway he wanted and growled like a bear while he was doing it so wrist strength is the way to go :whacked

• 1 month later...
now if you apply wrist strength you are talking i armwrestled a guy who overpowered my hand and torked my hand anyway he wanted and growled like a bear while he was doing it so wrist strength is the way to go  :whacked

ic. interesting.

It actually depends on your opponent...  it might work against a new guy with little strength...  but in the set-up, a smart opponent will use your crushing as their advantage, taking longer to set up (up to 1 minute) before the refs grip is called. By that time you're so tired you lose a lot of power off the go.

Likewise, if you squeeze that hard, it takes a lot of pwoer out of your hit, so even if you do start like that before refs grip, they can still hit into your hand, and you would likely still go down.

a firm grip is good, loading up with back and side pressure... but you can only do that if they're matching your load, otherwise you pull them off center..

Some guys also prefer a looser grip, with a bit of an air pocket between the hands, these guys usually hit hard and fast, the space gives that extra bit of momentum..

ic. interesting as well.