2005 Australian Grip Championship

Mikael Siversson

Hi fellas,

It's about time we had another comp for grip. Sounds like a very different contest again. I can see that there are still non-grip events in the contest but if everyone agrees then who am I to argue. There are a few grip events that seem to be omitted that would be fun. The hub lift that Mark would excel at, the Cone lift that was fun for most, and the Rim lift which was mentioned already. The younger fellows are not going to excel at that deadlift event. Since Mikael is handicapped by an injury this should concern the organizers. Why include an event that some cannot perform well, and not because they lack grip strength. The vertical bar is a deadlift movement, anyway.

Maybe the lads would like to get together at the gym on Sundays again? That was a lot of fun.

My grip machine is available to train on. I have the following handles for it: pinch, rolling thunder, cone, hub. My pinch plate is 2 inches wide.

I doubt I will be competing but who knows.

Question to Nick. How does David's pinch apparatus compare with what we have used? I mean, how much can you lift on it? Just curious.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mcham

• Jeff T

• Nick McKinless

The lifts stand and were agreed upon sometime ago right here. They are all grip events Vince so please dont go there. These are not mine or anyone elses choice but the competitors themselves.

I did around 100kg on the Euro set up at David's last year. Also for what it's worth, I pulled 140kg (not 135kg) on the pinch block first time with you at your old gym. In training I have pulled 160kg about 2 years ago and over 70kg with one hand. They dont count though as they were in training.

Nick

Hi Nick,

You guys have whatever events you want and call it whatever you want.

Sorry about that 140 kg you did. If I remember that night you might have done more but stopped there. We did wonder how high we could have gone if we kept training on this lift. Congratulations on your 160kg. They all count no matter where and when they were done.

So 100kg is a lot on David's block. That is what I thought since David has done just a bit more. Will be interesting to see what the lads do in the contest this year.

• 2 weeks later...
This is why Mikael posted about the proposed events here REALLY early! I'm basically helping but not organizing the competition this year. Arthur and Mikael will finalize the details and I'll assist with judging and trophies etc.

The Hold event is one I think should stay in the OZ champs to set us apart. There's still 4 events there to compare with the rest of the world. I didn't propose the Farmer's hold because last time a few were holding in excess of 800lbs total weight for nearly 30 seconds. However I am happy to have it again if everyone wants it.

Let's keep discussing this, we have plenty of time.

Nick

Nick that 800 lb plus grip hold is excellent. Do you have the names of the competitors who did that much? Exact amount? Exact times held? I keep various grip records that's why I'm asking. BTW what city was the contest held in and the exact date? Thanks for any help you can give. :)

There is one major drawback with holds of any kind for time: it makes it extremely difficult to use a fair formula. It is fairly straight forward for the other events as we could use coefficients based on the top six guys in each event in the 2005 Europeans. Lets say that the average score in grippers for the top six is 6.63. For the Europeans we (basically me and David Horne) set the average to 100 in each event for the top six in previous competitions; i.e. the coefficient for grippers would then be 15.08. With a hypothetical average in the pinch of 94.2k for the top six in the pinch would give a coefficient of 1.062, and so on. So closing a 3.22 gripper righty and a 2.81 lefty would give a total of 6.03 and a score of 90.93. If you then pinch 81k you would get 86.02 points. This means that you are better at grippers than at pinch compared to the best. A slightly different approach would be needed in the bending, but it would still be doable. We would need to know where two different stocks meet difficulty-wise so to speak; e.g., at what length do an 8mm softish HRS compare to a 7'' piece of 5/16'' red nail stock in the 60 degree kink event for example. I am sure some of the best non-DO benders on the GripBoard would help us out with this so we could come up with an average length. We could then ask the best non-DO guys how short red nail stock they can kink to 60 degrees with our rules. This length could then be taken to equal the best pinch, v-bar or gripper results from the Europeans. Lets assume the best 60 degree non-DO unbraced kink is 6'' red nail stock and the best pinch (David Horne's 105k) scores 110 points, Jim's 317.6k in v-bar scores 116 points and Benny Wennberg's 6.76 in grippers scores 104 points. This would give an average of 110 points which would be a sort of logical score to give a 6'' red nail 60 degree kink. A 6 1/4'' red nail kink would give 105.6p (6 divided by 6.25 X 110), a 6 1/2'' would give  101.5 points (6.25 divided by 6.5 X 105.6p) a 6 3/4'' gives 6.5 divided by 6.75 X 101.5p= 97.74p. Note that the differences in points between two steps decreases with increasing length of the bar, which is reasonable considering that the relationship between bending difficulty and bar length is not linear within the 5 1/2-7'' range. The steps in difficulty are perceived as progressively bigger the shorter the bar is as the section of the bar making up the curve is more or less constant compared to the rapid decrease in the length of the straight legs. This scheme would probably work ok all the way down to a 1/4'' stock. If the drop in points is too large we could easily adjust for this so that the range of points in the bending is roughly in line with those in the other events.

Mikael, I like your scoring system--sounds very well thought out and very fair!

• 2 weeks later...

Nick, Arthur and Mikael... are you guys going to do any promotion of this contest outside of the grip board?

I bought some heavy grips the other day from a supplier in NSW (they're in Lismore I think) http://strengthsupplies.com. The guy there said he'd had two customers (besides myself ;)) who closed the HG300 the first time they tried. This says to me there's a bunch of guys out there who not only have strong grips, but are interested enough in grip strength to buy grippers.

Unless of course they all happen to be on the gripboard already :)

Edited by mcham

Nick, Arthur and Mikael... are you guys going to do any promotion of this contest outside of the grip board?

I bought some heavy grips the other day from a supplier in NSW (they're in Lismore I think) http://strengthsupplies.com. The guy there said he'd had two customers (besides myself ;)) who closed the HG300 the first time they tried. This says to me there's a bunch of guys out there who not only have strong grips, but are interested enough in grip strength to buy grippers.

Unless of course they all happen to be on the gripboard already :)

Well it will be very hard for me to convince someone in Perth that is not really into grip strength to spend a considerable amount of money to go to Sydney. I still work out at home but will see what I can do.

It looks like I will be able to make it to Sydney. I'll will be well prepared so there will be no excuses.

I have been asked to supply or help with bending stock. The easiest nails available at the competition will be IM yellow nails (or 1/4'' stock of similar strength). Make sure you can kink one (no DO) in one single motion to 60 degrees following the LGC bending rules (the "kink" part) posted earlier, using a tea towel (split or in one piece). If you can't you will score zero points in this event.

At this stage I was thinking of using four different bending mtrl to create a good selection of bars;

IM 1/4 stock

FBBC 1/4'' stock

LGC 8mm HRS stock (very similar in kink difficulty to G5's at the same length)

A suitable 8mm CRS stock, something between a G5 and G8 in 60 degrees kink difficulty at the same length.

Possibly also G8's (5 1/2-6'').

Please let me know if any of you will need even harder stock (such as 1/4'' square stock from FBBC or IM red nails).

At the 5 1/2-7'' interval they should all overlap to some extent.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

Since I will be ordering the pinch apparatus for the competiton, let me know if any of you guys are also interested in getting one so I can order them all at once and save us all on the costs.

I already have two apparatuses to order at the moment, so if anyone else is interested let me know by the end of this week so I can get all the orders through.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark,

Feel free to contact anyone who you may think is interested in competing. I have been thinking of contacting both CAPO and the Oceania Powerlifting Fed and giving them some minimum qualifying standards to pass on to their athletes. Shoot me an email or send me your MSN details when you get a chance to discuss if you're interested.

Arthur

Howdy Arthur

Contacting the powerlifting orgs would be cool - some of the big deadlifters are bound to have decent grips. I think this would cover the same guys who are ordering powerlifting equipment from strengthsupplies.com anyway.

A flyer I could print out and stick up at my local gym would be cool too.

Cheers

Mark

Howdy Arthur

Contacting the powerlifting orgs would be cool - some of the big deadlifters are bound to have decent grips. I think this would cover the same guys who are ordering powerlifting equipment from strengthsupplies.com anyway.

A flyer I could print out and stick up at my local gym would be cool too.

Cheers

Mark

Just make sure people invited have a strong grip overall. Virtually all PL's I have tested have done well in no more than two out of five event, unless they have practised with grippers. We don't really want more than about 12 competitors unless we want to spend 10+ hours, watching people struggle with a #2 gripper and failing the easiest nail. It is pointless to invite powerlifters if they can't kink a yellow nail to 60 degrees with the Euro rules. So make sure they understand that participation requires a certain standard.

It is pointless to invite powerlifters if they can't kink a yellow nail to 60 degrees with the Euro rules. So make sure they understand that participation requires a certain standard.

Man, luckily i can do that :happy

The thing i like about grip strength is that it doesn't come down to who is the biggest baddest guy, it can be anybody. Regardless of handsize, even though it's hand strength we practice, we shouldn't get any divisions in that either. What's next? Thumbpad thickness? :laugh

Weight classes, like i said is not usefull either. OH lifts, or a event like bending, when for example comparing Wennberg to David (hey, that's actually David and Goliath), in the end it will still come down to overall strength no matter how heavy a person is. My 2 eurocents.. :happy

Thanks Mark,

I'll be creating a website in the next week or so that will outline all the details of the competition. We can then point all interested parties to the site for further information.

I have spoken with Mikael regarding minimum qualifying standards and it was along the lines of the following:

4.0 total in the grippers

60kg two handed pinch

V-bar total of 200kg

One arm dealift total of 160kg

Kink a IM yellow in one motion to at least 60 degrees

It seems reasonable and I'd go so far as saying that if anybody could at least meet 3, preferably 4 of those standards they should compete depending on the numbers (of competitors). What we don't want are guys rocking up thinking they have strong grip, yet have never wrapped a nail or used a gripper before. Like Mikael said they should "understand that participation requires a certain standard". Hopefully the new website will go along way to explaining the details.

Edited by Arthur Antonopoulos