2005 Australian Grip Championship

Mikael Siversson

Nick, Arthur and myself have been planning an Australian grip championship this year for some time. It seems it is going to take place in Sydney, preliminary in November, and quite possibly at Arthur's place. The events and rules would be as the following:

1. Grippers (left+right), Euro/LGC/MM cert. rules (they are all the same). We will even be using the very same grippers they are using at this years European Championship. The scoring will follow that of the European Championship. Currently we will have access to grippers rated at 2.02, 2.35, 2.69, 2.81, 2.87, 3.03, 3.22, 3.38, 3.48 and probably also 3.65 (we need your BBSE David!). In addition to these there will also be easier ones including a #1 and another around 1.8. At this point it does not seem like we will need harder ones than an "easy" BBSE, but I don't know about you Nick. :shifty

2. Two hand pinch, adjustable for width. Euro set up and Euro rules.

3. Vertical bar (left+right) with a LGC replica. Euro rules.

4. Bending. The "kink" sub-event of the revised LGC bending rules (posted on the GripBoard). At least three stocks of iron will be available, ranging from 1/4'' roughly comparable to IM's yellow/blue stock, via an 8mm softish HRS stock, to a stock close to the strength of red nail stock (just in case).

5. A bar hold event. We were thinking of a "behind your back" bar hold with the palms facing back.

All for now. Please contact Arthur, Nick or myself for more details.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mcham

• Jeff T

• Nick McKinless

Nick, Arthur and myself have been planning an Australian grip championship this year for some time. It seems it is going to take place in Sydney, preliminary in November, and quite possibly at Arthur's place. The events and rules would be as the following:

1. Grippers (left+right), Euro/LGC/MM cert. rules (they are all the same). We will even be using the very same grippers they are using at this years European Championship. The scoring will follow that of the European Championship. Currently we will have access to grippers rated at 2.02, 2.35, 2.69, 2.81, 2.87, 3.03, 3.22, 3.38, 3.48 and probably also 3.65 (we need your BBSE David!). In addition to these there will also be easier ones including a #1 and another around 1.8. At this point it does not seem like we will need harder ones than an "easy" BBSE, but I don't know about you Nick. :shifty

2. Two hand pinch, adjustable for width. Euro set up and Euro rules.

3. Vertical bar (left+right) with a LGC replica. Euro rules.

4. Bending. The "kink" sub-event of the revised LGC bending rules (posted on the GripBoard). At least three stocks of iron will be available, ranging from 1/4'' roughly comparable to IM's yellow/blue stock, via an 8mm softish HRS stock, to a stock close to the strength of red nail stock (just in case).

5. A bar hold event. We were thinking of a "behind your back" bar hold with the palms facing back.

All for now. Please contact Arthur, Nick or myself for more details.

Sounds like it's going to be a great contest!

Though, I want to point out that the LGC and MM rules aren't exactly the same. With MM rules you are not allowed to "brace" the gripper against you while setting it, in LGC you are. (at least you or Arne told me so)

Are these events totally set or are you open for a discussion?

Good luck with the contest anyway!

Though, I want to point out that the LGC and MM rules aren't exactly the same. With MM rules you are not allowed to "brace" the gripper against you while setting it, in LGC you are. (at least you or Arne told me so)

Are these events totally set or are you open for a discussion?

Good luck with the contest anyway!

Ahh, I forgot about the Arne rule, where he sets it somewhere in the groin area :blink . Well then it is MM rules.

The first four are more or less set. Do you want to discuss rules in competitions you are not participating in? Nothing wrong with that I suppose.

Mikael,

Off course you can borrow the BBSE gripper.

David

Thanks David. That's great.

Ahh, I forgot about the Arne rule, where he sets it somewhere in the groin area :blink . Well then it is MM rules.

The first four are more or less set. Do you want to discuss rules in competitions you are not participating in? Nothing wrong with that I suppose.

I like the "Arne rule" because of my injured shoulders, with braced settings I don't have to put so much stress on the shoulders.

It was the last event I was thinking about. Isn't a lift behind the back kind of dangerous? You definitely need two good spotters to catch the bar. Why not just the normal one hand lift with a handle (like in LGC)?

I like the "Arne rule" because of my injured shoulders, with braced settings I don't have to put so much stress on the shoulders.

It was the last event I was thinking about. Isn't a lift behind the back kind of dangerous? You definitely need two good spotters to catch the bar. Why not just the normal one hand lift with a handle (like in LGC)?

I think it is going to be off a rack, so it should not be a problem.

Why not just the normal one hand lift with a handle (like in LGC)?

Arthur and Nick wanted a hold to give the competition a slightly different mix of lifts which I think is fine. I am more than happy that basically 3 1/2 of the events are the same as in the European championship.

Hey Mikael

Isn't any two-hand hold with a barbell going to have the problem of hitching/resting the bar on the body? I guess that's why you guys picked a hold behind the back because it would be harder to hitch it... but it could still be possible to rest it on our arses :)

One hand holds or farmers types holds would be easier to judge.... or even hanging from a bar or rope, or holding a load on a cable with a rope or handle, or something like that.

A hanging type event would give those of us with extraneous weight a good reason to slim down :whistel

Hey Mikael

Isn't any two-hand hold with a barbell going to have the problem of hitching/resting the bar on the body? I guess that's why you guys picked a hold behind the back because it would be harder to hitch it... but it could still be possible to rest it on our arses :)

One hand holds or farmers types holds would be easier to judge.... or even hanging from a bar or rope, or holding a load on a cable with a rope or handle, or something like that.

A hanging type event would give those of us with extraneous weight a good reason to slim down :whistel

I don't know, have not tried it. Ask Nick or Arthur. Last time I spoke to them they had not finalized the details of the fifth event, other than that it would be some kind of bar hold.

Just noticed the thread.

Nick told me about the events about a week ago and I've had a couple of training sessions. Justin seems keen to compete as well.

I tried the behind the back hold yesterday for the first time. I found it pretty awkward just lifting the weight and couldn't find a comfortable position to put the bar. It seemed to just poke right into my arse and the knurling kept catching on my pants stopping me from lifting the bar into a proper position. ROM was about 8 inches.

Any idea what weight will be used, Nick mentioned 200-300lbs. I could only hold on to 140kg for a few seconds, so the proposed weight sounds about right for the end of the year.

I'm going to try and get a few people I know join the comp as well, could be a good comp.

Hmm.. November. Nick mentioned mid-late December to me. If that's possible then that would be great, as uni final exams fall in November.

Do you plan to compete Mark?

Yep. I enjoyed the comp year before last, would like to do it again.

My grip is crap at the moment... but a comp is good incentive to fix this.

This is why Mikael posted about the proposed events here REALLY early! I'm basically helping but not organizing the competition this year. Arthur and Mikael will finalize the details and I'll assist with judging and trophies etc.

The Hold event is one I think should stay in the OZ champs to set us apart. There's still 4 events there to compare with the rest of the world. I didn't propose the Farmer's hold because last time a few were holding in excess of 800lbs total weight for nearly 30 seconds. However I am happy to have it again if everyone wants it.

Let's keep discussing this, we have plenty of time.

Nick

I did an axle hold at the my first contest, and a block weight hold at the second one. Fun event.

Yeah good point about the excessively heavy loads in the farmers hold last year Nick. With people like Justin it wasn't really the grip that went first.

I really liked the one hand rim lift that we used in the first comp. Maybe it's a bit too similar to the other events.

But I'm happy to keep the behind the back hold if that's what people want.

Bob, how was the axle hold for us folk with little hands? I'd think there'd be a pretty big disadvantage for the small handed folk, I can't touch my finger and thumb around a 2" bar. Not that I'd complain if it were an event.

This will also be a qualifying competition for the 2006 Europeans (assuming Arne organises it next year as well) for Nick (would then compete for England) and myself.

Great news, Mikael!

We thought about organizing the 2006 Euros in Germany.

I think, Hermann Korte would organize it.

I would like to see you both guys competing in the Euros 2006 if they are in Germany too.

Why not do the behind-the-back hold with hands close together ie. with the backs of the hands/wrists actually resting against the buttocks?

This might get around the problems Jeff T encountered.

I tried the behind the back hold yesterday for the first time. I found it pretty awkward just lifting the weight and couldn't find a comfortable position to put the bar. It seemed to just poke right into my arse and the knurling kept catching on my pants stopping me from lifting the bar into a proper position. ROM was about 8 inches.

It makes lifting the bar extremely difficult with the hands in such a position.

Surely not if you're taking the bar from a rack a few inches below your hand height? That's how I thought Mikael said it was going to be done.

I dunno, maybe it's easier for you than me. Have a try and see what you think. I find it extremely awkward to do and can't keep my arms straight with my hands in such a position. I don't have particularly flexible shoulders.

There's also no knurling that close in, though I suppose it is a grip contest.

It doesn't work with the hands too close. I can't straighten my arms in that position either Jeff. We'll think of something. Plenty of time.

Part of the reason I didn't want to do the One Hand Lift is because some of the lifters are really only grip guys and the One Hand Lift is a full body lift with grip as the weak link for the heavier lifters. With the smaller guys it's the back not the grip that's the weak link though, hence the hold.

If we did a hold from a chin up bar we'd have to take into account bodyweight and add weight to the lighter lifters to make it fair. As you can see my main concern is making this a competition fair for everyone. I would love to have the One Hand Lift in as it is a good event for me but I'm happy to keep it out for the lighter lifters.

We also can't really have a thick bar hold because that is not fair on the smaller handed people.

I have thought about a 4" wrist roller event where you roll the bar up with a curl/underhand grip for maximum weight. There are a few problems, again, hand size and also bicep strength. However, the 4" size seems to give large hands just as much hassle as small hands and the biceps strength required is not too big anyway. This is also a great event to watch! Just throwing stuff in for now...

Nick

It doesn't work with the hands too close. I can't straighten my arms in that position either Jeff. We'll think of something. Plenty of time.

Part of the reason I didn't want to do the One Hand Lift is because some of the lifters are really only grip guys and the One Hand Lift is a full body lift with grip as the weak link for the heavier lifters. With the smaller guys it's the back not the grip that's the weak link though, hence the hold.

If we did a hold from a chin up bar we'd have to take into account bodyweight and add weight to the lighter lifters to make it fair. As you can see my main concern is making this a competition fair for everyone. I would love to have the One Hand Lift in as it is a good event for me but I'm happy to keep it out for the lighter lifters.

We also can't really have a thick bar hold because that is not fair on the smaller handed people.

I have thought about a 4" wrist roller event where you roll the bar up with a curl/underhand grip for maximum weight. There are a few problems, again, hand size and also bicep strength. However, the 4" size seems to give large hands just as much hassle as small hands and the biceps strength required is not too big anyway. This is also a great event to watch! Just throwing stuff in for now...

Nick

Two objections to having a wrist roller event. One is that we would then have two wrist events, which is not the norm. The second argument is that you want to beat me Nick by being stronger, not by default. I simply can't wrist curl with my left hand as I tore some ligaments there doing the table top wrist curl a couple of years ago.