Hand Size

Patrik_F

What are the pros and cons of having a big/small hand in armwrestling? What technique or tactics could you use to your advantage depending on hand size of you and your opponent?

I have seen some video clips of John Brzenk, as far as I can see he has pretty small hands?

Big hands make it easier to controll another guys hands and make it easier to pull outside especially toprolling. you can overcome this thought with strong hands. Some of the best pullers in the world have small hands. Im new to this sport so if any of my info is off base let me know guys! lol

Austin

I'm also a newbie but i know that it is very hard to get a good grip on someone that has a very thick hand. Hand thickness may be of bigger importance than hand lenght?

I have pulled a little in training against one of the best heavyweights here in Sweden; Ralf Johansson , and he has extremly thick hands, very powerfull too of course.

Hello Golgotha!

Long time, no see. Yes, that makes sense, hand thickness and the structure of the hand certainly also plays a big role. I have seen Ralf Johansson on the Legends of Armwrestling DVD, he looked powerful. How does it feel to pull against him? Completely unstoppable? How much do you weigh btw?

Hello Patrik! Well i can't move Ralfs arm a mm no matter what i do! It feels like he's made of stone !:bow It's hard to understand how strong the top pullers really are until you pull against them.

My weight is 97kg.

Edited by golgotha

I feel that hand size in armwrestling can be an asset or a curse depending on how the puller uses it. It is just like any other physical body parts. Technically guys with shorter arms have a better leverage advantage but if a guy with a long forearm learns how to use it to his advantage watch out.

I train with bill sinks who has one of the biggest and best known hands in armwrestling. I have huge hands and his dwarf mine. As an expirienced armwrestler he has learned how to use them to his advantage. I dont think John Brzenk has small hands, I think he has normal sized hands which are probably a little on the small size in the armwrestling world. That example right there shows you how important it can be. Hos hands arnt massive and look how well he pulls. To play devils advocate cleve dean had huge hands and they served his perpose will also.

:D Allen Fischer's hands don't look real little and seems to have done alright as well

years ago when cleve dean ruled the table i think his hand size helped him win more than his strength you could hear the opponents yelling about the size they couldn't get a good grip on him :cry in an older iron mind book they show him with an ironmind no 3 gripper and you have to look real hard to see the gripper so my vote is big hands have it :yikes

Yeah, obviously, in most cases a big hand is more advantageous. The only instance I can think of when a bigger hand could become a disadvantage is when someone toprolls the bigger hand, then the hand and fingers of the bigger hand will have it harder to recover since the leverage working against the arm would be greater than if the hand would be smaller.

I still wish my hands were bigger though... :laugh

Yeah, obviously, in most cases a big hand is more advantageous. The only instance I can think of when a bigger hand could become a disadvantage is when someone toprolls the bigger hand, then the hand and fingers of the bigger hand will have it harder to recover since the leverage working against the arm would be greater than if the hand would be smaller.

I still wish my hands were bigger though...  :laugh

hey guys,

I've been checkin this forum out.........awesome

just curious how someone uses a long forearm to their advantage. I have real long arms at 6'6" 315lbs

ps. I don't know anything about technique

thanks for the info,

burner

burner... if you have a long forearm iit works well to your advantage because you can post very well... which means you drive your elbow to the front of the pad and post your arm straight up... iit gives you advantage because if the other guys has a shorter arm he wont be able to get on top of your hand and gain hand control.... depending how strong you are, you might end up slipping out... and into the straps... something you'll have to play around with

I guess that is an advantage I could use, my forearms are quite long I think, they are about 12 inches measured from under the elbow to the wrist line.

I guess that is an advantage I could use, my forearms are quite long I think, they are about 12 inches measured from under the elbow to the wrist line.

Odd that you think your forearms are long! I see mine as short but they measure 12 1/4'' Maybe mine are longer than they appear.

mine are 13"... and I consider them short, or average....

Mine is just below 12 and they also seem long, and I am rather long.

If we measure the same way you with 13 have to be quite a bit more then 2 meters then or have a unusual body shape I think.

When I measured them again, they are 13", but I always thought my forearms were quite long. Maybe they are not as long as I thought :blush

Mine is like 15 1/2".......we are measuring the length of our lower arm right not the size of our forearm?

• 3 months later...

11.5 for me and small hands. Looks like I'll be starting at a disadvantage.

I guess top rolling will be next to impossible.

So what do I concentrate on?........maybe backpresure to get them to my side then press? I better start curling hard if that's the case.

Hard to say. One way would be to try to slip the grip and then take him down in the straps. Another way would be to try to grip low and lock his top roll up. Try different things.

Hard to say. One way would be to try to slip the grip and then take him down in the straps. Another way would be to try to grip low and lock his top roll up. Try different things.

I'm just trying to think ahead. The guys I'm going to pull with this week will surely give me some tips. I'm just trying to do my homework before I get there. I know there will be lots to learn.

I think this was in Iron Grip(?)

David Horn interviewed John Brzenk for Iron Grip and Brzenk said that a large hand was one of the most important things to have if you want to be an armwrestler. I don't remember his exact words but he made the point with a lot of emphasis on how important a large hand is for armwrestling.

i think a thick hand has a lot of play in armwrestling