First Tournament

austinslater

I just did my first armwrestling tournament and it was a blast! My first match I lost to the eventual winner. I wasnt ready for the speed of an experienced armwrestler and it was a learning experience to say the least. My next match was against a guy who finished 2nd or 3rd out of 10 guys. the first time we hooked up he tried to take my wrist and I toprolled him but lifted my elbow right before pinning him so I fouled. we went again and I had him pretty close and he slipped out as I was toprolling him. I thought if a guy intentionall slips before loosing that he loses automaticly but I guess not. we went to the straps the 3rd time and after about 10 sec. of back and forth I just burned out and he took me down. I had alot of fun and learned a ton from the guys at the tourney. I was doing some things wrong and after the first guy beat me he explained what I should of done. Ill also do some things differently in training. The second guy tried to take my wrist but I think all the plate wrist curls enabled me to withstand it. I really need to work on my backpressure and wrist strength with front levering work. Its wierd but the only thing sore on me is the top of my wrist similar to a rev. curl motion. for any of you experience pullers is this an obvious weakness spot for me then and any remedies to strengthen it? the inside of my elbow and my wrist flexors feel great and dont seem to be stressed at all.

On a side note I close a hg300 and it was the first time they have seen it closed so I got to keep it. nice gripper and perfect for no sets. Ill be entering a few tournys this year. Great comraderie between the competitors and all were willing to help me out.

Austin

Forgot to mention that Jacob Abbott who is one of the best in the world at 198 showed me some stuff that I need to do and it was unreal how strong a top puller is. He was just toying with all of us. Nice guy too and we are going to hook up for some training in the future.

Austin

Cool, just a silly little question, is front levering when you lever just straight out infront instead of side to side? Sort of a Hammer Curl thing for the wrists?

Great report, sounds like it went well and most importantly you had a lot of fun. They must not have know whom they were dealing with when they handed you the HG300 :D

Edited by jad

Very cool.

Forgot to mention that Jacob Abbott who is one of the best in the world at 198 showed me some stuff that I need to do and it was unreal how strong a top puller is. He was just toying with all of us. Nice guy too and we are going to hook up for some training in the future.

Austin

And just think man......Mike Selearis can destroy Jacob Abbot.......I dunno if they ever pulled......but I have seen some people that Jacob Abbot lost to absolutely get destroyed by Mike Selearis...... :bow .......I just wanna pull against all the top pros.......Travis Bagent...Mike Selearis, John Brzenk, Ron Bath....all of them....... :D Nice report on your first tourny......when I can find one close to me or have money to fly to one I sure as hell will......I am sure you felt the same way......get up there just to see how you compare to them.......it's insane how strong they are....hope to here more reports or give you some of my own!!!

I dont know about killing Jacob Abbott. He has beaten John B. among others and is ranked 1-2 in north america right now. I talked to another top puller who thinks Jacob will win the chehelis showdown were all the top guys will be on july 30th. Im hoping to pull in the open class. Thanks for the kind words guys!

way to go austin you will get better and better you bring up memories back in the 80s they had armwrestling here in maryland twice a year and i was pretty good this guy who was one of the best at the time was steve stanaway he always carried a brown paper bag i thought it was his lunch but when it came time for him on the table he reached in and coated his hands so white they looked like gloves and you did not slip re grip or pull out of his hand the first time he beat me in about 4 seconds which was good at the time because he was real good and had arms the size of coconuts and cut i was 18 at the time the second time he came to town it was in the mall put on by wpaa i think the guys name was goldman but i might be wrong i had trained like a nut for 6 months at this time the sport was getting big they wheeled in a guy in a cage and smacked him around and he eventually won all his bouts mad dog was his name i beat steve this time but lost to a new guy jim northern a carpenter from virginia over 20 inch arms and has a spot in overthe top and i had him to the mat but couldn't pin him and he pulled me back for the pin . i placed 2 this time and for the next 3 years in a row i held 2 and 3 in every tournament in maryland but never first win or lose i hope you have as much fun as i did then all this talk about armwrestling and on the cover of iron mind is getting me interested again but maryland is the worst state for armwrestling so start carrying chalk and keep gripping and they wont get away in a slip anymore ill look forward to reading anymore posts you have on your new hobby see ya :yikes

I dont know about killing Jacob Abbott. He has beaten John B. among others and is ranked 1-2 in north america right now. I talked to another top puller who thinks Jacob will win the chehelis showdown were all the top guys will be on july 30th. Im hoping to pull in the open class. Thanks for the kind words guys!

I dunno it will be interesting to watch......I look forward to seeing Mike and Jake pull eachother.....it would be a good match...

I think on Pulling John, Abbot is ranked #5 and Selearis is ranked #2 maybe. On that level though anybody can beat anybody it's just whose "on" that day. I don't know of any of the elite guys that are undefeated in their career.

This is a tough tough call between two tpr caliber pullers. I am not totally familier with Abbotts pulling but have seen him pull. I am very familiar with Mike and his pulling. As far as I can tell there are very few people in the world that pull as smart as mike and he has some amazing endurance. My guess is Abbott is a little stronger but I would put my money in Seleris.

Dan,

Steve Stanaway was one of the top pullers of his time. He is still a top-notch, no-nonsense ref. Back in the day he was a very strong curler and even by todays standards the numbers he was putting up in the different types of curls is among the very best.

Dave....

• 3 weeks later...

Armwrestling is a game of angles. Winning quickly, or in some cases even easily, is not always a sign of domination at all. A slight change in position often can change the destroyer into the destroyed. Michael Selearis is very good at finding his opponent's soft spots, but I assure you if he ever took the wrong angle against Jacob Abbott, he wouldn't even have time to say "oops." I think Jacob would crush him in a hook.

And just think man......Mike Selearis can destroy Jacob Abbot.......I dunno if they ever pulled......but I have seen some people that Jacob Abbot lost to absolutely get destroyed by Mike Selearis...... :bow .......I just wanna pull against all the top pros.......Travis Bagent...Mike Selearis, John Brzenk, Ron Bath....all of them....... :D Nice report on your first tourny......when I can find one close to me or have money to fly to one I sure as hell will......I am sure you felt the same way......get up there just to see how you compare to them.......it's insane how strong they are....hope to here more reports or give you some of my own!!!