The One Exercise

JamesG

We all know that armwrestling is the best training you can do to become a better armwrestler. But concerning gym exercises is there one exercise that seems to help you more then any other exercise? for me my list goes like this:

1. hammer grip chins

2. plate wrist curls

3. front sledge work

The last 2 I started doing after talking to Jad. What about everyone else?

We all know that armwrestling is the best training you can do to become a better armwrestler. But concerning gym exercises is there one exercise that seems to help you more then any other exercise? for me my list goes like this:

1. hammer grip chins

2. plate wrist curls

3. front sledge work

The last 2 I started doing after talking to Jad. What about everyone else?

No there is no one exercise......I can give you ideas about my training but then I wouldn't have an advantage would I ahahhaha......also the front sledge work......I do that but I use my homemade variation of a ironmind heavy hammer.....and I do all wrist movements even if no one does them i'll think of them and try um out.....in armwrestling you want a complete strong wrist.......

For me its

1) Armwrestling a plate loaded armwrestling machine.

2) Hammer grip pullups (now working for one arm pullups)

3) Kettlebell workouts

You know how I feel about plate wrist curls, I love them. As far as my favorite exercises go:

1. rope pullups

2. plate wrist curls

3. levering; tosses to the front, and side to side levering

Forgive me for my confusion but what are 'hammer grip chins' is that basically neutral grip chins where the palms are facing each other??

Yep just a nuetral grip chin. The rope give you the same type of grip but I think its slightly better. just my opinion though.

one of the best exercises is preacher curls with a curl bar . two is hammer curls and three is using a cable row machine and armwresteling it as if you were against a opponent. but none are better than a real person that can give you a good fight. :erm

I could never pick just one but I really like the 2x4 hammercurls Austin told me about via John Brookfield. I"ve only done them a couple of times but they just smoked by arm.

Josh, I forgot to mention those. they are awesome for back pressure. the more you do them the better they feel. it takes a while to get the right set up but well worth it, especially for guys who cant pull against someone very often.

I don't like the plate curls some of you talk about...........because 1. I can curl more more than I can plate curl. 2. I also found a better exercise that in my oppinion is the exercise to do for armwrestling grip strength!!! 3. I think that compound movements altough they may help.....are not better if you can do them in separate movements stressing the same things.

Kyle what is the exerise you talk about as being the best one for armwrestling? Thanks in advance

Austin

I could never pick just one but I really like the 2x4 hammercurls Austin told me about via John Brookfield.  I"ve only done them a couple of times but they just smoked by arm.

Jad is this the exercise shown in the Grip Master's Manual where you cut two 2x4s

into 4 foot lengths and pinch them together while levering them? If so do you feel they significantly helped you, because I just rounded up some lumber to make those for the combination exercise (lever plus pinch grip).

Thanks for your response :)

i think i would make a pully with a rope and put it one the table. just like you are pulling. and i would also do hammer curls with a rope thick rope. also preacher culrs with a thick rope. i think these would resemble the armwrestling more. than anything. oh and lots of plate wrist curls for strong fingers and wrist. and the thumb i think has lots to do with. (prevent slipping of the hands, especially when you are winning)

Edited by kelby

I could never pick just one but I really like the 2x4 hammercurls Austin told me about via John Brookfield.  I"ve only done them a couple of times but they just smoked by arm.

Jad is this the exercise shown in the Grip Master's Manual where you cut two 2x4s

into 4 foot lengths and pinch them together while levering them? If so do you feel they significantly helped you, because I just rounded up some lumber to make those for the combination exercise (lever plus pinch grip).

No, you need a long 2x4 and a small hand towel. Loop the hand towel under the 2x4 on one end, now grasp the top. You now essentially have a handle for the 2x4. Now push the hand towel down the 2x4 just far enough so your elbow is even with the end of the board. Now perform Hammer curls. The longer the board, the less leverage you have and the harder it is. If you dont have long 2x4's or you're a stud you can attach weight to the end of the board. By using the towel you're free to use different grips/hand positions like you would use with different AW techniques. If you're still confused PM Austin Slater. I generally confuse people when I try to explain the exercise. Austin is the one that told me about it and he gives a good description.

i just gave you the best routine you can use for armwrestling. and you are not taking my advice. you can only pull what your hand and fingers can pull. hammer curling a 150 pound dumbell don't mean much in armwrestling. but if you can hammer curl a rope with 150 pounds at the end. will you can pull with anyone in the world.

Kyle what is the exerise you talk about as being the best one for armwrestling? Thanks in advance

Austin

Austin talk to JamesG I wrote him a lot of stuff in a PM.....and he could send it to you....... :cool .....and as always if I can help anyone with ideas and so on..I will... :rock

Its an awesome exercise. I got it from brookfield. Its about the only movement that feels like a real match. Ive found that the transfer to the table is huge. It takes awhile to get it right but once you do it works great. Brookfield gave me that tip over the phone.

Austin

No, you need a long 2x4 and a small hand towel. Loop the hand towel under the 2x4 on one end, now grasp the top. You now essentially have a handle for the 2x4. Now push the hand towel down the 2x4 just far enough so your elbow is even with the end of the board. Now perform Hammer curls. The longer the board, the less leverage you have and the harder it is. If you dont have long 2x4's or you're a stud you can attach weight to the end of the board. By using the towel you're free to use different grips/hand positions like you would use with different AW techniques. If you're still confused PM Austin Slater. I generally confuse people when I try to explain the exercise. Austin is the one that told me about it and he gives a good description.

I wish someone couls make a video of this so i can get a better idea of what the hell your talking about!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
one of the best exercises is preacher curls with a curl bar . two is hammer curls and three is using a cable row machine and armwresteling  it as if you were against a opponent.

On the cable row movement, how much weight can a good armwrestler handle? Just trying to get an idea of how much side pressure a strong a/w has. I never a/w, but if I was challenged by someone good, I wouldn't want to get my arm broken!

On the cable row movement, how much weight can a good armwrestler handle?  Just trying to get an idea of how much side pressure a strong a/w has.  I never a/w, but if I was challenged by someone good, I wouldn't want to get my arm broken!

It would be hard to say since there are so many different cable machines all with different leverages and stacks. I'd say most good armwrestlers could handle the stack with ease. There are some pics of Vovoeda on the Pulling John site with two guys, with their feet braced on the armwrestling table, that are both pulling on his arm with some sort of band, a third is pulling on his actuall arm, and his arm is not even moving. It's under the pics titled "Sochi Russia"

Edited by jad

Yes, Voevoda training looks impressive. I guess there ain't much stronger armwrestlers out there. But I would like to see him armwrestle against Alan Karaev.

I have recently read that there will be a K1 match, Alan Karaev vs Gary Goodridge.(Also wellknown armwrestler)

Check out Karaevs crushing power at this page. He ain't a small man, 198 cm and 175 kg.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/printthread.php?t=242586

Edited by Griparn

Alan beat Brzenk a couple of times years ago didn't he???

I read on one of the AW sites that he clicked a #3 for multiple reps when they had the IM grippers at a tourney. The way they wrote it, it was as if this was his first time messing with the gripper. The picture they showed made it look as if he was just trying it out, he didn't look like he was real serious about it.