Armwrestling Discussion With David Horne

JamesG

Here is an exchange between me and David on some armwrestling advice. We thought it might help some others on the board who are involved with armwrestling. Hope this helps. Ill copy and past it here shortly . . .

David, yesterday we tried a couple of new moves for fun and where wondering if you have ever tried them and if you think they would be helpfull for a/w. the first exercise is what Pavel calls suitcase wrist curls. you hold the bar at your side(long bar) and do wrist curls for that position. He recomended them for armwrestling. the next one we did was table plate curls after reading about them from brookfield. we figured they might be more suitable for armwrestling and we did them on the table. what are your thoughts on these and are they worthwhile? Thanks

James,

Sometimes I do standing wrist curls, to the front, the back or side. They are an ok exercise.

Regarding any table curl, I don't like them massively because they get easier as the move starts, in fact there is no resistance when you are in a full curl position with dumbell or in this curl plate. Also they can cause elbow problems.

I'd still say that a plate wrist curl is better than a plate curl. The curl is too easily cheated on. I've found that doing locks (staying in a curl position as in armwrestling) with your arm on a table and holding a handle attached to a low pulley, to be very effective.

Also seated curls, seated hammer curls or seated reverse curls are very useful and strict.

David

Thanks for the tips. we just started doing something similar to the locks and they do make me feel stronger at the start of a match and during setup. Ill have to try those seated curls. do you do curls on the same day as plate curls or plate wrist curls? Ive been doing them on different days but am considering making the switch to all types of curls and wrist work on the same day to rest up more. Also do you feel pullups help with armwrestling? Pavel swears by this as well but I would love to hear your thoughts on this. thanks for talking shop, its fun to learn new ideas. take care

James,

Yes, definitely do pull ups, as you need strong lats for certain moves. All sorts of hand positions on the pull ups, but of course depends a lot on how you pull.

I really don't do any plate curls or wrist curls right now.

I will train my arm 3 times a week, and on 2 of these sessions I will a/w as well.

I can do wrist work a lot more frequent.

David

Thanks! when you say arms 3xwk are you talking about upper arms? also do you do chins on these 3 days as well or just 1-2xwk? thanks again for your insight. I can already see some things that I was missing. you should do an article on this topic. there are a few pullers on the board. take care

James,

Lats twice a week. Tris 1-2 times a week. Bis 3 times a week.

David

Based on your advice im now thinking of something like this:

monday pullups, biceps

wed biceps

friday pullups, biceps.

THis hits everthing with the frequency that you suggest and allows a day of rest for the pulling muscles. Ill train wrists 3-4 days a wk after the main workout above or whenever. See any holes with this setup or maybe a better way to split it up? thanks for your help. Im excited I can train arms more often, good for the ladies

James,

Looks fine.

Remember that you have to armwrestle to become a better armwrestler, and don't forget your triceps, especially if you pull inside a lot.

Also you can just put these questions and answers together in a post on the gripboard if you think it will help the other pullers.

David

James,

Tue

1. Pull ups about 5 sets,

2. 5 sets x 5 secs each hand squeezes on a dynamometer

3. 3-4 sets each hand with thumbless Rolling Thunder

4. A/W Locks for 3 sets each hand

5. 3 sets of reverse curl and press

6. Armwrestle for about 12-15 bouts

7. 2 Hands Pinch lift with gloves on 6-8 sets

8. Reverse wrist curls 4-5 sets

9. Wrist curls 3-5 sets

Fri

1. Decline Bench closish grip 3 sets

2. Curl 5-6 sets

3. Speed a/w

4. Side Pressure 3 sets each hand

5. Narrow Grip Press ups, weighted 3 sets

6. Armwrestle for about 12 bouts

7. Finger curls 3-4 sets

8. Reverse wrist curls 4 sets

9. Wrist curls 3-4 sets

Sun

1. One Arm Rows 3-5 sets each arm

2. Cardio Reverse Curls in 15 mins, as many sets of 15 reps, usually about 15 sets.

3. Cardio Squats in 15 mins, as many sets of 20 reps, usually about 10-12 sets.

Most of the training above is done quickly.

I also train grip and wrists on the other days.

David