Hand Dyno World Record?

JustinH

What is the world record for the hand dyno? I was reading on some forum that Clay has the record at about 255 pounds.

Something else, I find it odd that a few people I know have gotten close to the same as me on the dyno but they can't close the #1 and I can rep the #2.

If I remember correctly, here are some of the better known dyno. readings

Apollon 336.6 pounds (153kg)

Herman Goerner 286 pounds (130kg) at 59 years old

Nathan Holle 275 pounds (125kg)

Dave Brown 269 pounds

As in any feat of strength, is it possible there are others that are not recorded

or we don't know about---yes.

Firstly, different makers dynamometers all feel different, so you really can't compare them, and Apollon's 153kg was done with two Hands on a Regnier dynamometer [May 12, 1902].

Secondly, You can be good with a dynamometer and not with a gripper, and vise versa. Although the nutcracker gripper is the most technical of the 2 tests.

David

My best on the Baseline dyno is 120kg and on the new Baraban dyno it's just 94kg. So there's definitely a big difference in the dynos. From what I've seen, the hydraulic ones give higher readings than those that are spring loaded because the spring ones have more give whereas the hydraulic ones are almost an isometric squeeze.

David, that's interesting about Apollon's dyno squeeze. I had always thought it was done with one hand. Have you tried the Regnier dyno with two hands, and if so how well did you fare?

Clay,

There are only 6 Regnier dynamometers on the planet that I know of, and most of these are in museums. I'd love one, and did actually bid for one at an Austrian auction, but did not get it. So I have never tried one.

David

i did 219lb on a dyno and have only closed a easy 3. but cant close my 2004 #3.

could you guys tell me whats good on a dyno? Like what average is, weak, medium. Clay's would be considered rediculous so I have that range, lol.

David just what does the Reigner dyno look like? I have quite a few "different" grip testers around here....RS

dude, avrage for a avg male is around 140 on a dyno and 112 for a female i belive.

You can be good with a dynamometer and not with a gripper, and vise versa.

Warren Lincoln Travis was the man that I read about that had tremendous hand strength but wasn't that great with dynos. So you are right about that David.

could you guys tell me whats good on a dyno? Like what average is, weak, medium. Clay's would be considered rediculous so I have that range, lol.

Below is an unofficial list of dyno. readings and corresponding grip strength levels

:upsidedwn

275 and above freak of nature :yikes

250-275 just a freak :whacked

225-250 semi-freak :blink

200-225 incredibly strong :ohmy

175-200 very strong :unsure

150-175 strong :rock

125-150 above average strength :mosher

100-125 average strength :)

<100 better hit those grippers fast! :kiss

The chart that came with my Rolyan hydraulic dyno said that the average male 20-24 years old squeezes 117lbs right handed and 112lbs left handed, so shoot for 234lbs right handed and 224lbs left handed. Then keep going :)

crap, I did one at the end of my back workout and I got 140, both hands were 70 each. I think I was holding the thing backwards, or is there even a difference? I spose I'd better keep gripping :( lol

This excerpt from a Geoff Capes interview is interesting, but how it was measured or how it this reading translates to a dynometer I don't know. David, perhaps you know of this feat or can shed a little more light on it?

Extending a hand to Zaltman, Geoff said that he has the strongest grip in the World, officially measured at 157 pounds per square inch.

Edited by mmainlands

Extending a hand to Zaltman, Geoff said that he has the strongest grip in the World, officially measured at 157 pounds per square inch.

How were they able to measure THAT? :mellow

I've tested at least 300 people using a Baseline hyraulic dynamometer (according to the manual with it--it's exactly equivalent to the Jaymar in test results). I also own a Takei spring dynamometer. Both have considerable data (given by the mfr.--with the Takei-- literally 1000s of people have been used to establish norms). Even though the Baseline is "easier"--i.e. gives higher readings on the top end, they both list 56 kg for the average man (roughly multiply kg x 2.2 to get pounds). The highest I have ever tested on the Baseline is 122 kg by Dave Brown, and 112 kg with Clay Edgin, although Clay told me he did 116 kg on a Baseline and I believe him. I have only found 8 men that could do 100 kg or more. Incidentally when I went to the world's weightlifting championships in Vancouver in 2003 and tested everyone who would try it ( and not everyone would) the best was 98 kg by one of the world champs. I believe all of the 8 men who have done 100k closed the #3 but I believe 2 never bothered to get on the "official" list, whereas others who have closed the #3 have been as low as in the 78 kg range. I've also gone to the Pleasanton Highland Games (world or North American championships most years) for the last 11 years and have tested just about every top competitor there. As a group the best HG athletes outdid the best WL competitors. Anyone who can do 70 kg has a good grip, 80 kg very good, 90 kg excellent, and 100 kg world class. :)

Dale, I thought I did 117kg on yours at the NorCal Strongest Man last year?

Dale, I thought I did 117kg on yours at the NorCal Strongest Man last year?

Clay, Sorry about the earlier mark --you did 116 kg at the Nor Cal last year. I just checked my notes made at the time. Second all time only to Dave Brown. The European marks were made either on different dynos or under less strict conditions at least that's what I've been told by one eye-witness. :bow Maybe Sun. your PR will go. :bow

Goerner has the highest one hand dynometer grip of all time then and performing this at the age of 58 .

Incredible :bow:bow:bow

Goerner has the highest one hand dynometer grip of all time then and performing this at the age of 58 .

Incredible  :bow  :bow  :bow

He is also said to have done a 1 HANDED deadlift of 727.5 pounds on

a revolving olympic bar.

He is also said to have done a 1 HANDED deadlift of 727.5 pounds on

a revolving olympic bar.

I thought that was David Horne. Goerner lifted a large block of sandstone (???). :blink

Someone help me out on this - now I'm confused! :cry

Goener lifted a block of sandstone not an olympic bar. It wasn't revolving either and was fairly high above the ground. Still an amazing feat no matter how it was done or with what.

Edited by JustinH

Actually , Herman Goerner made an official 301 kg and unofficially 330 kg one hand deadlift on a Berg olympic barbell.

The sandstone lift was performed with 335 kg.These lifts were done with a hook grip on the barbells.

His biggest lift with a normal grip on a olympic was 251 kg.

There is an excellent debate ongoing on Joe Roarks Iron History on Herman Goerner with first rate input by the experts there .

I myself have spoken to a person who was actually trained with Goerner and witnessed the one hand deadlift of 620 lbs with ease in front of John Paul Getty, who was so amazed that he gave Herman the equivalent in money !!

A lot of lucre in those days !!

David Horne's one hand deadlift was performed with a handle attachement with the weight underneath i think the weight was 335 kg perhaps a little more.

Thats the reason why you don't shake hands with him when he's wound up or you'll end up losing some fingers !!

David is the modern day Herman GOERNER :bow:bow:bow

David is the modern day Herman GOERNER

Now THAT is a cool compliment. No argument here.