Ronnie Coleman Tries A No 3 Gripper

matonski

From http://www.ironmind.com/morenews.php?id=1045#1045

"Sitting next to me was none other than Ronnie Coleman and two things were immediately obvious even to someone whose knowledge of competitive bodybuilding stops somewhere around Sergio, Arnold and Franco: First of all, Ronnie Coleman is not as big as everyone says he is - he is even bigger. Second, don't believe what you hear about him being very nice and friendly - he is extremely nice and friendly.

This unlikely set of circumstances will probably bring a smile to Bob Bollenbach's face because there was no holding me back: "Ronnie, have you have ever tried one of these?" I asked, pulling out not just a No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper, but the exact 2004 No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper that Clay Edgin had not been able to fully close at the last year's AOBS dinner, but that he then dusted at Steve Belanger's Grip Gathering in December. Clay had closed the gripper again at the Fit Expo, and a couple of other guys - including strongman competitor Corey St. Clair and newly-certified Captain of Crush Jeff Cagle - had given it a shot.

Ronnie Coleman, even if you're not a bodybuilding fan, is a regular source of huge lifts and there are gushing stories about his strength, so I figured why not have him try this benchmark test of grip strength.

First attempt, no warm up, no chalk, no set - just grinding power - Ronnie clamped it down to a gap in the range of 1/4" to 3/8".

Really impressive, to say the least."

Gunter did the same thing at the 2004 Mr. O, maybe even less then 1/4''

no warm up, no chalk, no set! i just walked up and said, " hey you think you can make the handles touch?? he was real cool about the whole thing. i had asked other bodybuilders there to give it a go!!! most would not even try it?? don't know where i was going with this , but Ronnie is not the only bodybuilder with a crushing GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!

lol geo are you for real.

ok whos as big at the same bf levels.

my uncle tips the scales at around 300...so i guess hes as big to. lol

as tom mentioned hes a 7 TIME OLYMPIA WINNER. and next year will tie lee haney for 8.

who has his quality,stregth,musclemass ect ect ect.

he is a complete package.

more so then any stregth or bodybuilder before him.

roark, gunter schlirkamp(sp) is another top bodybuilder who has a great grip. he got the hg500 to about 1/8 inch inverted. first ever try.

theres pics of him doing it...could someone post those if possible?

Of course the guy is strong, hes superhuman type strong. Ive got the clip where he repping the 200lb dbs like they are nothing. Seen him dl 800lb for 2 reps etc. Yeah thats very impressive. But I have seen others do the same. --Yes I know -but not at 3% bodyfat or whatever

7 time Mr Olympia- Thats just waaay too long a discussion to have here.

Hes 40 ok. Great. Hes at 3% bodyfat or whatever. great.Will he make it to 50? I hope he does, but...

lol geo are you for real.

ok whos as big at the same bf levels.

my uncle tips the scales at around 300...so i guess hes as big to. lol

as tom mentioned hes a 7 TIME OLYMPIA WINNER. and next year will tie lee haney for 8.

who has his quality,stregth,musclemass ect ect ect.

he is a complete package.

more so then any stregth or bodybuilder before him.

roark, gunter schlirkamp(sp) is another top bodybuilder who has a great grip. he got the hg500 to about 1/8 inch inverted. first ever try.

theres pics of him doing it...could someone post those if possible?

Will he make it to 50? I hope he does, but...

People used to say the same thing about Arnold.

Now he is in charge of the 7th largest economic power in the world(California)and his personal net worth is closing in on a billion dollars.

Oh well....do people continue to 'discuss'his health...probably....WHY?IMHO,people always want to make a big deal out of something...

Hell..how old is Arnold now?like 57?...I hope I make it to 57. :blush (i'd love to switch bank accounts too)

I think-people discussing his success- is why Ronnie wheres the 'No Haters'wear in some of his recent pics. ;)

You may not care for Coleman as a bodybuilder..so be it...bodybuilding can be subjective...but the reason folks are fascinated with him his pretty obvious.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

• 8 months later...
Like many have already said I bet Big Ron would own the 3 with less than a month of training.  His hands remind me of Tony Scrivens' hands as they are very, very thick.

why don't you and your brother go see him again and get him certed on a no.3 :D

Point being Ron almost closed it without gripper training. Give him a couple of months of gripper training and he will kill it and maybe a #4 if he kept add it..

Point being Ron almost closed it without gripper training. Give him a couple of months of gripper training and he will kill it and maybe a #4 if he kept add it..

I bet if Ronnie Colman worked with the grippers and trained his grip he could kill a #4!

I'm a huge fan of bodybuilding and other sports. Ronnie coleman first try on the #3 did a great job, if me or others who know how to set grippers showed him the proper form he would close it....from the article it seems like that's a hard#3 if he had an average #3 he would have closed that no set :blink

As people that keep talking about the weights he lifts, he's never tried to be a world class powerlifter, he's a bodybuilder who likes to lift heavy weights and his body responds to it and such and creates more muscle. If he tried to be a power lifter things would have been interesting :laugh

Last he's doing these things at 40 years old, I give Ronnie props and props he deserves a truly humble human being :bow:bow:bow

Edited by BigT

I bet if Ronnie Colman worked with the grippers and trained his grip he could kill a #4!

I'll take that bet. :D

dang this topic is old....

yes,obviously ronnie coleman could do a 3,if he got that hard three to 1/4 inch his first try....but who cares? he dosent im sure of that lol.

hes to busy winning olympias and making literally millions of dollars a year with winnings,endorsments,guest possings,retail sales ect ect.

grippers dont make you money,i doubt he cares.

gunter got the hg500 to 1/8 inch...inverted!...first try.

who cares,im sure he doesent lol.

point is....if a guy like joe kinney...not big and not physically impressive,can close a 4...i dont see why a man clearly much stronger could not train to do it. if one was so inclined.

Does anyone on this board know Ronnie Coleman personally and can lend Mr. Coleman a #3 and #4 and also teach him how to use them? :)

• 1 year later...
Franco started in first contests strong man

And powerlifting I believe. Huge deadlift for such a small guy.

ronnie's unbelievable dvd is awesome - he has monsterous forearms, no doubt he would close #4 an beyond if he trained for it, but thats not gonna happen

ronnie's unbelievable dvd is awesome - he has monsterous forearms, no doubt he would close #4 an beyond if he trained for it, but thats not gonna happen

I have my doubts here... Only 5 people in the world closed the #4, there are quite a few men in the world stronger then Ronnie is and they also didn't close it.

Can't imagine neither of those strongman never gave it a serious try....

I have my doubts here... Only 5 people in the world closed the #4, there are quite a few men in the world stronger then Ronnie is and they also didn't close it.

about 20 (or so) people have closed a #4 dude, i think there was nigh on none stronger than ronnie at the time of the unbelievable, i mean DAMN, it's not like he just moves big weights around, he toys with them, set after set - at the end of the day, i couldn't manage #1 no set when i first tried, so if ronnie can get a hard #3 to 1/4in first try, then it dont really even take any thought that he could go well beyond #4 if he trained for it

Well if I remember right didn't Terry Hollands close a #3 with practically no specific training? He did some grip for a short while and it didn't take long for him to close his #3 and he got bored with it fast. That's what I understand anyway.

about 20 (or so) people have closed a #4 dude, i think there was nigh on none stronger than ronnie at the time of the unbelievable, i mean DAMN, it's not like he just moves big weights around, he toys with them, set after set - at the end of the day, i couldn't manage #1 no set when i first tried, so if ronnie can get a hard #3 to 1/4in first try, then it dont really even take any thought that he could go well beyond #4 if he trained for it

I'm with white scorpian on this one. No doubt the man is very strong but that doesn't automatically give him awesome 'crushing' power (obviously it will help though ;)

Now that I think about it, most world class strongmen can get big grippers to little gaps and hold but no further because of the immense sweep and holding strength required for many strongman events. You can't deny that Coleman is on the level of strength of a pro strongman/elite powerlifter so it makes sense that he would get a decidedly tough gripper to such a small gap. What's he have? An 800 squat, an 800 DL, and somewhere over 500 for the bench? So a 2100 total with a squat suit and not maxing add to that the fact he's dabbled in grip and strongman abit for fun. Who knows what he'll do if he loses another Olympia.

Well to be honest, neither of you are right. There are NOT 20 people who have closed a #4, not even with a choker have 20 people closed a #4. However there have been more than 5, just only 5 under official conditions.

I highly doubt Ronnie could close a #4, it takes more than overall strength to close a #4, it takes specific strength that you have to be extraordinarily gifted AND train your ass off for. If he tried as hard as people like Kinney (would NEVER happen) at grippers then maybe, just maybe he could get it. But pro strongmen never put as much effort into grippers as people like Kinney because as was previously stated, they DON'T care about grippers. They don't gain them humongous amounts of money and advertising contracts, so naturally they care more about strongman.

Well to be honest, neither of you are right. There are NOT 20 people who have closed a #4, not even with a choker have 20 people closed a #4. However there have been more than 5, just only 5 under official conditions.

I highly doubt Ronnie could close a #4, it takes more than overall strength to close a #4, it takes specific strength that you have to be extraordinarily gifted AND train your ass off for. If he tried as hard as people like Kinney (would NEVER happen) at grippers then maybe, just maybe he could get it. But pro strongmen never put as much effort into grippers as people like Kinney because as was previously stated, they DON'T care about grippers. They don't gain them humongous amounts of money and advertising contracts, so naturally they care more about strongman.

Neither does strongman, considering whats involved the winnings from WSM aren't that much to an American. Thanks to exchange rates though people from eastern Europe get much more than the average man's salary.

I made a thread about #4 closers awhile back, something like 15 or 17 people so Paul isn't that far off.

Neither does strongman, considering whats involved the winnings from WSM aren't that much to an American. Thanks to exchange rates though people from eastern Europe get much more than the average man's salary.

I made a thread about #4 closers awhile back, something like 15 or 17 people so Paul isn't that far off.

Really? Well then I'm sorry I didn't think it was nearly that many. Wow I'm shocked.

Yeah I guess you're right Zach. I wasn't sure but still, grippers don't pay you anything and I just think strongmen have no interest in our sport for the most part.

No one could tell for certain what Ronnie could do with the grippers if he decides to seriously train, but it's safe to say if he there ever was an article in the magazine like Flex of Ronnie using the grippers, the sales of grippers would increase exponentially. Just look at this thread being still alive for nearly 3 years with 75 posts in it.