Ronnie Coleman Tries A No 3 Gripper

matonski

From http://www.ironmind.com/morenews.php?id=1045#1045

"Sitting next to me was none other than Ronnie Coleman and two things were immediately obvious even to someone whose knowledge of competitive bodybuilding stops somewhere around Sergio, Arnold and Franco: First of all, Ronnie Coleman is not as big as everyone says he is - he is even bigger. Second, don't believe what you hear about him being very nice and friendly - he is extremely nice and friendly.

This unlikely set of circumstances will probably bring a smile to Bob Bollenbach's face because there was no holding me back: "Ronnie, have you have ever tried one of these?" I asked, pulling out not just a No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper, but the exact 2004 No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper that Clay Edgin had not been able to fully close at the last year's AOBS dinner, but that he then dusted at Steve Belanger's Grip Gathering in December. Clay had closed the gripper again at the Fit Expo, and a couple of other guys - including strongman competitor Corey St. Clair and newly-certified Captain of Crush Jeff Cagle - had given it a shot.

Ronnie Coleman, even if you're not a bodybuilding fan, is a regular source of huge lifts and there are gushing stories about his strength, so I figured why not have him try this benchmark test of grip strength.

First attempt, no warm up, no chalk, no set - just grinding power - Ronnie clamped it down to a gap in the range of 1/4" to 3/8".

Really impressive, to say the least."

Edited by matonski

First of all, Ronnie Coleman is not as big as everyone says he is - he is even bigger.

That was great !

I've only heard of one person not being impressed by Ron's size after having met him.

Nice report. Interesting.

Personally thought he'd get it closer than that.

Wonder what he'd do on an EZ or 'normal' #3?

he almost NO-SETTED a tough 3.......why didn't randy have a regular on hand so he could have certed :)

Not only that, he probably held it in a poor position leverage-wise like all the uninitiated do. With a few tips and a little experimenting, I'm pretty sure he would have closed it.

Not only that, he probably held it in a poor position leverage-wise like all the uninitiated do. 

Probably.

Guys that are laborers seem to place a gripper pretty naturally....but I'm sure it's been awhile since Ronnie did any work out on the farm.

He's just strong.

Not only that, he probably held it in a poor position leverage-wise like all the uninitiated do. 

Probably.

Guys that are laborers seem to place a gripper pretty naturally....but I'm sure it's been awhile since Ronnie did any work out on the farm.

He's just strong.

your never happy are you tom....i'm sure you wish schooveld did 5 reps with that axle...4 must have been disappointing for you :happy

Probably.

He's just strong.

your never happy are you tom....i'm sure you wish schooveld did 5 reps with that axle...4 must have been disappointing for you :happy

:laugh:laugh:laugh

it was quite an opportunity...since he handed him a HARD #3???and because Coleman failed on it....the next time someone hands Coleman a #3 he might shy away from it.OR?Coleman might assume he can't close it...so Coleman might not bother to try it? :unsure

Maybe not...

I'm sure he's used to people challenging or questioning his strength...and some people enjoy watching well known strength athletes fail on grippers. :shifty

It would be great to see a big name like Ronnie Coleman on the COC list. Should have handed him a red..

How can you call getting 1/4" for the first time on a #3 failure.... I don't think so. If BIG Ron would put his mind to it, he could close it, period.

Nice report. Interesting.

Personally thought he'd get it closer than that.

Wonder what he'd do on an EZ or 'normal' #3?

Well.....give him some lessons in proper setting and so on......give him some chalk and he could prolly close it no problem...... :ohmy

296lbs ripped on stage Mr. O animal. Yes, that is bigger than what you could imagine.

I saw a clip of one of his workout videos the other day. Unbelievable to say the least. He is the only bodybuilder I have ever seen that I can honestly say that he looks un-human. When he does that full split and does a "most muscular" pose, he looks like some sort of sculpture.

I am surprised he didn't close it all the way. With a little coaching or warming up, I'm sure he could close it with a decent set.

I have always wondered how he would fare with a #3 or #4.

Wonder is Markus Ruhl could shut one.....

What I don't think was mentioned in the article is if Ronnie has ever had any experience with the grippers before. While I doubt he trains them a lot and spends his time lifting weight, I wouldn't be surprised if he's crushed a gripper or two.

I would like to have seen this to answer a few of my questions. I wonder if his hand size would have benefitted much from a set. I don't know much about his stature. In other words, were all his fingers wrapped around the handle, placed low, etc? I don't have any doubts that he could close it with a set, no-set with a little specialization and practice.

I've seen Coleman in person, the guy is absolutely unreal ( I know I know, steroids )!!! I have no doubt that if he really wanted to close a #3 , he wouldn't just close it, but would "own" it!

Did he yell...LIGHT WEIGHT! LIGHT WEIGHT...BABY!

Coleman is the freak of freaks.

Lol, that is funny :D

"Get REEAAAAADDDYY!! HEY BUDDY! Ain't nothin but a peanut....."

"Good ole' chicken!"

I like Ronnie's DVDs. :D

... I asked, pulling out not just a No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper, but the exact 2004 No. 3 Captains of Crush gripper that Clay Edgin had not been able to fully close at the last year's AOBS dinner, but that he then dusted at Steve Belanger's Grip Gathering in December.

What the hell?? Randy didn't give me THAT gripper to try! :angry:

What is this - some special "club" where you haffta be someone famous before he decides you can try this damn gripper! :mellow

I feel neglected and hurt. :cry