Info For Certifications On Heavy Grips

Clay Edgin

Heavy Grips has asked me to prepare the certification guidelines for recognizing those individuals who have closed their Heavy Grips 300 or Heavy Grips 400. I'm in the middle of preparing a website detailing the procedure, but here are the basics. If you have a video of you closing a HG300 or HG400 within the rules I'm about to set forth, email it to clay@handgrippers.com (pretty sweet email address right!??)

First of all, these certifications are going to be fun. The judging of the videos will be liberal and if it looks good, then there will be no questions from me.

1. Video has to clearly show the model of the gripper. A blurry video can make a 200 look like a 300.

2. Use a shallow set. What is a "shallow set"? You know what a shallow set is! Because the spread on the Heavy Grips is narrow, it is easy to get your hands around it. We'd only like to see a little bit of setting before the squeeze. Heavy Grips doesn't want to write a measurement out in stone like "It MUST be 2" between the handles, or else the certification fails" because a poor video could show it as 1 7/8" and drama would ensue. No drama here. Just grab the gripper, set it a little if you need to, and close it.

3. Video also has to clearly show the handles being held together. Not just a quick touch-and-release.

4. Have fun with it! We'd love to see videos of people doing crazy stuff with their HG300 or HG400 - strapholds, grinding the handles, lots of reps, table no-sets. Tear a deck of cards while clamping onto it with two grippers, crush stuff between the handles, whatever!

Well, what's in it for you? Once the certification goes through, Heavy Grips will mail you a certificate commemorating your achievement and your name will go up on a website currently being developed at www.gripmonsters.com. The really cool and fun videos people submit showing them doing extraordinary things with their HG grippers will get posted on a special section of the site.

And here's something even cooler. Many of the retailers who sell Heavy Grips have agreed to throw in a bonus gift for the people who certified with a gripper they purchased from that retailer. For example, if you buy your Heavy Grips 300 from Iron Company and certify with it, Iron Company will send you a special gift of their own!

If you have any questions, email me at clay@handgrippers.com and I'll do what I can to answer them promptly. Thanks.

I don't where some of you Grip Masters are going to put all these certification certificates, you may have to build a shrine.

Iron Mind, MashMonster, Grippermania, and now Heavy Grip all right lets fire up the printer because I am sure you will see many make this certification ASAP since allot have crushed more difficult grippers.

Thanks Clay for all you hard work and efforts. These certificated and names on websites are fun bragging rights but more so are great motivators to achieve the next level and so on.

At present there is no certification program for the HG500 because nobody has closed it. But if someone did close it, you can bet that they would receive some major recognition on the websites!

2. Use a shallow set. What is a "shallow set"? You know what a shallow set is! Because the spread on the Heavy Grips is narrow, it is easy to get your hands around it. We'd only like to see a little bit of setting before the squeeze. Heavy Grips doesn't want to write a measurement out in stone like "It MUST be 2" between the handles, or else the certification fails" because a poor video could show it as 1 7/8" and drama would ensue. No drama here. Just grab the gripper, set it a little if you need to, and close it.

I am having a real problem getting those huge handles of the HG400 to come together.

I shot some video of my HG400 attempt yesterday, and today... I took it into work and had a friend look at it and tell me what he thought of it. After viewing it, it was his opinion that I didn't completely close the gripper - as in "no close". I told him that my problem is the handles on the gripper - that they are just TOO DURN BIG! :angry:

I'm not giving up. Tomorrow, I will attempt it again. Yeah, I'd like to cert on this too! :happy

Yeah you need to set it by bringing it in with the longer fingers then kind of pause then close.

At present there is no certification program for the HG500 because nobody has closed it.  But if someone did close it, you can bet that they would receive some major recognition on the websites!

I didn't know it was that tough. :( I thought the #4 closers would be able to do it once they got their hands around it with a good set.

I only have an HG400, and it seems like a 2.7 at best. There must be a big jump up for the HG500. I was thinking it was something like a 3.5. I must be wrong.

I will have to get one myself.

I only have an HG400, and it seems like a 2.7 at best.

I'd sure like to try your HG400. Yeah, I think I need to get a HG500 too. :)

I only have an HG400, and it seems like a 2.7 at best.

I'd sure like to try your HG400. Yeah, I think I need to get a HG500 too. :)

Maybe I'm just comparing it to a hard #3, but my HG400 is much easier.

I got my first and only set of COC grippers in December 2004. I have heard that the late 2004 COC's can be very tough.

I just have a prototype HG400, so I don't know how others feel.

Mine seems harder than a 3 to me, but to guys with large hands it feels quite a bit easier.

How strong is the HG 300.

Is it stronger then BBSM Or little stronger then #2?

How strong  is the HG 300.

Is it stronger then BBSM Or little stronger then #2?

I'd say mine is about like a 2.5-2.7, when compared to my COC grippers

Edited by most-muscular

If you're a CoC then a HG400 is relatively easy. I don't like reading these 'I can't do it' posts. Think like that and it'll come true.

If you're a CoC then a HG400 is relatively easy. I don't like reading these 'I can't do it' posts. Think like that and it'll come true.

You might be right about that Steve.

Listen to this: last night before I went to bed, I was playing around with my HG400. Just fidgeting around with it, doing some closes and TNS's... you get my drift.

I wake up this morning - :yikes oh my, my hands were a-singin'!! This is a good sign, so I thought I'd take my HG400 to work with me and see what's what.

At 8:05 a.m., I took the HG400 and pin-shut it (slight set). Did the same thing again exactly an hour later. :cool I think this is gonna be a good day!

Had a friend take some pics of me closing the big HG400. It went off without a hitch. I'm thinking I just haffta get used to the size of the handles, that's all. :)

In iron mind numbers I would give it a 2.7 but everyone is different, It's NOT as hard as a #3 or an RB 300N. It is slipper though!

In iron mind numbers I would give it a 2.7 but everyone is different, It's NOT as hard as a #3 or an RB 300N. It is slipper though!

A HG 400!?

What is a HG 500 then!?

A HG 400!?

What is a HG 500 then!?

I hear its close to a #4 but the big handles make it awkward. Nobody has closed it on camera for the $500 ransom!

I get mine this week and can't wait.

[

I hear its close to a #4 but the big handles make it awkward. Nobody has closed it on camera for the $500 ransom!

I get mine this week and can't wait.

Ok, so:

Hg 400 = 2,7-3,0

Hg 500 ~ 4,0

Did I get it right this time?

I hear its close to a #4 but the big handles make it awkward. Nobody has closed it on camera for the $500 ransom!  I get mine this week and can't wait.

I just ordered mine as well! Ought to be fun when I get it! :D