Sign in to follow this  
mossman

Two Hands Anyhow

mossman

i watched the video of jedd in the two hands anyhow the other day on the diesel site, and WOW! obviously im not as strong as him, but damn....i tried this, and nearly killed myself. first i tried with 135 on the bar(big mistake) finally i stired myself out and managed to support 100lbs. i just couldnt manage to bend down to get the kettlebell. today however, i did manage to get an 80lbs bell over my head, and then a 55lb bell...i would have done it with the bar, but they wouldnt allow it at my gym. i am going to get really good at this lift, i think it will lead to big benefits. does anyone else share this thought?

HAMMERHEAD

I say that vid too! It's a good one!

-HH

ryaneverk2

I think it's definitely a great exercise for total body strenght. Just holding and supporting that weight while you bend down/lean over to lift up another... seems like it'd lead to some good core strength and everywhere else, too! Kind of seems more like a real world-type exercise, as well. Holding something, lifting up something else... kind of like something you'd do while working on a job somewhere.

ClayEdgin

I love the two hand anyhow. If there was ever one old-time record I was to chase, it would be that one. Right now I'm doing it at the gym with dumbbells. People think you're nuts when you snatch a 135lb dumbbell then reach down, clean a 100lb dumbbell in the other hand, then press it overhead. Got a cool video coming up of my own, inspired by The Jedder :)

foggymountainmuscle

I don't think any other lift makes you feel more like the gravity of the earth is trying to crush you.

ryaneverk2
I think it's definitely a great exercise for total body strenght.  Just holding and supporting that weight while you bend down/lean over to lift up another... seems like it'd lead to some good core strength and everywhere else, too!  Kind of seems more like a real world-type exercise, as well.  Holding something, lifting up something else... kind of like something you'd do while working on a job somewhere.

Can't wait for the video, Clay. If anyone could chase that record, you'd have a good shot! :cool

Jedd Johnson

Can't wait to see that video Clay. That sounds bad as hell.

My dumbbell was only 50 pounds - mainly trying to get the form down. Now I'm inspired, big boy.

-Jedd-

JasonL

I learned how to do that with Kettlebells. One of the most brutal exercises there is. Amazing Core and shoulder stabliltiy strength. :blink

smitty

Jedd makes it look easy - but to hold 135 BARBELL locked out and bend down to pick up something else is really freaking hard....

Jason Paul

So, is there any "standard" way to do the two hands anyhow? Or is it really just any way you can get the two weights up (hence the name)?

The first weight can be bent pressed, cleaned & pressed or jerked, or snatched?

The second can be cleaned and pressed or jerked, or curled and pressed?

I've always been a little unclear on this. Is this point just to get the weights from the floor to overhead, one at a time, any way you can? I know it seems obvious from the name, but I've always wondered.

Thanks,

Jason

Sean Dockery

Here are the old rules for performing two versions of the THA:

#32 Two Hands Anyhow with Dumb-Bells

The dumb-bells shall be lifted to arms’ length overhead ‘anyhow’. For example, one bell may be taken to the shoulder with two hands, thence to be jerked, or bent-pressed, overhead, after which the other bell shall be raised to a full stretch of arm overhead. This is the method usually employed. At the conclusion of the lift the trunk shall be erect, the arms and legs straight, and the heels together.

#41 Two Hands Anyhow with Barbell and Ring-Weight

The barbell and ring-weight shall be lifted to arms’ length overhead ‘anyhow’. For example, the barbell may be taken to the shoulder with two hands, thence jerked, or bent-pressed, overhead, after which the ring-weight shall be raised to full stretch of arm overhead. Again, the barbell may be taken overhead with two hands, then transferred into one hand, after which the ring-weight shall be taken overhead to arm’s length. At the conclusion of the lift the trunk shall be erect, both arms straight and parallel with one another, the legs straight, and the heels together.

Source: Joe Roark's Ironhistory forum.

ryaneverk2

Seems like that still doesn't clarify, actually...

Say you take the first bell to shouler w/ two hands, can you leave it there, at shoulder, and bend down and pull to shoulder the other bell w/ the other hand, then press or whatever both overhead? Or does the first object have to be overhead, supported by just one hand, before you commence to try and lift the second weight?

JasonL

hmm, holding a clubbell in the top positon, then lifting a KB at the bottom..that would be a little tough. :blink:cry

Sybersnott
The dumb-bells shall be lifted to arms’ length overhead ‘anyhow’. For example, one bell may be taken to the shoulder with two hands, thence to be jerked, or bent-pressed, overhead, after which the other bell shall be raised to a full stretch of arm overhead. This is the method usually employed. At the conclusion of the lift the trunk shall be erect, the arms and legs straight, and the heels together.

I started doing a lift I had read about in Alan Calvert's book, The Truth About Weightlifting.

I then bragged to my friend at work that I could overhead press a barbell of 150 pounds... not on an Oly bar but with a standard bar - AND do it without moving my feet or bending my knees. (the key here)

He didn't seem that impressed, until I challenged him to do it.

He couldn't lift it pass his waist. At that point, he thought I was pretty strong to do that. :)

Darco

I started doing a lift I had read about in Alan Calvert's book, The Truth About Weightlifting.

I then bragged to my friend at work that I could overhead press a barbell of 150 pounds... not on an Oly bar but with a standard bar - AND do it without moving my feet or bending my knees. (the key here)

He didn't seem that impressed, until I challenged him to do it.

He couldn't lift it pass his waist. At that point, he thought I was pretty strong to do that. :)

Out of curiosity, were you bragging about a 150 lb military press ?

chrlslee1

He wasnt bragging about a military press.Military presses is from the shoulders up. He lifted from the floor to above his head without bending the knees, which is fairly difficult.

chrlslee1

I just reread his post. You were right he was bragging about a military press lol.

Jedd Johnson

Keep the thread on topic, guys. Please.

Thanks,

-Jedd-

MikeP

I'm going to try one of these 2 hands anyhows, I have always been impressed by it but never really tried it. Here goes! Will post vids, wether successful or not!

smitty

Cool Mike - can't wait for the video...

SqeezeMasterFlash

Go for the W.A. Pullum two hands anyhow. A barbell loaded to 1 1/2 times bodyweight, then a kettlebell loaded to 1/2 bodyweight. For anyone over 200lbs that would really be something!

MikeP

For anyone over 20lbs that would be cool :)

I was thinking bodyweight TOTAL would be nice :)

capt. crushalot
Go for the W.A. Pullum two hands anyhow. A barbell loaded to 1 1/2 times bodyweight, then a kettlebell loaded to 1/2 bodyweight. For anyone over 200lbs that would really be something!

Are you serious?

Clay weighs around 300 pounds.

That is like a 450 pound barbell and a 150 pound kettlebell for the

2 hand anyhow! :blink

SqeezeMasterFlash

It's in the latest MILO. Pullum would perform this feat with a bent press of a barbell and a clean and press of a ringweight several times per day. He offered money to anyone who could duplicate it. No-one ever did.

capt. crushalot
It's in the latest MILO. Pullum would perform this feat with a bent press of a barbell and a clean and press of a ringweight several times per day. He offered money to anyone who could duplicate it. No-one ever did.

That is amazing!

I don't subscribe to Milo. How much did Pullum weigh?

Thanks for your post.

Edited by capt. crushalot