First Workout For Beginners

David Horne

Once a week is better than none a week.

Just do the workout as suggested. Later on you will diverse if required.

David

Once a week is better than none a week.

Just do the workout as suggested. Later on you will diverse if required.

David

Okej! thx for the help

Mvh Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David.

Im gonna get started on this routine. I have a couple of questions tho. First of all, what kind of tempo should I be using on the finger curls? quick closes or a slow squeeze? Should I be actually crushing the bar at the top of the curl, as I would when closing a gripper?

Secondly, with regards to the pinch grip, is it a good idea to vary the width of the hand? for example, pinch with 1 20kg plate for the first set, then possibly switching to 2 10kg plates which will widen the distance between the thumb and fingers. Is this a good idea or is it not necessary?

Also, I read an article by Rick Walker called Combat Grip. His variant of wrist strength training involves curling a plate for the Wrist Curl. I can see this not being ideal for the reverse wrist curl, as there would probably be alot of stress on the thumb. But would you consider this a good alternative for the Wrist curl? There is even an advanced version mentioned involving attaching a plate to a 2 feet long piece of 2x4. For the more experienced guys wanting to go on this routine. What is your take on this? is it okay or is it best to just stick with the barbell version?

Thanks mate.

Yours,

Beev

Beev,

An average tempo on the Finger Curls, and go for the next rep when your hand has encircled the bar. No extra crushing needed.

Stick with one width with the Pinch so that you can see your improvement.

There are many differing types of wrist exercises out there, believe me, and I've done most of them. Plate Wrist Curls are one of them, and a good exercise. But the two problems with it being a beginners exercise are that 1. It can tire your finger tips out before your wrist. 2. It is hard to add small increments in weight to this exercise. The normal Wrist Curl fits the bill perfectly, and if you have any major problems with this exercise, then I'd advise something like standing wrist curls.

Hope this helps,

David

Thanks for the input Dave. Is it possible for me to superset the Wrist Curls? I.e. Use a dumbbell, and Wrist curl then reverse wrist curl on one hand, before switching hands? Or would it be better to just do the wrist curls, rest and repeat, then go to reverse wrist curls?

Yours,

Beev

Edited by Beev

Beev,

For beginners it's best to keep it simple. Many, many things for the future.

David

• 1 month later...

hi some great info there.

was wondering should i be completely rested to gain the full benefit? i was thinking of adding it on to the end of my weights session which i do 3 times a week. what would be your opinion on doing this on deadlift days? (my grip is beginning to fail on the deadlift - the reason why im here!). i deadlift once a week.

thanks

Edited by chip

hi some great info there.

was wondering should i be completely rested to gain the full benefit? i was thinking of adding it on to the end of my weights session which i do 3 times a week. what would be your opinion on doing this on deadlift days? (my grip is beginning to fail on the deadlift - the reason why im here!). i deadlift once a week.

thanks

If I may chime in with my opinion and noting that I train grip at home, because I have a decent and growing ammount of home gym equipment. I'd prefer to do it an an off day, but honestly wouldn't make a special trip to the gym just for it. However, you're grip is allready fried from DL so most definately at the starting out level I certainly wouldn't train it on the same day as DL.

I suggest training you grip on one or both of the other two lifting days more likely on the one where you don't blast your forearms and/or do more leg stuff.

Just my opinion..and best of luck in your training .. neilkaz ..

For me low-rep DL or other pulling motions can be okay before grippers (actually sort of warm my hands up) but higher reps, no way. I think pressing or leg movements are great warmups for grip work. I almost always do my best on grip exercises after doing larger compound movements before, as long as those don't tax grip too much. I think others may feel about the same, but everyone is different.

Just want to add my thanks to David Horne for his hand strength foundation program. I use it as an integral part of my training after having to rehab an over trained extensor. When I started grip training heavy I thought I had enough of a background in strength training to provide a good foundation. I was wrong and thanks to David's post I won't make that mistake again.

Gripcrazy,

Glad it has been of help.

I'm using part of it for my run up to the GGC. This isn't just a programme for beginners, it can be adapted for anyone.

David

I will be using a very similar programme after the MGC

- blobwork

- secret weapon + light gripperwork

- wristcurls

- formulator extensions

-DO bending

I guess, I made a mistake of wanting to do to many gripthings at a time in the past.

Christoph,

Yes you can't do everything.

Do the training that you need to do, wether it be for a contest or a particular goal. But remember that once you have done the beginners routine your goals and training should be balanced.

David

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a semi-newbie

though i will wait a while before attempting any bending, i'm curious to understand what harm grippers can do? they seem like a harmless exercise and impossible to injure on

thanks

You can get an injury on anything if it's not your day.

For the total newbie who has some weights and no grippers, the crushing exercise with the barbell is perfect. Also with a barbell you can increase the resistance very slowly with small weights, which is difficult to do with grippers unless you have many.

David

interesting, i had no idea

what can get injured with a gripper? hand? wrist? forearm?

in that case i'm not sure whether to lay off the grippers, i'm 1cm off from closing the #1 so i dont consider myself as a total newbie.....i'll defenitely be careful

what can get injured with a gripper? hand? wrist? forearm?

Your right hand middle knuckle to be exact! This happend to MANY board members even me. And if I don't do some especial treatment after gripper workout (or grip in general) I will have that pain for a WEEK :whacked

• 2 weeks later...

My Proposal Grip Training Workout :

1-Reverse biceps curls with an Olympic Bar

2-Bending and unbending wrist with dumbell http://www.atomicpower.pl/images/stories/p...agajace/8-9.jpg

3-Finger curls with an Olympic Bar

4-Hanging in time on stick (bar) http://youtube.com/watch?v=MagKuk5wVWI

5-Two Hands Pinch Lift

Exercise one, two, three -2 set, 15-20 reps.

Hanging in time on stick ( bar) - 1set max. time hanging,

Pinch lift -2 set, 10-15 secs

Twice a week

Sorry for my English

Edited by pawel r

• 1 month later...

I think this routine looks very helpful and I will incorporate it into my regular workouts...I just have one question about the pinch grip. How far from the body do the weights need to be? Arm's length?

Just away from the body so that the discs are not touching yourself.

Thanks. One more question...does the thumb have to be potitioned down, or can it be perpendicular to the other fingers? I can pinch a lot more weight the second way, but obviously only in the object is thin enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so grippers are not the nr 1 choice for newbie. But I you still want to, and have a lot of grippers should you do high reps training? Sort of building stronger knuckles before putting that much pressure on them.

I kind of have weak small hands comparing to other men, are a noob but still can 1 rep the coc 2.5. Is that dangerous? I had a lot of injuries in my days in foot, shoulder, underarm (from guitar, 7 year long injury), my back (getting it X rayed soon after having problems for over 1 year) and more... I tend to go in for it too much. I got good genetics for muscle building so muscle grows faster then other stuff. I´m a slow healer in general. And yeah, I always notice the problems when it´s to late :/

knowing that, should I rep higher? I usually do like 2 sets of 1 rep, 2 sets of 5-10 reps and then 1-2 set with the handle facing up 5-10 reps. It feels great, But I don´t want to pop something.. I guess you don´t feel it coming and can stop in time.