First Workout For Beginners

David Horne

David, great program! I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Would you say you should increase the load for each of these every session or should you make it more gradual (ie up the weight each session keeping reps constant vs one session at bottom of rep range then one session increase reps to the upper end of the range then increase weight next session, etc)?

What would you say are good increments to increase for each of these four exercises? My gym has 2.5lb plates (so minimum 5lbs increases for olympic bar finger curls), should I be looking at smaller fractional plates?

Should one expect to see pretty linear gains during the whole few months?

What are some general numbers a beginner should be able to handle for each of these exercises by the end of the program to confidently move on to more advanced grip (and to know they did the program correctly)? The 'few months' time frame is a little vague and I'm wondering what a typical weight progression and ending weight goal should approximately be for these exercises to consider myself to have a good 'balanced foundation' built.

Thanks!

Hi, glad you find it useful.

There is no one-fit-all-workout, and really this is just a safe start for you to learn how grip training feels, and which direction you want to go.

So it's from now that you have to start learning. As far as increments, this is all down to you.

Most important thing is to enjoy your training, and stay clear of injuries for as long as possible.

Training is a learning curve.

Even in my Gripopaedia books I do not feature programmes except for the beginner one. The book concentrates on each event/feat, and gives you all the info you need, and then it is up to you to place it in your schedule.

Everyone is individual!

I have seen a beginner come into the gym I worked at, and Deadlift over 500lb, so the definition of the strengths of a beginner is very wide.

As for linear progression; in real life this never happens. If we take any event/feat, as you improve one small area then another area will be found wanting.

David, great program! I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Would you say you should increase the load for each of these every session or should you make it more gradual (ie up the weight each session keeping reps constant vs one session at bottom of rep range then one session increase reps to the upper end of the range then increase weight next session, etc)?

What would you say are good increments to increase for each of these four exercises? My gym has 2.5lb plates (so minimum 5lbs increases for olympic bar finger curls), should I be looking at smaller fractional plates?

Should one expect to see pretty linear gains during the whole few months?

What are some general numbers a beginner should be able to handle for each of these exercises by the end of the program to confidently move on to more advanced grip (and to know they did the program correctly)? The 'few months' time frame is a little vague and I'm wondering what a typical weight progression and ending weight goal should approximately be for these exercises to consider myself to have a good 'balanced foundation' built.

Thanks!

Thanks David!

One more quick question. You mention that beginners on your program should use gloves on the pinch exercise. I just wanted to ask if those weightlifting gloves with the cut off fingers would work or if you need full work gloves? Do you just need the webbing of the thumb protected or does the entire thumb need to be covered to protect against skin tears?

• 10 months later...

Great program, been doing it for 3 months now and getting awesome results.

Two questions:

1. How do you progress on the plate pinch ?

I can pitch two 10 kg / 22 lb plates for 45 seconds for 3 sets, or 30 seconds for 6+ sets. The next plate up is the 20 kg / 44 lbs, one is easier than two 10s, but two is just impossible. I've been increasing the number of sets and the time held.

Would something like ironminds Pinch Grip Block help here ? If so, are there any gotchas when buying grip blocks, or are they all basically the same (shipping all from the USA is really expensive).

2. Why does the order of the exercises matter ? When I do the reverse wrist curls earlier I find them a lot easier since I'm less tired. They are by far my weakest movement and by doing them last they will remain far weaker relative to the other movements.

Two questions:

I can pitch two 10 kg / 22 lb plates for 45 seconds for 3 sets, or 30 seconds for 6+ sets. The next plate up is the 20 kg / 44 lbs, one is easier than two 10s, but two is just impossible. I've been increasing the number of sets and the time held.

Would something like ironminds Pinch Grip Block help here ? If so, are there any gotchas when buying grip blocks, or are they all basically the same (shipping all from the USA is really expensive).

2. Why does the order of the exercises matter ? When I do the reverse wrist curls earlier I find them a lot easier since I'm less tired. They are by far my weakest movement and by doing them last they will remain far weaker relative to the other movements.

Do you have any 15kg plates?

Two questions:

I would pinch the two 20.kg plates with two hands, and try walking your hands around the plates.

And as far as order of exercises: do them by priority.

• 2 weeks later...

My first workouts back in 2001 and 02 were probably some of my best. I had a 1, 2, and 3 and that was it. I did 3 workouts a week doing grippers for 5x5 or plier holds for time. After that was plate pinch 3 sets for time, plate wrist curls 3 sets of 5, pvp pipe thick bar 3 sets for time holds, and pvc wrist roller 3 sets both ways racked at chest level.

• 4 weeks later...

My first workouts back in 2001 and 02 were probably some of my best. I had a 1, 2, and 3 and that was it. I did 3 workouts a week doing grippers for 5x5 or plier holds for time. After that was plate pinch 3 sets for time, plate wrist curls 3 sets of 5, pvp pipe thick bar 3 sets for time holds, and pvc wrist roller 3 sets both ways racked at chest level.

I may need to try that overall workout!

• 6 months later...
Hey David, I just wanted to clarify the reps/sets for pinch holds in your beginner routine. It says "Do the Pinch holds for 10-15 seconds" and 3 sets of each exercise. Does that mean each entire set is just one 10 second hold? Thus my entire pinch workout is just 3 reps? Or am I misunderstanding?

That seems like fairly low volume, especially compared to the other two exercises that have 3 sets of 15-20 reps which is very high volume so I just wanted to make sure I'm reading this right.

• 2 years later...

David, there seems to be a bit of controversy over the barbell finger curl form in the grip training subreddit. I thought it was common sense that you do these standing with wrists straight. This fairly popular video demonstrates the finger curls being done with wrists bent straight down at 90 degrees. It was brought up that it seems incredibly dangerous for the wrist joint and you would never crush anything with any force like that unless you wanted an injury. The video maker responded that he checked with you on this form but I am having trouble believing you approved of this. That hand position is literally a loaded version of the provocative test for carpal tunnel syndrome PT's and hand surgeons use to compress the nerve (phalen's test). It bends the tendon's line of pull under load for no reason, you have to massively deload the weights, and has zero resemblance to any other grip movement or full body lift. That video is going to seriously injure some people, imo. 

Edited by truth1ness

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I think thats a good idea for beggining grip training.  I remember when I first started the rolling thunder felt like it was going to snap my wrist in half with any type of decent weight.  And this was after years of bodybuilding/traditional weightlifting

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing grip training for almost 2 years, made some progress, but not anywhere near what I should have... I'm going to start doing this routine on Monday, mixed with Simple and Sinister kettlebell training, plus running.  Going to start with the basics..

Edited by Blacksmith513