DO YOU DO ANY OTHER TRAINING?

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

AS YOU HAVE PROBABLY NOTICED, I AM NEW TO THIS BOARD AND I'M JUST CURIOUS ABOUT THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD.  ARE YOU WEIGHT LIFTERS, POWERLIFTERS, STRONGMEN, BODYBUILDERS, OR IS GRIP JUST AN IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR WORK?  FOR ME GRIP WORK IS IMPORTANT AS I FELT THAT IT WAS THE WEAK LINK IN MY TRAINING AND I LOVE THE FEELING IT GIVES YOUR FOREARMS AND HANDS!  

My long time goal, now that I've settled my son, is to compete in a strongman comp. Grip is therefore part and parcel of that goal. Supportive grip is important to me eg. Farmers walks, deadlift holds etc.

Working crushing grip as an aid to rope pulls but for this , although I use grippers, I prefer towel deadlifts.

Tom

(Edited by vikingpower at 4:51 pm on Aug. 13, 2001)

Guest Claemore70

I like the feeling you get when you crush your enemy's   throat while his woman looks on.  Just kidding.  Got carried away with the moment.  Actually I've always just been impressed with the strength of powerful forearms.  I do other work, but I focus on my forearms.

You might want to take your caps lock off. On the net, all caps is yelling. :)

Guest kINGPIN

lol @ claemore70.  Good on all you people.  Although I don't have the ambition of being in strongman comps I feel that a good grip can help in all aspects of life.  And in my opinion a strong set of forearms gives a man a look of power that is hard to get without training it  specificly.  I salute all you masters, and wannabe masters of grip.  May you all close the No. 4!

Wannagrip:  Sorry for yelling at you......I did'nt mean it........I just get lazy with the Caps :-)

Keep up the grippin ppl!

For those of you wanting those big, impressive forearms....  do you specifically TRAIN your forearms, and what have you accomplished?  Did they get bigger?  More strength in your grip?  

Forearms have come pretty much "naturally" to me.... yes, I did train my forearms - and they grew.  I've never given too much thought about it though.  Just a question (and some comments) I wanted to throw out to get some responses.....   :)

Guest kINGPIN

Since I started my grip work my forarms have grown a bit.  They have at least got some good shape to them now.  But I cannot tell if that is the hand work or the lever bar work that I have been doing.  Either way I'm happy with the improvements that I have made in both so I don't intend to ponder on 'why and how' i'm just gonna keep doing it until it stops working. :)

Guest Claemore70

I think when I first started specifically going after my grip, it was mainly to get size.  Now, though, after being on this board, I really want to be able to do some of the feats that the guys (and gals!) on here can do.  I seem to have a knack- for lack of a better word- for it.  I think I've got a fast recovery time after hard work outs without using any of the weight lifter herbs, or powders, or pills.  I've gotten a lot of info from the folks here, and it has turned into my favorite message board.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I have competed in bench contest,(for reps) and have been in 1 strongman contest.I have not got to compete in strongman this year beacuse of a knee injury.Actualy,the only grip work I did ,untill about a tear ago,was whatever I got in my normal workout.Then I found this board and took it as a challange to see if I could do some of the things that some of you do.Now ,I'm hooked !

Guest kINGPIN

I'm just curious Harlan, how much were you benching in that contest.  It is something that I have always wanted to do.  I've got quite a way to go yet (106 kgs at present for about 5/6 reps) but it would be good to see there faces when someone of my build turns up and reps it out. :)

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I was in the rep contest 4 years in a row.My first year I finished 2nd with 13 reps with 300lbs. The next year I changed gyms and begain working out at the guys gym that beat me.He said he wouldn't get in the contest anymore if I would.Well, I won the next three years.The last year was my best.I done 9 reps with 400,23 reps with 300,and 52 with 200.That was 15 years ago.I don't  do flat bench anymore ,but just for kicks I laid down about 3 months ago and got 20 with 300.I think all the log presses and inclines have my chest and front delts strong.

Guest Bobjodoin

I've done a little powerlifting and now am training full time for strongman. My grippers recieve only token work these days but I have put a good bit of effort into my supporting grip. The open hand work used in stone lifting and tire flipping has yielded benefits as well.

Guest Bobjodoin

Tire flipping is a blast. You go at it with everthing you've got. It is very explosive and you can go berzerk with it.

The hands are basically open and you pull with your finger tips. If done right, the hands are actually stabilizers as you should be driving the tire with your shoulders and chest rather than deadlifting it. I've gotten more finger injuries on the tire than any of the other grip work combined. I love it because I hate it.

I've been powerlifting for about three years and kinda pushed my grip training to the side until here lately.  I am suffering from a nasty shoulder injury.  Now that I think about it I probably wouldn't have started grip training full force again unless I injured my shoulder.  There are not too many things I can do to train around the injury, but grip training is definitely one of them.  So I've set my sights on the #3 and gonna give it a go.