Developing a positive attitude

Sybersnott

I don't know whether or not we've touched on this subject or not in the past, but I had a phone call just the other night that changed my mind.... so I decided to create a post on it.

I was talking to a grip newbie who called my hot-line asking lots of questions about grip strength and the grippers.  He went on and on about "I'll never be able to close the #2".  I said, "... not with that attitude you won't".  Let me explain.

I told him that being in the right frame of mind, (i.e. "having a positive attitude") is what got me to where I am today.  I NEVER once thought I could not someday close the CoC #3 - I just kept training hard and knowing my time would come.  Simply put.... if you think you won't close the #3, then you're right - it won't happen for you.  YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT YOU WILL BEAT IT.  Without this attitude, you'll fail.

Before I could close the #3 - I did a "ritual" that sounds corny, but it was, what I call "positive mental attitude" (for lack of a better term).  Here's what I did:  I took the gripper I couldn't close at the time (my #3), and I talked to it.  This is what I said (some words to this effect):

"If you think you've beaten me, you haven't.  If you think you're stronger than I am, you're not.  I will conquer you someday.  I will do what I can within my power to someday master you.  I will win, because I know I am a winner".

If you defeat yourself mentally, you'll never reach your true potential physically.  If you don't have a positive self-attitude, then..... GET ONE!!!  Here are some suggestions.

Is there a song, movie, thought or something that happened in your life that gets YOU PUMPED UP?!?  What sets you "on fire", gets your juices flowing, and makes you feel like taking on the world?  Use this in your grip training, and watch the results.  You just might be amazed at the results!

One last thought:  setting realistic goals.  I believe goals are important - you will set BOTH short-term goals and long-term goals.  And notice I said, "realistic".  Don't say to yourself, "I'm gonna close the #4!" - if you can't even close the #1.  Wishing to close the #4 is good.... but, it is a LONG-TERM GOAL.  Set smaller goals to get to that long-term goal and train hard.  For me, wanting to close the #3 was a long-term goal.  I accomplished that goal - and then when I did, I made a new goal.  My next long-term goal is closing the BB Elite.  When this happens, I'll create a NEW goal.  This is what keeps my motivated, and keeps me going - wanting to grip train, and train with ever increasing intensity!!  

Train HARD.... set those goals.... have a powerful, unwaivering, positive self-attitude.... eat right and get plenty of rest ..... and pray to Saint Sybersnott (the patron saint of grip strength) every night before you go to bed for GRIP STRENGTH!!!!!!  Do this.... and the Grip Gods will answer you!!!  You will not fail - Sybersnott will not let you!!!

And..... as always...... SYBERSNOTT HAS SPOKEN!!!!!   :)

(My apologies to WannaGrip in advance.  I got an incredible rush to my ego that had to be satisfied!  :)   )

Hey Sybersnott,

You are right about developing a positive attitude and getting some mental boosters in your workouts. I lack of determination in my quest for the #3. Every other grip event is fine for me but the #3 do not want to close. I'm going to get mad at it and it will close.

When I'm in the gym, most people won't talk to me because I am like an madman. I got this from Brooks Kubik's Dinosaur Training. When I face a heavy deadlift lockout, things are not pretty in the cage. I might be ugly when lifting but the most important is that the bar is fully lifted.

Now for your rush of grip god wannabe, you might be a certified COC but you're not Horne, Sorin, Brookfield or Kinney yet. However, I know that you have the desire to be one of them. Keep training hard ... and wait for some flamy replies !

Guest kINGPIN

Saint Sybersnott,

I don't think much has been written on positive attitude beyond a mention, good on you.  

Its right about setting short term goals and it impoortant not to get hung up on your lack of strength and let it get you down.  My goal is to be able to close the #2 anytime for reps and only then will I think of tacckling the 3 for real.

• 5 months later...

BTTT!!  This one's for Rick Walker....

This one was buried back on page 35, so I dug it up again for everyone to enjoy!!  Ain't I a nice guy?!?  :)  :p

I talk to my #3 all the time.  But, I dont say all those nice, clean things to it :D !

I tell it I am going to kill it.  I am going to mash its guts out.  I am going to squeeze it so hard that the spring pops off.

Those kind of things-

Rick Walker :hehe

Rick!!  :crazy

What did you're gripper EVER do to you?!?

This thread is about POSITIVE mental attitude!!  Thinking positively!!  Talk NICELY to your gripper.... remember, you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!!

Thinking only nice, sweet, and happy thoughts will get you to close that #3 gripper faster!!  Try it.... you'll see!!  :)  :)

I have found that raging is far more productive for me then being calm.  I am calm when I am thinking, but once that cue goes off-the "in the hole" from the announcer, a part of a song, the smell of the ammonia-I am a rampaging beast.

Once, when I was squatting a new pr in my garage, I finished and racked the bar.  I looked around and my wife was on the stairs, her eyes wide open.  She looked like a scared cat.  I aksed her what was wrong-she says "your a freakin' animal!" I guess my "pre-game" emotions were a bit too much for her-and the neighbors.  They called to ask if everything was okay   :D !  That is common in my neck of the woods.

Use what works! For me, swearing, stomping around, acting like an idiot-that is what fires me up.

Rick Walker

Syber, I couldn't agree more! To quote the immortal Kaz: "Conceive, believe, achieve".

Rick,

I too am quite vocal before and especially during a hard set. We recently bought a townhouse and I was concerned with what the neighbors would think of the guttural, bestial grunts and wails coming from our basement. The past month or so has been fine due to the next unit being vacant. Well I just about did a flip when I saw our new neighbor moving in yesterday. One of the first things he brought off the truck was a stack of oly plates.  :)

Rick.... maybe I should be more open-minded; if it works for you, please... by all means continue.  I would think that all that negative energy would be a detrement.  Maybe not.

Adam.... you are so lucky!!  Now you have someone to work out with (and possibly a new grip partner), so introduce yourself, and tell us what happens!!  :)