Tim's workout log

Guest baldy

I am working towards improving my lagging one-hand pinch. Current PR is 70 lbs with right hand only, set on 12.31.01. Goal is 90 lbs by early to mid April. I will be keeping workout logs here, please feel free to comment as desired.

one hand pinch

20 lbs passed hand to hand 8 times (back and forth = 1 rep)

30 * 5 passes

40 * 3 passes

50 lbs * 1 lift each (ended passes here, just pinching off floor)

55 + loading pin * 1 each

60 + pin * 1

broke (2) 35's 1/2" off ground 3-5 times right hand only

50 lb timed holds - 6 seconds, 6 seconds

passed 40 lbs 11 times to finish pinch

grippers, did #1 * 8 each, #2 * 2 each, PDA SOS 347 * 3 attempts each (closed twice right, none left)

plate wrist curls, 10 lbs * 20 each, 20 lbs * 7 right / 4 left

overall, not feeling my best today

plate pinch cleans

20 lbs * 8 each

30 * 5 each (alternated, taking weight to and from ground each rep)

40 * 1 each (from ground, felt great right and clumsy left)

anvil pinching (3 1/2" across, with small lip)

anvil (weighs 54 lbs on bathroom scale) * 1 each

anvil +5 lbs * 1 each

+10 * 1 each

+15 * 1 right

+20 * 1 right

+22.5 * 1 right (measured total weight on b scale, claimed 78 lbs)

passed anvil hand to hand 6 times

passed (4) 10's for 30 passes to finish pinch

Ivanko Supergripper, with springs @ 5 & 7 did 4 sets of 8 reps each (felt easy right, challenging left)

light extensor work (this is a new thing for me)

felt good today, was especially pleased with the 40 lb passes at the end of the pinching

Tim, is your 347 PDA gripper way above your #2 ? I asked for a 335 and wonder if I should have asked for 375+. I want ot use to close the gap on the #3.

Tou, the 347 is at the very limit of my crushing ability. Whenever I close it the close is not as "definitive" as when I close my #1 or #2. With the #2 I feel it shut and I overcrush it, with the 347 I have to look and see for sure that the handles are touching. In your other posts you said you wanted your SOS for strapholds, and if I was at your level with grippers (according to your posts) this one would be perfect for me. However, I am not ready to straphold with this one yet. I wanted something that I could just close, and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect fit. I couldn't tell you for sure, and I don't want to get a closing torque discussion going, but I think you would want something very close to mine (maybe a little harder). Mine feels to me like what other board members describe their BBM feeling like. The BBM I received was slightly easier than my #2, I sold it and got the PDA gripper.

Hope that answers your question. Some members are skeptical about PDA's calibration, but it worked for me. Buying a BBM worked for many on here, it didn't for me. Go figure.

Thanks Tim,

I cut my #2 handles at 3" and this gripper feels like a 2.7 which is close to my #3. I'll write to John at PDA today to inquire about my order. If it has not been shipped, I'll ask for a 360 gripper.

Anytime Tou. If it works out like mine, 360 should be perfect for you. I haven't used my 347 for strapholds (not strong enough), but I think it will be more challenging than my IM grippers for this because of the oversize chamfer on the handles keeping them from biting into the strap as easily. Every time I have done strapholds with my #2 small chunks of strap got bitten off.

PDA has given me great products and service now for three orders, I hope your experience is the same.

No direct grip work today, but did some brick rows (new PR - 13 bricks for 2 singles) and also played lightly with my PDA Inch DB handle that arrived today. I mention the brick rows because I feel them in my hands, wrists, forearms, and biceps heavily when using enough bricks. As for the Inch handle, no heavy lifts today. I did some presses with it, trying to figure out a good clean and press goal with this handle. I will probably shoot at around 100 lbs for one rep with my right hand. This goal will be approached concurrently with my pinch work, hopefully culminating in April with both goals met. I will know more after tomorrow.

Before writing the results of this workout I need to explain what my thought process was regarding the order of lifts. My focus until April is as follows:

1. 90 lb pinch (main goal)

2. 100 lb (+ / -) clean and press from floor with PDA Inch DB handle (secondary goal)

While working towards this, I would like to at least maintain my current plate curl if it doesn't go up a little. Everything else grip related I am not concerned with, if it goes down or up a little so be it. I do other stuff if energy is available, but the 90 lb pinch & 100 lb Inch are the focus (that has a ring to it). That being said, the order of lifts will look funny to the careful reader since the pinch is near the bottom. I did the plate curls first because I don't think they take much away from this thin pinch. They also warmed my thumb up good for the next lifts. The Inch lift I needed to do fairly fresh to get a good idea of my ORM, which I did. The thin pinch is a new lift for me, and it will be nearer the top next time.

plate curls

10 lbs * 5 each

25 * 5

25 + loading pin + 2.5 * 1

25 + pin + 5 * 1

25 + pin + 7.5 * 1

35 * 1 (form good right, starting to slip a little left)

35 + pin + 2.5 * 1 (right only)

35 * 3 singles (right still looking good, left taking a downhill slide)

35 * 4 reps right

25 + pin + 5 * 5 reps left

25 * 10 each to finish plate curls

PDA Inch DB handle deadlifts from floor

68 lbs * 1 each

88 * 1

108 * 1

113 * 1 (right hand full deadlift, left only 2" off ground)

118 * 1 (got it with each hand, but both only 2" off ground)

123 * 1 (this only came up 2", and went down as quick as it came up)

103 * 5 second hold each, * 3 second hold each to finish PDA Inch

thin (3/4") one hand plate pinch

This is a 5 lb standard plate gripped on the smooth part (not the stamp) with weights hanging off it. Recorded weight pinched is total weight including apparatus.

30 lbs * 2 reps each

35 * 1

25 * 20 sec hold to finish pinch (thumb needs a  rest)

hangs from IronMind eagle loops (no pullups today, just hangs)

10 second hang with all 4 fingers (bw only)

10 sec M,R,L (bw)

5 sec I,M (bw + 50)

5 sec M,R (bw + 50)

5 sec I,M (bw + 75)

5 sec M,R (bw + 75) these last 2 were fairly painful.

Felt fairly good today. Plate curl wasn't my worst day, but it wasn't my best day either. The PDA Inch was about 5 lbs better than I had realistically thought I would do. The thin pinch is going to be fun (got the idea from Nick's Tips off main page), but the Inch took my energy. That will not be the case next time, the thin pinch will be done fresher.

one hand pinch

20 lbs * 10 passes

30 * 10 passes

70 lbs * 1 lift right handed only

50 lb timed holds * 7 secs, * 5 secs

50 lb * 15 passes

2 negative reps each with goal weight (90 lbs, in the form of 2 normal Olympic 45's)

30 lb timed hold * 55 secs left hand / 65 secs right hand

plate wrist curls

10 lbs * 12 each

20 * 8 each

25 * 1 right

PDA IDB hammer curls

38 lbs * 8 each

48 * 6 each

58 * 2 each

I was disappointed with the way the pinching was going until I managed 15 hand-to-hand passes with 50 lbs. After that the timed holds with 30 lbs went well. My forearms really felt the heavier passes and the long timed hold. I am really looking forward to my next pinch workout. The hammer curls are new in my workouts, and the reasons are multiple: First, I have never owned a dumbell handle until I got the PDA Inch DB handle. Second, I wanted to try hammer curls since it has been about 2 years since I have done them (back when I went to a gym). Third, they will help me in my clean and press goals since it looks like the clean is the weak link. I really like them on this handle, and they were more challenging for me than on a normal 1" dumbell handle. There seems to be a lot of stress (good stress, not injury stress) placed on my wrist when I do them. I can always use a little more wrist strength.

This workout included non grip items as well, but some things from that segment do need to be noted. In working on standing presses with the IDB, I cleaned the weight up before the first rep of each set, then pressed for reps. I worked up to a smooth clean and press with 78 lbs, then jumped to 98 lbs. I failed the clean, and tried a 2nd attempt. The second almost made it, and I salvaged a continental out of it. Then I pressed the weight in what started as a push press and ended as a bent press. I need to iron out the form on this, and I raised my goal to c&p 113 lbs on this handle by April. Also did bricklifting today and matched my previous PR of 13 bricks, but couldn't get 14. My wrists were really feeling this, and I encourage board members who like all around strength to try bricklifting sometime.

plate cleans (done from a hang)

20 lbs * 8

30 * 8 (this set was hard without chalk)

one hand wide plate pinch

(4) 10's * 3

(5) 10's * 1

(4) 10's * 10 sec hold (tore right thumb here)

Next I lifted this block weight I have 4 times each hand (to waist and back down with control). It is half of a York 55 lb dumbell, but it is not oval shaped it is globe shaped. Sort of like a shot put, but textured. I have to put my thumb on the '55' stamp to lift it for now. The globe is very wide for my hand, about halfway between a softball and a small bowling ball. From here on out in the log it will be called something like "28 lb York globe".

IDB swings (thanks Heath) starting with db between legs and a little bit behind me, ending with arm locked out overhead

53 lbs * 3 each (getting the feel for lift, no chalk, alternating)

53 * 8 each (chalked and no alternating)

IDB

113 lbs * 5 sec hold right / 2 sec left, * 3 sec right / 1 sec left

113 lbs * 3 reps, * 3 reps

Ivanko SuperGripper, springs at 8 & 4, did 5 sets of 6

I had to cut my pinching a little short because of the thumb tear, noticed blood on my plates after my timed holds. The swings are going to be really good to help me reach my clean and press goal, I will give them more priority next time. I wanted to test the waters a little with them first. The IDB holds & lifts were lackluster, but I will probably still stick with my target clean and press weight just to make sure.

plate curls

warmup, then singles up to 35 lb plate + pin + 7.5 lbs right hand / 35 lb plate + pin + 2.5 lbs left hand. Finished plate curls with 6 singles each on a 35 lb plate. Got a tremendous cramp in my right arm or I would have probably done more volume.

one hand thin pinch

10 lbs on pin * 6 passes

20 * 2 reps

25 * 1 rep

broke 27.5 + apparatus off ground about 1" twice each hand (total weight 38 lbs by bathroom scale)

17.5 lbs + apparatus for 12 second hold each, then 8 second hold each

IDB deadlifts

108 lbs * 1 (full straddle deadlift)

118  (1 full straddle deadlift right / broke 4" off ground twice left)

128 * 1 (4" up each)

138 * 3 each (just broke off ground 1" or so)

108 * 5 sec hold right / 3 sec hold left

108 * 5 each (first rep full staddle deadlift, last rep only 2" off ground)

Today I mixed my non-grip stuff (not recorded since it isn't grip related) in with my grip stuff. Working a compound movement then a grip specific movement seemed to make everything coalesce nicely for this workout, I will experiment with this concept further. Also tried to work on my plate curl form using some input from Michael Daly and Steve G (thanks guys). As Nathan posted in the main grip training area, I feel the heavier plate curls in a similar way to the thin plate pinching. I also think that my weak pinch hinders me on plate curls, hopefully that will soon change. As the weight gets heavier my pinch isn't strong enough to hold the weights in a proper position. When they slip even slightly downward, it makes the curl exponentially harder.

In closing this entry, I will note that I am pleased with my IDB progress. Though a heavy deadlift isn't my goal, it will help me reach my clean and press goal. I have never made any thick handle progress to speak of until these last couple of weeks, so this is cool for me.

Guest woody36

Tim,

just wanted to say i enjoy reading your workout

reports,and i wish you luck in acheiving your goal.

Although i don't think you need any!

All the best

Woody

Woody, I don't believe in luck but I do appreciate the well wishing. I do need all the help I can get. Thanks for the post, it is always good to hear input. Once I get around to specializing on bending I will have to ask you and the other bending monsters a bunch of questions, so be prepared.

I am a big fan of your workout reports, and I was just about to private message you a week or 2 ago about the lack of reports. Before I got around to it, you posted one up. I wish you the best in your training as well, keep those bends coming. I am glad that you are back at it.

one hand pinch

20 lbs * 12 passes around body

50 lbs * 1 lift each hand with no chalk (never did that before)

50 lbs * 11 sec hold right / 5 sec left

passed 50 lbs 15 times

(4) 10's * 25 second hold

2 negatives with 80 lbs + loading pin

plate wrist curls

10 lbs * 10

20 * 10

25 * 2 right

25 * 15 sec hold right / 8 sec left (straight out) - thanks Scott

IDB clean & press

58 lbs * 5

68 * 3

78 * 1

88 * 1 right only

98 * 1 right (good clean, pressed with a good push press)

finished with 123 lb power clean / front squat / overhead press on 2" non-revolving bar * 5 reps

Still ironing out the kinks on the pinch workout. My primary goal is to increase my pinch grip to (2) normal Olympic 45's. I am going to work more with that width and less with others (going to try dropping thin entirely and working wide after standard for a month or so). Today was not what I wanted on pinch. Plate wrist curls and IDB stuff is progressing steadily. The finisher was something I got off Herk Sparkman's logs on cyberpump, but he used an Eleiko bar. Since I did thick handle work today I wanted to use a thick bar. This was much harder than I thought it would be (partly because of the non-grip stuff I did today), and I will be doing it again. My goal is 20 reps with the same weight. That is the closest thing to cardio I have done in a little bit.

As a side note, Herk did 20 reps with 185 lbs on the finisher combo (in his log I referred to), pretty amazing considering all the heavy stuff he did before that in the workout.

one hand pinch

warmup with 20 lb passes and tosses

50 * 1

55 + pin * 1

60 + pin * 1 right / broke off ground 3-4 times left

70 * 1 full deadlift & hold right (maybe 3 second hold) / 1 neg left

70 * 1 right (only halfway to full stand here) / 1 neg left

(5) 10's * 1

(2) 25's * 8 second hold right / 3 reps left

(5) 10's * 6 second hold right / 2 reps left

(3) 10's + 5 lbs hanging off 10's (35 lbs total weight) * 60 second hold right / 38 second left

IDB swings

58 * 6 (no alternate)

68 * 3 (alternating)

extensor work to finish

Pinching felt really good today, and I have a better plan on how to go about meeting my pinch goal. My non-grip stuff went really well too, generally a good workout.

Everything I did today involved grip passively, and my hands and forearms were fried by the end of the workout. I will spare the details since none of it was what I would call direct grip work. Suffice to say that it did tax my lower arms though it didn't directly focus on them.

plate curls

warmup, then singles up to 35 + pin + 2.5 lbs

2 negative reps with a 45 lb plate

35 * 2 (alternating)

35 + 2 lb magnet at end * 2 singles right / 25 + pin + 7.5 * 2 singles left (fast up, slow down on these)

one hand pinch

tossed 20 lbs hand to hand * 10

tossed 50 * 2 (left hand dropped it on second one)

55 + pin * 1 lift each hand

60 + pin * 1 right only

passed 20 lb York blob hand to hand * 10 (thumbs and index fingers only)

IDB deadlifts

68 * 1

88 * 1

98 * 1

118 * 1 (full lift right / 4" up left)

128 * 1 (3" up)

143 * 6 (only 1/2" up each time, but enough to break both ends off ground)

plate wrist curls

10 lbs (1-10's) * 5

15 lbs (3-5's) * 5

20 lbs (2-10's) * 5

25 lb plate * 3 right

2 negative reps with 25 lb plate + 2 lb magnet at end

20 lbs (2-10's) * 11 right / 7 left

Plate curls lagged a little today. I am considering cutting the plate curls for a month or so and working on supporting movements instead, we'll see. Pinching felt bad, so I scrapped it early. The IDB lifts are still progressing. The plate wrist curls are also steadily getting better. I guess I would say the workout got better as it went.

Nothing directly grip related, but a lot of indirect grip stuff (high rep deadlifts, pullups, etc). Grip fatigued pretty hard a couple of times, and forearms were blasted at end of workout.

What did you think of the pinch tosses?  

My hands were sore the day after I first tried them, but I'm not sure if it was the tossing, or the other things I did.

Scott, I like the pinch tosses but I would prefer them with a suitable blob. My 20 lb one is too light now, but I used to love tossing it when it was hard. The (2) 25's are a little heavy for me to get good reps with tosses, and I don't think I could keep (4) 10's together. I might try something like that on today's workout, I planned to start with either plate cleans or tosses.

Grip work was intermingled with non-grip work throughout this workout. Only grip stuff is posted, but most other work involved grip at least passively.

pinch plate cleans

20 * 8 (from hang)

30 * 5 (from hang)

40 * 1 (from floor)

one hand pinch

(5) 10's * 1 (this was a missed clean attempt)

(2) 35's + 2 lb magnet * 1 right only (felt great)

(2) 25's for 19 second hold right / 8 sec left

(2) 25's for 9 second hold right / 8 sec left

(3) 10's * 10 hand-hand tosses

(4) 10's * 10 hand-hand tosses

IDB clean and press

58 * 1

68 * 1

78 * 1

88 * 1 (no press left)

attempted 103 three or four times right, couldn't get a clean

plate wrist curls

5 lbs * 3

10 * 3

15 * 3

20 * 3

25 * 1

25 + 2 lb magnet @ end of plate * 1 right / one neg rep left

25 + 2 lb magnet * 8 sec hold straight out

20 lbs (two 10's) * 15 right / 10 left

Pinching went great. The plate cleans are fun and after 40 lbs came up easy I wanted to try 50 but I only lifted it, couldn't get the clean. That is why my first one hand pinch lift was with 5 10 lb plates. The plate pinch tosses surprised me, I didn't think 3 or 4 10 lb plates would stay together in the air but they did OK. IDB c&p was disappointing with the failed clean on 103. If I had tried a continental on the 2nd attempt I think I could have gotten it, but maybe not. There is always next time to try. Plate wrist curls are steadily progressing.

one hand pinch

warmup with 20 lbs (lifts, passes, & tosses)

50 * 1

76 lbs (2 - 35's + 6 lbs magnet) * 1 right

broke (2) 35's off ground once left, then 2 negs

(2) 25's * 7

(5) 10's * 8 second hold right / 4 sec left

(4) 10's * 37 second hold right / 24 sec left

IDB lifts

93 * 1 (full deadlift)

123 * 1 (8" up)

148 * 4 (only broke 1/2" off ground)

103 * 7 second hold right / 4 sec left

103 * 2 (full deadlift)

plate wrist curls

warmup

25 + 2 lb magnet * 1 right

25 * 1 left (sloppy)

25 + 3 lb magnet * 10 second hold (straight out) right / 4 sec left

25 * 4 right

(2) 10's * 15 right / 11 left

extensor work

farmer's walked a 45 lb plate in each hand around house one time without stopping

All this was in addition to my normal workout, which included (as usual) a lot of indirect grip work. Pinching went well, I was pleased with the 76 lbs. It fell from my hands before I could straighten up fully, I was halfway up. Instead of slowly peeling away it just fell, that has never happened to me. Maybe that is normal with heavier weights. IDB lifts are holding steady. Plate wrist curls right on schedule. Extensor work done (reluctantly) to encourage muscle balance and reduce chance of injury. The farmer's walk was a great finisher, I haven't done that in about 8 months. It was significantly easier since the last time I did it, I used to have to stop at least once.

anvil pinches (55 lb Harbor Freight anvil)

anvil * 2

anvil + 5lbs * 1

+10 * 1

+15 * 1 right / broke off ground left

+15 * 1 negative rep left

+25 * 1 right (only 1 or 2" off ground)

+26 * 1 right (only 1 or 2" off ground) - total weight by bathroom scale was 83 lbs

27 lb York ball pinches (all lifts done with thumb on '55' stamp)

4 lifts with each hand

2 cleans with right hand / 1 clean with left hand

5 second hold right / 3 second left

Little Big Horn

45 lbs * 1

100 * 1

125 * 1 right / broke off ground left

broke 135 off ground right

100 lbs * 4 second hold

Just for kicks after this simulated horn lifting, I cleaned my 55 lb anvil twice right handed. I would have tried left, but I was inside my garage due to rain. My left is significantly less coordinated than my right. It could have gotten ugly.

reverse curls / no thumb grip on IM 2" bar

33 lbs * 6

53 * 6

63 * 5

73 * 1

nail bending (see below for form used)

bent 60d nail to 'U'. The nail was bent a little over 3/4" off center.

attempted 2 60d's taped together, didn't even kink it

extensor work

OK, I totally went crazy today and did movements that I had not done in a while (except for the anvil pinches). I needed a little break from the usual. I have progressed in all my anvil work from the pinching / IDB work I have been doing for the last 2 months. I finally cleaned that 27 lb York ball (fairly easily). My LBH lift had gone up since the last time I tried it. The reverse curls and nail bending have slid down just a little. The reverse curls feel a little harder since I haven't done them in a long time and the nail didn't go down quite as easy as I would have liked. It bent, but not strict and not overly easy.

Let me explain my nail bending form for the benders reading this: I start with hands stacked on top of one another, right on top left on bottom. Hands in fists, back of hands facing away from me. I then blow into it without touching my body. Usually (this is where my form gets squirrelly) I bend forward until my hands are between my shins, all the while not contacting my legs. All the while grunting angrily, maybe growling a little. So far, a strict bend. However, once it sticks I re-grip with one hand on each end of the nail, index fingers touching, palms towards me with hands in fists. I then bend forward slightly while bracing (no longer a strict bend) on my abdomen / hip flexors with the bottom of my hands / wrists. Once I bend it down to a suitable distance here I re-grip a third and final time, interlocking my fingers and finishing it off with inward chest / hand pressure. When I get serious about bending I will have to do something about my form.

one hand pinch

tossed 20 lb blob * 15

broke 40 lb blob off ground 4-6 times each hand, best attempt was left handed (3" up)

4 good long negs with 40 lb blob

1 quick short neg with 45 lb blob

lifted (2) 25's once

held (5) 10's for 15 seconds right / 3 second left

broke (5) 10's + loading pin + 2.5 lbs off ground twice

plate wrist curl

5 lbs * 10

10 * 10

20 * 3

25 * 1

25 + 3 lb magnet * 1 right (took 3 or 4 tries)

25 + 3 lb magnet * 4 negs

25 * 3 right / 1 left

25 + 5 * 6 second hold right / 4 sec left (straight out)

(2) 10's * 12 left / 17 right

overhand deadlifts on 2" bar

124 lbs * 1

214 * 1

234 * 1

244 * 1

254 * 1

extensor work

On this workout I got to use my new toys courtesy of Mr Sorin. This was my first time out with the heavy blobs, I think that I should be able to get a full deadlift out of the 40 in a month or so. The 45 will be much much harder for me. It feels like it stacks up like a typical BBM stacks up to a typical IM #3. I could only imagine what the 50 feels like. I started to do standard width pinching but the 25's just didn't feel right so I stuck with wide today. I was really pleased with the long hold (right hand) on the wide 50 lbs. Plate wrist curls progressing (heavier weight right handed, easier time w/ 25 left) slowly but steadily. I didn't do any IDB stuff because I broke one of my GINCs on my last workout, when the replacement arrives I will resume that. The thick bar deadlifts were a suitable replacement. Also, the "non-grip" stuff I did today beat my hands up pretty bad. I replaced my reverse grip with an overhand grip on my normal bar deadlifts and that was the first thing I did today (non-grip stuff isn't listed here, just mentioning it), kind of rough on the hands.

I can't wait to take another stab at that 40 lb blob, I will probably wait one week.

one hand pinch

passed (2) 10's around body * 10 each direction

lifted 25's once each hand, felt way heavy. Decided to change direction a little

GREX pinches

sled only * 3

sled + 5 lbs * 1

+ 10 lbs * 1, pinch still feeling bad

2" vertical bar lift (IM loading pin)

45 * 1

100 * 1

125 * 1

135 * 1

145 * 1

broke 155 off ground * 2 right only

plate wrist curls

10 lbs * 10

20 * 10

25 * 3 right only

levering

warmup with small hammer

levered 8 lb sledge overhead strict (down and up)

leverd axe (approx 4 lb head) forward * 5

warmup with small hammer

levered 10 lb sledge overhead (8 lb hammer + 2 lb magnet on top) down slowly (touched forehead, no assist from off hand) but couldn't lever back up

levered axe forward * 8

extensor work

This was a bad workout. The non-grip stuff I did on this day was even worse. Pinching felt all but impossible. The vertical bar lift was not horrible (for me), but not good either. The plate wrist curls have regressed. The levering was my best attempt at a hammer heavier than 8 lbs. My form on the overheads is with arm higher than my shoulder (at least 2") and positioned not straight out but not to the side either, more of a 45 degree angle or so. Last time I tried that weight I almost got buried, this time I basically did a slow negative until it gently touched my forehead.

I have been thinking about totally changing my format of grip work, while maintaining my current goals until April. Also, my new GINC I bought arrived to replace the one that broke. I will plan on resuming my clean / continental & push press attempts soon.

Guest baldy

pinching

2 hand - 90 * 2, 110 + pin * 2, 130 + pin * 1

blobs - 20 * 3 (warmup for 40), attempted 40 several times but nothing more than 1/2" break off ground

grippers - #1 * 10, #2 * 2, PDA 347 * 2 attempts (no close)

#1 straphold w/10 lbs * 10 sec right / 3 sec left

#1 straphold w/10 lbs * 10 sec right / 3 sec left

#1 straphold w/10 lbs * 8 sec right / 3 sec left

closed #1 w/ 2 fingers

Guest baldy

set / close / set / close with #1 throughout morning

Taking Heath's advice, I have started aggressively working on my gripper positioning. I haven't really resumed normal training yet, just getting the feel for the grippers again.

Guest Uberman

Tim, I enjoy reading your workouts, keep them coming. I see you are working on gripper placement, any tips you can pass on. I have been very close to closing the #3 taking a little extra time off think I overtrain a bit, but seems like my grip isn't consistant. What every you are trying and have heard will be helpful. Thanks Mike

Guest baldy

Mike, glad to have you aboard. I am trying some of Heath's suggestions regarding gripper training. He advocates light training with IM trainer / #1 on off days to keep in the groove positioning-wise. I haven't used grippers in a while, so my swerve is gone. Right now, I am sort of on a layoff but I am using my #1 often to practice positioning. I mainly make sure that my pinky is halfway on and halfway off the bottom of the far handle, and I push the near handle as far forward as I can with my off hand before I squeeze. This seems to be my strongest position. The constant light gripper closings seem to me to build confidence and speed into the movement as well.

As for the finer aspects of positioning / setting the gripper in the hand, Heath (BearCat 74) is the expert. I haven't used them enough to give anyone any sound advice. If you have been "very close" to closing a #3 then you have gotten farther than me.