Joe Kinney

kelby

No matter what Joe Kinney did on video there will always be someone who doubts it. If he opened the gripper someone would say "ya but it was easy". If he showed 5 friends who signed affidavits people would say it was his friends. No amount of proof is enough for some people and in the end who cares.

I for one think that was the most incredible close I have ever seen. His thumb muscle dancing around was unreal. I watched Joe talk about his training techniques and the things he designed to improve his crush. He came up with some incredible stuff way ahead of his time, that people are using with great success now. I read Joe Kinney's input on the Strossen book on grippers. The man is intense, focused and driven. As far as I know one guy from the board has met him and he has no doubts about his ability to close the #4. That man who met him knows a thing or two about closing grippers.

Ishred I hope that someday if/when you close the #4 you politely suffer through the same doubt that you are dishing out with dignity. Cause a mans word, a video, freaky strong looking hands like no other I have seen isn't enough for you. How do you think you will stack up when you do it.

Greg Amidon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• king crusher

• ishred

• kelby

• tspinillo

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what Joe Kinney did on video there will always be someone who doubts it. If he opened the gripper someone would say "ya but it was easy".  If he showed 5 friends who signed affidavits people would say it was his friends.  No amount of proof is enough for some people and in the end who cares. 

I for one think that was the most incredible close I have ever seen.  His thumb muscle dancing around was unreal.  I watched Joe talk about his training techniques and the things he designed to improve his crush.  He came up with some incredible stuff way ahead of his time, that people are using with great success now.  I read Joe Kinney's input on the Strossen book on grippers.  The man is intense, focused and driven.  As far as I know one guy from the board has met him and he has no doubts about his ability to close the #4.  That man who met him knows a thing or two about closing grippers. 

Ishred I hope that someday if/when you close the #4 you politely suffer through the same doubt that you are dishing out with dignity. Cause a mans word, a video, freaky strong looking hands like no other I have seen isn't enough for you.  How do you think you will stack up when you do it.

Greg Amidon

i don't know joe, haven't seen his video or read anything he wrote. I can only go by what i read others write. from what i've read, the man is a STRONG MOFO.

I've seen people say they want to see video from people on the board who are strong and have people who can back them up.

I haven't seen the video, but i've heard that he closed it, made it look easy, but the video didn't show the opening.

I think this is a good topic to discuss because there are people in the world who will look to pull a fast one on someone. There are people who will never compete, or care to show anyone what they have done, but wouldn't mind having their name on some "elite" list if they can find any easy way about it. I'm not saying Kinney did, but from what i've heard, it could go either way. Sorry that he had to be the topic, but it was what he did that made it a topic.

Just like i've said earlier, there are people on that #3 list who have certed with easy 3's...there are 3's out there that are jokes......

ishred, try something for me, grab a store bought gripper or a heated gripper like Clay has and close it and while you do watch the color of your finger tips, then do it again with a #3 or #4, you should see a difference in the color of the fingertips, now if you have access, watch Joe fingers and unless they aren't in the picture or are dirty or something they also should change. Now this doesn't mean a 365lb #4 was ground down but it should give an indication if any pressure was applied.

someone said he doest make any money off this?

i was under the impression that he sells the videos,so if that is the case he infact does make money.

and in this day and age of videos of every kind on the internet,can NO ONE post the video. lets all see this video,we all like gripping and i would like to see it.

and is it true or untrue about the gripper being lost.

this whole thing is funny to me because it seems no one really knows anything of solid concrete evidence????

look at big steve squeezing popping the cans. and compare it to joe kinney, i can say joe has an easier time popping them, never mind choking the shit out of them. goes to say that his grip is no phony. when pops them on the video they soulnd like a gun shot.

If I'd have been making it, I'd have never thought someone would doubt me because I didn't OPEN the gripper.

I think this is the best point so far apart from the personal testimony of Heath. There are a number of closes in the gripboard movie gallery that don't show the gripper opening and it never seems to be an issue. If I was filming the close and it didn't have the opening in it, it would have never crossed my mind that it would be a problem because I couldn't imagining some one might care.

I mean honestly if I, or anyone here for that matter, closed a #3 or even a #4 with a no set and posted the video on the board but didn't show the opening and someone said they doubted the feat because of that, I would tell them to eat shit and die. Now that's not directed at you Ishred but imagine if someone doubted you on similar grounds based on something you didn't feel was that important. Granted the rumors of lost grippers and Strossen not witnessing it are strange and certainly not ideal, but all I can speculate is that "shit happens".

Anyway, what about the poundages he works with on his plate loader, don't those give one a good idea of his gripper capabilities as well? (Yes they do, don't answer, just give some numbers if you know them.)

link to video anyone? seems weird that the supposed holy grail of gripping feats is not here to view.

we have seen COUNTLESS videos of all sorts of things on this board but never this very first 4 close?

is it in some gallary?

link to video anyone? seems weird that the supposed holy grail of gripping feats is not here to view.

we have seen COUNTLESS videos of all sorts of things on this board but never this very first 4 close?

is it in some gallary?

It is available from JoeK.

I think you would need permission from him to post it. I doubt

anyone who BOUGHT the tape would post it also.

I'm ordering next week. I've put off long enough.

T!

Edited by tspinillo

I JUST HEATED MY #4. But first...

I got home from work today discovered this thread. This blows me away!

I have the tape "Get a Grip" by Joe Kinney. I watch it all the time. Sean Dockery came out last Saturday and armwrestled with me and we watched the tape afterward. I have to tell you, guys, I never thought twice about him not opening the gripper. And why would that even be a big deal to him? I'm sure he's thinking that we all want to see him CLOSE the #4 - not open it! So why is that even a big deal? When I close a gripper, I usually open it on the way back down anyway.

Anyway, I started thinking about what was said about the gripper not opening if it was heat treated, so..... I took my #4 gripper out into my garage just 20 minutes ago and put my torch to it over and over until I have it where I can almost shut it. But guys, I gotta tell you, the gripper opens back up! I should have measured the width of the handles before I torched it, but I didn't. But the gripper looks to me just like it did before I heated it. It's setting right by me now. I'm thinking that there might be a .5 inch difference, but I'm not sure. But anyway, it's no where near enough to have even noticed it on a tape. So, I just think - and I'm speaking from experience - anytime someone does something outstanding, there will be a few who will try anything to tear them down.

Some of you guys may remember this, but last year I took my Preacher bench and a 50 pound DB to work because I had a bet with a guy. I knocked out 28 reps with each hand (one hand at a time) with a 50 pounder doing strict Hammer-curls. That guy was so envious and angry that I was able to do that - that he started a series of personal attacks on me that lasted for months and it got so bad that I had to go hire a Lawyer to get it stopped. I think the same thing is going against Joe Kinney

Anyway, I tried it first hand with my gripper. Try it and see what you come up with.

Dave...

But anyway, it's no where near enough to have even noticed it on a tape.  So, I just think - and I'm speaking from experience - anytime someone does something outstanding, there will be a few who will try anything to tear them down.

Dave...

WELL SAID.

T!

is it in some gallary?

The video has a copyright at the beginning. It belongs to Joe Kinney. No one has posted it because they do not have the rights to do so without his permission.

I bought a copy of the video and have watched the close a dozen times.

1. He takes the gripper spring and compares it to a quarter to show you the spring size is that of a #4

2. He gives the gripper a very shallow set

3. He mashes the gripper shut in about three seconds

4. He grinds the handles to prove they are touching

5. The gripper begins to open up

6. His hand swings down as he grunts during the opening.

7. The film cuts since his hand is out of view

Later in the video he proceeds to crush quite a few beer cans in a strangle hold which is frankly amazing! I don't see any reason to doubt the man.

Vlad Mikulich

Downey, CA

Mikulich,

GREAT POINTS! Could not have said it better. I agree. And to even focus on the opening makes no sense. It's a mute point.

Dave...

so how do you lose a gripper all of a sudden. weird stuff. 

someone said about certifying on an easy gripper.........

i closed an easy 3 in front of quite a few people but would not cert on it because i felt it wouldent be right. a few repetuble names on this board were there.

i tried a harder avg 3 and could not do it infront of strossen himself. but i could have done the easy one but did not.

On Page 31 of Randall Strossen's book "Captains of Crush Grippers: What they are and how to close them" there is a picture of Joe kinney's #4 gripper so it is NOT lost.

There is also a paragraph stating the following "The truth is that a) here is is, b) its been well-used and is in fine health, c) when we recently retested it, it came in at full strength, and d) anyone who says anything to the contrary is misinformed or has an axe to grind."

Nice!

Dave..

Edited by sixgun

well if it is indeed not lost i am not really skeptcal anymore. but if it was indeed lost i would not really belive it.

and who ever said he makes no money from it is ill informed....as its COPYWRITED and he sells them himself.

I'd like to see how many people would be running their mouth if Joe was a member here. :cool

well if it is indeed not lost i am not really skeptcal anymore. but if it was indeed lost i would not really belive it.

and who ever said he makes no money from it is ill informed....as its COPYWRITED and he sells them himself.

It may be copyrighted, but judging by what I've heard, Kinney isn't exactly rolling in cash and living the high life from the sales of the video. I'm pretty sure that he's not driving a Hummer from the few dozen copies he's probably sold over the past few years :) Heck, a few people here have probably made more money than that just selling old equipment on the board! Think about what it would be like if you were the first to accomplish an incredible feat, document it, and make an instructional video - wouldn't you consider trying to make a dollar or two from your efforts for something that others will consider a valuable tool? That's like saying that the Diesel Crew is obligated to publicly post all the Grip Challenge DVD footage they shot because it's for the "greater good" - if someone goes through the trouble to make a quality production and you're interested in seeing it, be willing to pay the price to check it out. Definitely way different from shooting a 10 second clip and posting it publicly, in my opinion.

VeGripper

jad,

i dont think i or anyone else would care if kinny was a member and reading this right now.

and im sure kinny is not an e-thug and would try and do anything about it online.

Joe is the man when it comes to grippers and remains so today. No one has been even close to date.

I think it will take someone with the genetics to totally dedicate themselves to grippers for awhile to even have a shot to get close.

I am firmly convinced that Jedd Johnson uses wood Blobs in his Double Blob clean video, and that Wade Gillingham uses aluminum plates in all of his pinch videos.

Why do I say that? Because I am so darn prideful that it is inconceivable to me that anyone could be stronger than I am in the strength feat that is my claim to fame.

I hope my post above illustrates how silly this discussion sounds. And in all reality I do believe the second sentence is what's going on here.

I do not doubt the strength of either men above. I simply thought it was an excellent illustration. My apologies for the momentary insult.

Joe's #4 close comes up in cycles here with the believers/non-believer debate ongoing. :)

I've talked to Joe myself, and let me tell you, he breathes determination.

I've been around long enough to know that 1) the Kinney topic comes up from time to time, 2) niether side really wins the debate.

I thought it might be interesting to ask what motivates the doubters to doubt. A little introspection is good for the soul.

Sean, I cannot disagree more. What you have said is exactly what comes to mind, i.e. " .... I am so darn prideful that it is inconceivable to me that anyone could be stronger than I am in the strength feat that is my claim to fame". I will add to that very fine point of Sean's -it seems as though no one is challenging Nathans Hale's, Tommy's, Dave Morton's ( okay, maybe not dave because john brookfeild has seen his close? good grief! ), Magnus Samuelson's ability to close these gripper's- is it a ' coincidence ' , since they have NOT openly stated that they have chosen not to continue this type of training, and their ability to close a #4 is still potentially formidable? hmmmmmm

I've been around long enough to know that 1) the Kinney topic comes up from time to time, 2) niether side really wins the debate.

I thought it might be interesting to ask what motivates the doubters to doubt.  A little introspection is good for the soul.

sean, weren't you the guy in Shrugs training thread that demanded to see a video of his training? Obviously you don't believe him

I haven't seen joe's video, and have heard things like "the gripper was lost", "the video doesn't show the opening", "he doesn't train grip anymore after that close" and "noone in the gripworld came down to view the first #4 close".....these things make me suspicious.

I heard Gene R. has a new world record squat or bench press....but he's selling the video......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...i guess i'll have to believe it.