Joe Kinney

kelby

That Kinney close was the best close I have ever seen. My jaw is still on the floor at home where I watched it. Some day I will remember to go pick it back up...

I showed dave, it has haunted his dreams ever since....

Greg Amidon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• king crusher

• ishred

• kelby

• tspinillo

Top Posters In This Topic

so how do you lose a gripper all of a sudden. weird stuff.

someone said about certifying on an easy gripper.........

i closed an easy 3 in front of quite a few people but would not cert on it because i felt it wouldent be right. a few repetuble names on this board were there.

i tried a harder avg 3 and could not do it infront of strossen himself. but i could have done the easy one but did not.

I've never heard of him closing it in front of Strossen.  His wife and some photographer witnessed the close.  Then the #4 he certified on either went missing, was stolen, or something else.

That was the rumor for a while, but then Ironmind put a picture of it in one of the catalogs a few years ago. The catalog also says they tested it after Kinney closed it.

If I remember correctly Heath saw and held this exact gripper when he met Kinney a year or so ago. He said it was the same as in the video and pictures he saw and did have the mangled knurling from Kinney grinding the handles. According to Heath it was a pretty tough #4.

That post and thread with Heath's exact words should be in the archives somewhere.

thats a nice write up but imho did not "prove" anything.

i mean,he showed a #4 to heath. ok?

he did not even close a 3 in front of heath.

i understand the man was injured due to such a dedicated quest for the 4? is this correct? but still did not prove anything really.

im just saying this. if i or anyother avg board member had a wife or girlfriend witness me closing a 4 and mind you not showing it open after the close and then,upon one of the repetuble members asking me maybe to send the gripper to them to see it and me saying oh i lost it.

would you belive said story?????????????

p.s. this is just a debate,like others stated i dont know either way and if is not of huge importance to me anyway but im just throwing something into the disscussion.

p.s.s. in that heath thread,what are those unregisted user comments? who puts those there. very odd they seem????

I could understand him faking the close, after all the free T-SHIRT looks pretty cool...

:calm

T!

im just saying this. if i or anyother avg board member had a wife or girlfriend witness me closing a 4 and mind you not showing it open after the close and then,upon one of the repetuble members asking me maybe to send the gripper to them to see it and me saying oh i lost it.

It's on video though, it's not like his wife just called Dr. Strossen and vouched for Joe.

If Joe really is a slickster and heated the spring, he put a lot of work into this. First his PO Box is in Bean Station, TN. This doesn't exactly sound like a haven for con men. Way to go, Joe, you even have a wholesome sounding address. He came up with revolutionary training methods (these add tremendously to his credability), built his own special grip machine which he called the Secret Weapon, went to the trouble of making himself look very humble and honest in his video, references the bible in his video regarding his food consumption ( a nice touch), shoots a very primitive video so as not to raise suspicion that the video was doctored, and figures out a way to burst cans with pure hand crushing power( how did he doctor these???), and I almost forgot, claims to have peformed 60 severe negatives per workout with a filed #4 (it would take a routine like this to have his type of dominance over the #4) plus whatever he did on the Secret Weapon. If Joe faked it, he's Kaiser Soze' of the Gripworld.

Joe's the real deal and unless he comes out and says he faked it, I doubt I'll ever think differently.

thats a nice write up but imho did not "prove" anything.

i mean,he showed a #4 to heath. ok?

he did not even close a 3 in front of heath.

i understand the man was injured due to such a dedicated quest for the 4? is this correct? but still did not prove anything really.

p.s. this is just a debate,like others stated i dont know either way and if is not of huge importance to me anyway but im just throwing something into the disscussion.

p.s.s. in that heath thread,what are those unregisted user comments? who puts those there. very odd they seem????

There's nothing wrong with questioning things, that's one thing I like about the gripboard, but some of your comments confuse me. Maybe you just missed some of what Heath had written in the other thread.

-Kinney did get one of Heath's #3's to 1/4" and it was one that had half of the bottom of the handle hacked away. Heath said this would have been closed on his other #3's that had the full handle instead of being cut. This is a guy who is injured, in some pain, didn't seem to try very hard according to Heath, and he wasn't training grip at the time. Very impressive if you ask me.

- Heath said it was the same gripper as in the catalog and video. He knows grippers really well so I just take his word on this one. The damaged knurling from grinding is one thing that would make a gripper pretty easy to identify.

I'm not sure where the rumor about Kinney losing his #4 came from. Maybe someone could explain that one further. Does anyone know who asked to see Kinney's #4 and was told it was lost?

umm the #4 is not the hardest gripper in the world.

it is the gripper everyone is gunning for. i don't see a whole shit load of people on the board or anywhere closing it. and if they did say they closed a gripper harder than the four, why aren't they on the ironmind list.

it is the gripper everyone is gunning for. i don't see a whole shit load of people on the board or anywhere closing it. and if they did say they closed a gripper harder than the four, why aren't they on the ironmind list.

i wouldn't say it is the gripper that everyone is gunning for.......most people seem happy with the 3 and move on to other grip feats..... and the guys that are close to the 4, are amazing still doing other grip strength exercises even though you would they would have to specialize. I think most on the board are going for overall hand strength instead of specializing at one thing.

Who knows, maybe as more people get into grip and the sport grows and training routines are honed, there will be many more #4 closers.

Who else can pop a beer can with a pure stranglehold? Everyone else I've seen uses some chest or slams it down on the leg including Brookfield. Anyone of any size who can put a hurt on Heath with a pulsed handshake is freaking strong, at his size it's plain amazing. Joe's the real deal.

I'll go to my grave believing that Joe closed that gripper. Are there legitimate doubters? Sure. But, I'd like to point out that there are people who doubt the moon landing, the round earth, etc.

If you want to disbelieve, you are free to. I am convinced.

well....i see it as this...

the video doesn't show the opening of the gripper.....thats like a 1000lb squat vid that doesn't show the guy coming up........ I want to see the opening of the gripper.

I'm sure the guy is Plenty strong, but you would think he would have done this close in front of a few people...People that have interest in the gripworld.

It really doesn't matter to me whether he did or didn't do it. Just something to talk about and get some opinions on.

I really don't care who does what...doens't affect mylife....just something to talk about to pass the time....

lets talk about the moon landing :D

i wouldn't say it is the gripper that everyone is gunning for.......most people seem happy with the 3 and move on to other grip feats..... and the guys that are close to the 4, are amazing still doing other grip strength exercises even though you would they would have to specialize. I think most on the board are going for overall hand strength instead of specializing at one thing.

Who knows, maybe as more people get into grip and the sport grows and training routines are honed, there will be many more #4 closers.

i don't know about that. i think alot of the people would love to squeeze the number fours, but it is plain hard work to get there. and i think everyone in the grip feats world would love to. but alot of them can't. they know it would help them a great deal with there other feats of handstrength. just ask heath, how much effort and determination it takes to get there. i think it is beyond genetics. look at kinney, hell he couldn't squeeze the number twos when he first got them. and i can. i train hard and i am improving with the number twos. and i will get number threes soon, and that is just playing around. no kta or anything. but if i want to get to the fours, will i will have to have my determination. which i don't know if i have, only time will tell. remember it took kinney 2 years of hard blood and guts training. hell he trained until he bled.

He'd also closed the #3 for reps with 2 fingers, right? I don't doubt the man at all. People have said all manner of things to doubt him. Why? It's been shown that it can be done. In 10 years there will be 30-40 guys or more. Look at how long it was after Sorin closed the #3 until others did it. If you're the first at any strength landmark, you will be doubted. The guy doesn't do paid exhibitions, write articles, do anything for $ outside of a video. If I'd have been making it, I'd have never thought someone would doubt me because I didn't OPEN the gripper.

I have asked Joe Kinney about his video, and he promised that EVERYTHING in the video were true! I'm fully believe him! If you for example are notice his outstanding thenarmuscles on his hand there are no doubt about his feats!

Edited by Arne

Coming up with a squat is the hard part, I think. Closing a gripper is the hardest part I think. So the squat example is bad. As for him closing the gripper infront of people, why Randy didn't fly out I don't know. Depending on who you talk to you get a he said/she said ordeal about offering to come up and witness. That was crazy on all parts by not documenting the feat very well, that is a given. I still have no doubts the man did it.

I thought I remember reading in the "COC what they are and how to close them " that they tested Joe's gripper and it was full strength, that it was not lost.

I thought I remember reading in the "COC what they are and how to close them " that they tested Joe's gripper and it was full strength, that it was not lost.

Here's something to think about....

Just because one can heat treat a gripper and doesn't open all the way, doesn't mean that you can apply more heat to make it go back to its original state...or close to it.

I'm not saying Joe is a con, i just don't understand why the opening of the gripper would not be shown.

But i think that all cert video's should show the full opening of the gripper. If i sent in a video tomorrow of me closing a 4...but not show the opening of the gripper, would you all believe i closed it?

Is joe making money off this .....probably not....does the world outside of grip care that he is the first to close it...hell no, but i would love to be the first person to accomplish a feat like that and i'm sure their are many other people out there who would love to be the "first" at anything.

ishred, it was fully opened before he closed it. and a c.c set dont really describe it right, it was almost a no set i thought.

ishred, it was fully opened before he closed it. and a c.c set dont really describe it right, it was almost a no set i thought.

right dave, but if the coil was heated, it would not open up to its normal width.

right dave, but if the coil was heated, it would not open up to its normal width.

Yes it would and it does...

well, read what clay said...he tried a number 4 that was tampered....felt like a number 2 and it only opened to about 2"

If a person walks the walk I tend to take people on their word in matters of strength. After all its the same as people who lie about their lifts . At the end of the day its all very embarassing when they try and replicate the same lift in front of someone and they cant even move it.

I cant see why someone would "fake it" in the grip world. A heated gripper -Good grief!

Poor bloke-worked his ass off to get the 4-like no other- and people doubt him. What a slap in the face! :trout

Just my 2 cents :cool