Joe Kinney

kelby

just finished watching the joe kinney video. pretty impressive. i like the way he makes his equpment. nothing flashy, he is just himself. greatest respect i have for the guy. one tough s.o.b.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• king crusher

• ishred

• kelby

• tspinillo

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give some insights in what he shows in the video? What does he build, grip, pinch etc...?

Joe talks about his routine, the equipment he uses, and he closes a #4 gripper like a hot knife through butter. Busts beer cans in strangle hold (can anyone else do this?) several times in the video.

It's a must have if you are serious about grip training. Just for the motivation alone of the #4 close. No one. And, I mean no one...had been even close to the crush level he shows in the video.

He's the Bob Beamon (sp?) of crushing strength.

Can you give some insights in what he shows in the video? What does he build, grip, pinch etc...?

Joe states in Ironmind`s COC book, he was never interested in pinching

wide objects. His only interest was in closing heavy grippers. (crush only)

The #4 close is done slowly and deliberately, hydraulic style, and then the handles are ground together back and forth. You have to see it to believe it.

Kinney is impressive. How many men in the world can do a #4 like him? Few if any probably :erm

Kinney is impressive.  How many men in the world  can do a #4 like him?  Few if any probably :erm

Hmm...I think it's more like "none."

Good video to watch for motivation, I agree--but not if you're a sucker for production value. Lots of repetition, focusing on heavy negatives.

He's VERY humble in his presentation.

i heard that the video doesn't show him opening the gripper after he closes is...leading to some rumors....

why didn't he open it in the video?

can anyone post the link to the #4 closes by him so we can all see?

Why don't you order the video? He deserves it.

edit: oh so he doesn't show the opening afterwards on the video? Weird.

Edited by Kalevala

The video isn't online.

can anyone post the link to the #4 closes by him so we can all see?

Why don't you order the video? He deserves it.

edit: oh so he doesn't show the opening afterwards on the video? Weird.

Now, I really don't know what I'm talking about, but I thought I heard on the gripboard (snotts letter maybe?) that he didn't make much money off it, and doesn't make much money off it. Anybody know about this?

used or not used number fours are still the toughest grippers in the world to close. and he closed them easily in from of randall strossen himself. i have no question or doubt about him grinding the 4's. and you should see the way he pops them beers. choking style. question him, and maybe he will choke you and pop your brains out. just kidding. lol. no seriously, you guys should get the video.

I've never heard of him closing it in front of Strossen. His wife and some photographer witnessed the close. Then the #4 he certified on either went missing, was stolen, or something else.

I've never heard of him closing it in front of Strossen.  His wife and some photographer witnessed the close.  Then the #4 he certified on either went missing, was stolen, or something else.

hmmm...the whole thing sounds fishy to me.

I don't know joe's situation, but here's my theory....

Man needs a few bucks......has great hand strength, but decides to make a video of a #4 close...not just any #4 close, slowly closing it and grinding it. video doens't show him opening the gripper after the close. Does he heat the coil to make such and "impressive" close so he can make a few bucks selling a video????

anythings possible.......i haven't seen the video...but it sounds wierd that he doesn't show the opening of the gripper...and then the gripper mysteriously disappears.

no flaming....discussion only.

Joe has probably made countless pennies from the sale of his video. This is why he lives in a small town and chops wood for heat. If you heated the coil to the point that it would not open, the handles would be super hot. The aluminum in the handles would draw the heat from the spring and they would be nearly untouchable, plus he touches the spring in the video placing a quarter on it to show the "fatness test".

Clay and Gorilla Hands have heated grippers before to see how they react. I'm pretty sure that they all opened up after being heated. They may have been weaker but I think they all opened?

How does the way a gripper opens prove anything? Dave Morton just lets them fly open, I let them off slowly. What does it matter?

I'm not trying to incite a riot, but I thought I'd post my observations on how a heat treated gripper spring reacts. It only takes a little bit of heat to permanently weaken a gripper spring, and the outward appearance of the gripper (other than a little scaling on the spring) won't change. Once the handles are cooled, you can pull the handles apart so you have a 4" spread on your #4.

I've tried one tampered #4 that felt like a #2, and when I opened it up the spread remained at around 2". It was easy to grab the handles and spread them open way past 3" though. I don't own this tampered #4, in fact I don't know who has it, but it is very obvious that it was messed with because the knurling was purposely ground away on the handles in most spots

It's unfortunate that the ONE thing we all wanted to see most in that video wasn't documented better, despite the rambling nature of the rest of the video. It certainly would answer a lot of questions! Some guys here like Heath were lucky enough to talk with Joe Kinney and even meet him in person and they wholeheartedly believe that he closed a legitimate #4.

i have never really paid attention to joe kinny or his video or closes...and had never herd of the lost,stolen gripper. lol

id say that is super fishy right there.

and due to clays findings about what happens to a gripper when heated,i think it would at least raise some doubt?

my post wasn't mean to start a riot either........there's only 1 person who knows if that #4 was messed with or not.

Just like people will cert with easier grippers....i would also think people are capable of heating it up to cert to.

Not showing the opening of the gripper raises an eyebrow.

I know some people get upset reading stuff like this, but humans are capable of just about anything.

Joe sounds like a good ole boy to me who trained crush extremely hard.

I'm willing to accept the word of people like Heath who live near him and have met him.

.. neilkaz ..

Joe sounds like a good ole boy to me who trained crush extremely hard.

I'm willing to accept the word of people like Heath who live near him and have met him.

.. neilkaz ..

If heath told me he closed a 4 i would believe him...but just because he met joe, doesn't mean that he KNOWS joe closed the 4....he wasn't a witness.