2005 Southern California Iron Grip Decathlon

Clay Edgin

Kevin Meskew asked me to post this here for anyone interested. It is a Word document that contains all the information for this 10-event contest.

Click here

As you read the events you will probably have some questions, and I've already asked him several so when he gets back to me I will post them here. My questions were:

----Is the plate curl event going to be for most reps with a 25lb, or heaviest plate curl (35lb, 45lb, etc.)?

---"The Block" is the Ironmind pinch block right? I think you mentioned it was about 3" across?

---Apollons Axle lift is double overhand (no mixed grip)?

---Wrist roll is for max weight?

---DL hold for time - is that on a regular bar or the axle? What is the weight going to be? Overhand grip only, right?

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Updates:

The pinch block is the old IM one, which I believe is the 2" model

The plate curl - for reps or for max. If you can't curl a 35lb plate, you can rep out on a 25lb plate. One rep on a heavier plate beats any number of reps on a lighter weight.

Axle deadlift is overhand grip

DL hold for time is with a trap bar. Weight to be determined, but it will be something everyone can deadlift.

The wrist roller event is a timed event. You have to roll 50lbs approximately 36" in the fastest time. This may get changed though.

Kevin is also going to add the IM hub back into the list of events somewhere I think.

Awesome, it will be great to see everyone again. I needs to gets myself a wrist roller!

i think adding the eagle loops would be cool...would make it a complete contest

The event list has been updated on the link above. Check it out. The Trap Bar Deadlift hold for time is going to be 500lbs and will be placed up on blocks so you only have to lift it a couple inches to hold it.

Email warrior01@earthlink.net (Kevin Meskew) for more information.

Edited by ClayEdgin

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased some EAGLE LOOPS so we can make it an unofficial event!!!

Also the WristRoller stands about 6 feet tall, and the pipe being rolled is about 2.5" thick, and the total distance of the roll will be about 5 feet. (about the same height as the overall winner's trophy)

Hope to see you all there!!!!

Kevin

Awesome, it will be great to see everyone again. I needs to gets myself a wrist roller!
i think adding the eagle loops would be cool...would make it a complete contest

A bunch of gripboard guys are gonna be there including Humanmachine, Zpassman, hopefully Bananafingers, Steve B, Yours Truly, Clay, hopefully Porkbone (not sure though) and maybe more!

KICKASS!

ML

Porkbone said he would be there too.

The ass-slapping purple hippo in my avatar may or may not be coming.

Edited by ClayEdgin

On the plate curls is it going to be over a preacher bench or just at your side like a db. curl? sounds like a great contest . . .

It's going to be a strict curl with your butt, shoulders, and head against a wall.

Austin, quit messin around and come out for this contest!

I'm going to try to make it but I'm already scheduled to be in Utah climbing that weekend. My chances are low but if the weather is poor I'll be at the comp for sure.

Mike M.

Who all will be competing. I think it woiuld be cool to see who you will be up against.

I weigh about 194 so I plan on competing in the 175 - 198 class

Jeff B

I am going to be there. I have sent my money in. I signed up for both the youngster and geezer divisions.

I have an AARP card, am 6 ft 1 inch, weigh 220 pounds, and have lost 30 pounds in the last 5 months. I cannot bend a white nail, and my lifefime best bench press was 200 pounds in 1973.

Hubgeezer

Hub Geezer are you telling the truth?

You hang out with Clay sometimes and there's a reason why you call yourself"hub"geezer.I here your hub lifting abilities are very good.

Yes i will be in this grip contest in the geezer division.From one geezer to another good luck i'll see you there.

Who all will be competing. I think it woiuld be cool to see who you will be up against.

I weigh about 194 so I plan on competing in the 175 - 198 class

Jeff B

Clay and I are both entered in the 175-198 class, too.

Zach forgot to mention that we are only in this division because there is no women's division.

My attendance at this comp is up in the air. I probably won't know what I'm doing until the day before when I'm either driving south or sitting home.

My attendance at this comp is up in the air.  I probably won't know what I'm doing until the day before when I'm either driving south or sitting home.

You are kidding, right? If not, anything I or any of the rest of us can do to help?

Hubgeezer

Unless you guys can manipulate the calendar to give me a few extra weeks here in California, then I think I'm on my own ;)

NorCal strongest man is on 4/9 and the promoters are having event practice every Sunday at the venue. Easter weekend they are moving the practice day to Saturday so people can be with their families on Easter, or some nonsense like that. My daughter is not going to be in town for Easter this year so we're doing it this coming Sunday which means I'll miss that practice. No big deal - hiding eggs from a 2 year old is a lot more fun and safer than getting beaten with an 1,100lb tire. If I miss this Sunday and the following Saturday (26th) I'll have only one practice day left until the real thing. I think I have a shot at winning NorCal if I really apply myself, and that means getting some time on the implements.

BUT, the grip contest will be the last chance I have to see the guys I've made friends with over the past couple of years who live in California before I move. I've flip flopped on the matter a lot over the last week so I'm not saying I'm definitely not going, and I'm not saying I'm definitely going. A lot depends on how overwhelmed I am with the move to New Mexico at that point.

Hey Clay i thought Kevin was giving a cash award for the best R.T.pull.I could be wrong though.You know your always welcome to hang here to save a few bucks but i understand about the strongman training you can't make up those workouts.

HEY JERKS, the contest is Saturday! Get your butts out there!