By my post yesterday I was not implying that

SHRUG has a mediocre grip.

The point I wanted to make is it would take a

very strong grip to hold those huge poundages

for any length of time without straps.

To hold 1000 pounds double overhand grip

without straps for any length of time and do

shrugs for reps is simple amazing!

That would take true gorilla-like strength.

In double overhand grip without straps it

would be easier for the bar to slip out.

Does SHRUG hold the bar continuously for the whole set?

Does he set the bar down briefly between

each consecutive rep?

Does he use straps?

Does he use a double overhand grip?

Just a few unanswered questions. ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eli72

• Bill Piche

• SHRUG

• Bearcat 74

What I am doing is a power shrug as I am moving the bar very fast like you described. And also, doing them this way has made my upper back, traps, and neck much stronger and much bigger. When I started doing them at age 14 I could only do 405lbs, I can now do in excess of 1000lbs for sets and I continue to get stronger. By the way I do all kinds of shrugs and I use different styles. I do power shrugs, bodybuilding shrugs, farmers shrugs, and many other variations that I got from a book that I own that is entirely devoted to shrugging to get stronger on other lifts. I do move the bar very fast as you will see by the video, probably about 1.5 reps per second or so. As far as all the haters getting on my case about this I am getting real sick and tired of it. I don't have time to film every workout and keep defending myself for something that occurs in my regular training several times a week. I am done discussing the subject as I need to get back to the business of my training and do not have time to come on the board much at all let alone talk about something that I don't even think is a big deal. Yes, I enjoy shrugging a lot and I love it when I make gains on this lift as it is a favorite gym lift of mine but I do it mainly to get stronger for other lifts and events. Talk to you guys in a couple of months, I will update my training log when I get time but other than that I am gonna be real busy training. In the mean time if you got a problem believing something I am doing give me a call and we can set up a time to train together and you can witness it first hand. I think my phone number is in my profile and if not PM me and I will get it through my email and send it to you that way. Later, I got work to do.

I do move the bar very fast as you will see by the video, probably about 1.5 reps per second or so.

Shrug,

Is the video posted?

Good luck!

T

Nice job...clearly closed it....video is very tiny though!!

Congrats!!

Start a new thread..you have bragging rights!!

Edited by pdoire

Well shrug you contridicted your self from the first post about your shrugs but on to the real question; w/all these huge #'s what is your clean and snatch #'s ?cause if you're explosive w/"excess of 1000lbs" you should be cleaning near WR #'s

Eli

wow now this is a debate. and a good one. hope it dosent get closed.

shrug said he was sending a video so if he does indeed do what he is saying all you non-belivers will have to eat a few large helpings of crow.

i will say,from my experiance,if a guy loves to train one type of lift you can get very very good at that one thing(shrugs in this case).

i am anxiously awaiting the video. as it sounds like a good show of power. shrug your traps and upper back must be huge?

Shrug - is the book you have on shrugs the one by Kelso?

my personal opinion is that people should be able to post whatever they want; if you are posting crazy stuff and no one knows who you are, then people will be skepitcal until they see vids or until credible people say they have seen you do it. I personally always get a vid of a big PR feat anyway, just so I'll have it.

If it is not in competition or for a certification process or something, informing people of your lifts is only good for self gratification and bragging rights anyway--it's not like we are going to credit someone with a world record deadlift or something just because they say they can do it on the Internet.

If someone is clearly a troll and posting crazy stuff, then just shut them down. Most real members would not make stuff up--and if they do, that is sad.

Sending video in tomorrow now that the post office is open again.

what about those clean&Jerk and snatch #'s? :shifty

just because someone shrugs alot of weight does not mean he is a monster in the clean and jerk or snatch.

if you dont train that you wont be fantasic at it,even if your good at other things.

If one can explosivley rep 1000+lbs, one should be able to clean 45%(450lbs) :yikes

Eli

Edited by Eli72

If one can explosivley rep 1000+lbs, one should be able to clean 45%(450lbs) :yikes

Eli

I'd be interested to see where you got this number (45%).

Probably the same source that stated how exactly 67.38472 of statistics are made up on the spot. :whistel

I'm with Eli, if you can do explosive shrugs with 1000lbs, or a set of 60 with 500lbs explosively, then factor in the 910 SQ 500x20 SQ and 465x20x3 SQ, I would think the person would be power cleaning a minimum 400lbs. 450-500 would sound more like it.

I got 45% from my own reasoning lets say I shrug 500, explosively, for reps if I can only clean 50% of that that's only 250lbs. So I was being more than generous at 45%

Thanks bearcat

I also was wondering what a SQ max would be for someone who can do 500x20RAW would be, is it the 910RAW?

Eli

I got 45% from my own reasoning lets say I shrug 500, explosively, for reps if I can only clean 50% of that that's only 250lbs. So I was being more than generous at 45%

Thanks bearcat

I also was wondering what a SQ max would be for someone who can do 500x20RAW would be, is it the 910RAW?

Eli

Don't know, but I have heard quite a few say the 910 SQ max for Shrug. The 505x20 and 465x20x2 are in MILO. I'm sure they are all RAW lifts.

Ihave to see these feats :erm

I vote for a rack at the NOS for a squat and shrug exhibition :rock

James Smith

I think Eli's estimate may even be a bit conservative. I do power shrugs w/500 for sets of 6-8 and can power clean about 350.

he said he does them to gain strength in other lifts so I assume that the other lifts would include at least 1 athletic/explosive lift

even if he didn't clean or snatch with those HUGE #'s he should be able to grab a olympic bar w/400lbs and clean it

what i would like to know is what he can deadlift :blink