World Class Feats

Bill Piche

I am sure that many of us like myself, choose to believe what we want to, proof or no proof. I have long since stopped challenging things that I doubt. :calm

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eli72

• Bill Piche

• SHRUG

• Bearcat 74

i've been on boards where you get 16yr old kids saying they bench 500 and really stupid numbers like that. i'm on those type of boards for a week....then it gets old.

If you're talking about irontrybe and jeremy he has videos of his benching, though he might have been 15 at the time.

Edited by DrPepper

I'm looking forward to that video.

me too...i've seen people shrug about 500-600....i wanna see 1000....i don't care who it is.

I've seen a girl do shrugs with 500# on a straight bar,she weighed a buck sixty five.....why wouldn't a 280lb male, named SHRUG (who seems to have some 'favorable genetics')be able to get 60 reps with a weight that a girl can do? :D

I know a LOT of you guys have been around and visited hard core gyms...but some of you guys need to get out of your basements and visit a few places.

This is soo sooo true, I watched a 43yr old man shrug w/ no straps over 600

A shrug ain't nothing if the bar isn't moving VERY fast, BB shrugs are :laugh

Yea,

That's what I was trying to say. I respect Jedd's opinion and he had a good point. But I don't have "tech stuff" set up in my gym. I have hit some big numbers in some things latey and I wanna talk about it. But the hassle of having video's in the gym and setting them up, and having someone to take the pictures all the time....I mean, I'll just keep it to myself before I go through all that. This is supposed to be fun, guys. It's not supposed to be a chore.

Dave...

Yea,

That's what I was trying to say.  I respect Jedd's opinion and he had a good point.  But I don't have "tech stuff" set up in my gym.  I have hit some big numbers in some things latey and I wanna talk about it.  But the hassle of having video's in the gym and setting them up, and having someone to take the pictures all the time....I mean, I'll just keep it to myself before I go through all that.  This is supposed to be fun, guys.  It's not supposed to be a chore.

Dave...

If they are no-grip related, there's nothing from you mentioning them in the off topic (since off topic is for non-grip posts anyway) or a training log. If they are grip related, they would have to be "out there" for a post to get locked anyway. World Class typically means a top feat no one has done yet in many instances. And, as someone pointed out, it's hard sometimes to know whether something is world class.

Ok, Thanks, Bill.

Dave...

Everything we do on this board is "World Class"...What's the fuss!! :D

I've seen a girl do shrugs with 500# on a straight bar,she weighed a buck sixty five.....why wouldn't a 280lb male, named SHRUG (who seems to have some 'favorable genetics')be able to get 60 reps with a weight that a girl can do? 

I know a LOT of you guys have been around and visited hard core gyms...but some of you guys need to get out of your basements and visit a few places.

Obviously, that is directed at me.

I don't care how much anybody weighs, I don't believe that Shrug is doing "shrugs" for 60 reps. Just because the bar is even moving toward the sky does not mean it was a shrug.

I can stand with 500 pounds on a bar with straps on my hands and make the bar move upwards with the power of my entire body for 60 reps. That does not mean I am doing shrugs.

Again...unless someone is claiming a world RECORD bench press,squat,deadlift,snatch,C&Jerk...then who cares.

Shrug claims amazing feats and never ever backs it up with a video. Never. That is why I care. There are endless world records for lifts. It doesn't have to be a PL or an OL to be a world record lift. that is how I see it.

What IS world class anyway?

One mans world class is another mans training lifts.

Explain. You mean just because Reza Zadeh consistently C&J's 550 plus in training that it is not a world class lift??? Please explain.

Shrug is strong. I respect him a lot.

However, I would respect him more if he would provide video of his claims. Period.

-Jedd-

I just think some people have better things to do than put their workouts on the internet. Before I had a digital camera, I would have never taken the time. And most definitely I would have never bought a camera jsut to post shit on the web.

And really, even if it is a world class competitive lift, big claims don't usually rile me up cause it only counts on the platform anyways.

Speaking of world class, is a red nail bend world class anymore? Seems like it is going down as easy as the 3 nowadays.

I do not use my entire body to make the bar move upwards, I know that would not be considered a shrug. I get no bounce out of my legs or torso or any other bodypart at all it is simply my traps moving the bar. I do not pause the bar at the top because there is so much weight on and the bar is bending so much that if I do pause with around 1000lbs and I have that the bar starts to shake out of contro from the bar bowing up and down, I have discussed this with several guys in the chat and they said that what I have described is perfect shrug for as long as I am not bouncing the weight which I am not. I do not use my entire body to move the bar and say it is a shrug that would be stupid and I would not even do it, I have had several people watching my form over the past week and they said it looked very good, no leg bounce at all. My goal is to get stronger on all of the lifts I do not to post false claims to get a reaction, that would not help my training. I want to get as big and as strong as is humanly possible, I train for me and I am certainly not gonna lie to myself or anyone else.

I've seen a girl do shrugs with 500# on a straight bar,she weighed a buck sixty five.....why wouldn't a 280lb male, named SHRUG (who seems to have some 'favorable genetics')be able to get 60 reps with a weight that a girl can do? 

Obviously, that is directed at me.

I don't care how much anybody weighs, I don't believe that Shrug is doing "shrugs" for 60 reps. Just because the bar is even moving toward the sky does not mean it was a shrug.

I can stand with 500 pounds on a bar with straps on my hands and make the bar move upwards with the power of my entire body for 60 reps. That does not mean I am doing shrugs.

Again...unless someone is claiming a world RECORD bench press,squat,deadlift,snatch,C&Jerk...then who cares.
Shrug claims amazing feats and never ever backs it up with a video. Never. That is why I care. There are endless world records for lifts. It doesn't have to be a PL or an OL to be a world record lift. that is how I see it.
What IS world class anyway?

One mans world class is another mans training lifts.

Explain. You mean just because Reza Zadeh consistently C&J's 550 plus in training that it is not a world class lift??? Please explain.

Shrug is strong. I respect him a lot.

However, I would respect him more if he would provide video of his claims. Period.

-Jedd-

Actually I wasn't directing it at anybody but to IMHO 500# Shrugs just aren't any big deal.

Also training lifts are just that...training lifts and -for me-are just fun reports and like someone else said doesn't matter unless on the platform or IN a strongman contest.

I LOVE hearing about it...and IF I'm being deceivedbya lifters claim?well I guess... shame on him or her.But still.....it's not like any of these lifts REALLY, IMHO matter.

I respect how you feel about it though.

You guys are more computer/video/techno oriented than I am.

One mans training is one mans world class?

The board seems to have a varying opinion on World class.Even on grip feats(and this is the Grip board)we can't agree.IS a red still world class...is an INCH deadlift world class strength test?is a 220lb Rolling Thunder world class?We can't even agree.

Well for some folks they work there entire life to pick up the INCH or close a #3 or whatever.To them,perhaps,THAT is world class.

Others have done these feats without ANY training...shrugged and said "whats the big deal?"

For other lifts?(non grip lifts)that DON'T have a judged criteria?What is a world class cheat curl or hammer Curl.Some might go on and on about someone doing (world class) Dumbell hammer curls with 100#....someone else might be less impressed. Log clean?Farmers walk?Skull crushers?Seated Dumbell press?

What IS world class?Seated barbell press?

Some might 'think'they are doing something world class....there friends might...someone else might think those same poundages are warm ups?

hey and no disrespect intended...it is open to interpretation?

Back to SHRUGS shrugs :laugh I've seen bodybuilders do high reps with 500+ and the girl?did a nice slow set stripped off a plate per side and kept going.

It's not a recognized 'lift'and form may vary.What is a strict shrug(that the judges will pass :upsidedwn )?There isn't one.

Ditto a a lot of training lifts.Like someone else said about Colemans laterals.

again...sorry for the ramble..

:yikes another ambiguous post from me....on a topic that is at best ambiguous and perhaps uncertain topic :cool

Tom, I respect what you're saying, but I think the reason there is doubt about Shrug's claims is because he said he did a heavy shrug and back workout one day, then came back and did hundreds of reps with hundreds of pounds the next day. Maybe I'm just weak, but if I work out real hard one day there is no way I'm going back into the gym the next day to shrug 500lbs to failure, and then go on to do other stuff. I need time to recover. A simple 500lb shrug is not world class, but doing 60 legit reps wtih 500lbs the day after a heavy workout raises a big red flag.

Until a definition of world class is clearly given..this issue will continue to prevail.

As the Gripboard..some thought should go into defining grip feats..as to avoid it at least on grip issues.

As to the other "feats" these are simply going to continue period..people will say what they did...no proof required...if you think your claim may be doubted, than simply provide video. As to the people reading these posts, if they don't like them they should not read them . It is not the fault of the poster if no rule is in place to the contrary.

I understand that my training methods on upper back and traps my be far form the norm but I have conditioned my body to train extremely heavy one day and the very next day I always follow up with light weight sets and then a 500lb set to failure. You will always see this in my log done this exact way I assure you. I started doing them years ago and it works very well for my upper back and trap development. Sure I make minor changes and try new things that I work into my routine but the basic format always stays the same. Do I train every body part this way, NO but I am trying to condition myself so I can because it seems to work well for me. I love volume with heavy weight and super volume with light weight. That is just the way I train and it seems to be working very well for me once I am adapted to it like I am on upper back and traps.

Tom, I respect what you're saying, but I think the reason there is doubt about Shrug's claims is because he said he did a heavy shrug and back workout one day, then came back and did hundreds of reps with hundreds of pounds the next day.  Maybe I'm just weak, but if I work out real hard one day there is no way I'm going back into the gym the next day to shrug 500lbs to failure, and then go on to do other stuff.  I need time to recover.  A simple 500lb shrug is not world class, but doing 60 legit reps wtih 500lbs the day after a heavy workout raises a big red flag.

OK.I think I might have missed the timeline of the reported lifts?

I didn't follow the fact that they were back to back....

having said that I DON'T recover that fast either(and OBVIOUSLY you aren't weak)

My workouts???-though they can change up mid-stream(during the work out)have to be timed just right-and for me to recover.I have to be careful how and when I train EACH bodypart...BUT I've seen guys that do recover very fast.Thrive on

volume.Overlapping body parts.Hitting same body part twice or three times in 7 days.....crazy stuff...AND Grow and improve strength on such workouts.

I get the impression SHRUG has some good recuperative power..favorable genetics...a freak.maybe?i'm wrong.

Bottom line....hopefully we'll see the video soon.....for me? the entertainment value...for others(and I 'm not being critical of those that need proof)it will be the proof they require.

One last thing to consider.On a Grip Forum...with the some of the best/strongest hands and wrists in the world...grip experts,grip phenoms,contest promoters,certified trainers,old school trainees,new age trainees,strongmen,performers, etc. WE can't even decide on what is world class for a grip feat(or we all have varying ideas).

How could WE expect to decide whats world class... in other areas of strength and power? :whistel if we can't decide whats world class in the 'specialty'of the forum. :whacked:whacked

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Heavy shrugs without straps are a grip event.

Are the claims made for shrugs with or without

straps? Double overhand grip and no straps?

500-1000 pounds for reps would take someone

with very strong hands. :yikes

With a mediocre grip, it would be a challenge even

for someone to hold a 500+ deadlift with a double

overhand grip.

In some cases it would be helpful to have a little more

information when truly amazing events are claimed.

It is great when gripsters share their stories, info. on

PRs, attempts made or future goals. This is a part of

what makes the gripboard interesting, encouraging

and inspiring.

500-1000 pounds for reps would take someone

with very strong hands. :yikes

With a mediocre grip,  it would be a challenge even

for someone to hold a 500+ deadlift with a double

overhand grip.

Shrug has some very powerful hands...far from mediocre.

He is a Coc AND Red Nail Bender..not weak handed by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by pdoire

Filmed myself doing a shrug workout this morning, gonna send the tape in to Bill as soon as my post office is open again.

Paul,

It becomes hard to figure out just what is world class. Take bending for example. Things are happening pretty fast there right now.

An example, if someone does a 45lb blob with a finger and thumb, is that world class? Who knows? :help

Maybe they are the first to try it?

See what I mean?

That's why it I think it needs to be handled on a case by case basis for grip. You'll note not too many posts do get locked because it is often hard to judge.

What used to be world class, is now yesterdays news. Case in point: The #3 gripper. This used to be touted as something "out there". It's not IMO.

I do not use my entire body to make the bar move upwards, I know that would not be considered a shrug. I get no bounce out of my legs or torso or any other bodypart at all it is simply my traps moving the bar. I do not pause the bar at the top because there is so much weight on and the bar is bending so much that if I do pause with around 1000lbs and I have that the bar starts to shake out of contro from the bar bowing up and down, I have discussed this with several guys in the chat and they said that what I have described is perfect shrug for as long as I am not bouncing the weight which I am not. I do not use my entire body to move the bar and say it is a shrug that would be stupid and I would not even do it, I have had several people watching my form over the past week and they said it looked very good, no leg bounce at all. My goal is to get stronger on all of the lifts I do not to post false claims to get a reaction, that would not help my training. I want to get as big and as strong as is humanly possible, I train for me and I am certainly not gonna lie to myself or anyone else.

I consider what you described as a body builder shrug, and IMO they're a joke if you want to get stronger and more explosive. When I do shrugs I move the bar as fast as humanly possible, and yes I dip because I've never seen anybody clean or snatch standing straight up :whacked . I introduced my friend who used to do shrugs like you described and he couldn't believe how much more he benifited from power shrugs, and how much harder they were than the BB shrugsn he was used to.

As for shrugging w/out straps, there is something very wrong if your hands/grip is stronger than your hips and back

Although I'm new to the board, and don't hold much weight here, I do agree, to a degree, with just about every post so far. It definitely sucks that there has to be video proof of some tool saying he does his last set of BPs with 405 for 15-20.

But, unfortunately, that's the case due to dishonesty and trying to impress the masses. Just shut up and lift, or grip or bend or whatever the hell you do. This message board exists because everybody here, myself included, loves to train, train some more, read about people training to train better, etc. etc. It's all about bettering yourself, seriously. Take 1 thing out of a totally useless B.S. post, and put it to use in one way or another and it then becomes not so useless, but helpful.

I've been training again pretty hard after a motorcycle accident, and among other lifts, and am back up to inclining 160lb dumbells for 6reps (a PR by the way). A few cats in the gym I go to, do that for they're second set. I'd love to post video of me doing them, not to show off, but because I'd love some feedback on form, how to improve, etc.

My .02

We have 72 posts about shrugging? Well, shrug is his name and I don't do them so I would have to say...............is 1000 good?

Paul,

It becomes hard to figure out just what is world class. Take bending for example. Things are happening pretty fast there right now.

An example, if someone does a 45lb blob with a finger and thumb, is that world class? Who knows?  :help

Maybe they are the first to try it?

See what I mean?

That's why it I think it needs to be handled on a case by case basis for grip. You'll note not too many posts do get locked because it is often hard to judge.

What used to be world class, is now yesterdays news. Case in point: The #3 gripper. This used to be touted as something "out there".  It's not IMO.

Bill,

We have discussed this before. I think we need not get caught up in "world class"

terminology, the thing is we need to draw some kind of line in the sand however.

Above such and such standard..video will be required. Pick a really tough standard,

as the standard is starting to become commonplace...raise the bar as you see fit.

Because people are going to get stronger and train smarter doesn't eliminate the need for such a standard. Remember this is for video proof...not really for "world class" feats..it would be nice if they coincided, but if too much time is taken trying to define "world class" no standard will ever be set.

Above performance level "X" requires video...need not get too caught up in the latest world class definition...IMHO

We have 72 posts about shrugging? Well, shrug is his name and I don't do them so I would have to say...............is 1000 good?

well if you can find thinner weights that fit on the bar to reach 1000 lb it will take 2 100lb plates plus sixteen 45lb plates and thats 965 lb and a couple extras to reach that but just load a bar to that weight and break it off the rack and youll see that its a good feat of strength :D