World Class Feats

Bill Piche

Actually I think you offered if anyone was interested and I said I was. :)

I also think some practical judgement needs to be made. I think we are doing a decent job.

On non-grip lifts, I don't normally pay attention much because this is the gripboard.

If I posted I just benched 500 for 10 reps, I would know guys would be laughing. :D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eli72

• Bill Piche

• SHRUG

• Bearcat 74

Wanna - it seems like things aren't that out of hand to me. Sure, there's some big lifts being reported, but most of it is probably true, I think. And like someone said, it will all come out someday. With more guys meeting and training together - and doing contests or get togethers, with more pictures and more video, it gets things fairly out in the open who can really do what and who can't. I for one like seeing the (PR) sign show up in a workout log - whether it's world class or not. I probably enjoy the new guys most of all, and if they blow a little smoke now and then, I can live with it while they grow into theirselves.

Wanna - it seems like things aren't that out of hand to me.  Sure, there's some big lifts being reported, but most of it is probably true, I think.  And like someone said, it will all come out someday.  With more guys meeting and training together - and doing contests or get togethers, with more pictures and more video, it gets things fairly out in the open who can really do what and who can't.  I for one like seeing the (PR) sign show up in a workout log - whether it's world class or not.  I probably enjoy the new guys most of all, and if they blow a little smoke now and then, I can live with it while they grow into theirselves.

I like your take on it, Climber.

Sixgun

I here were your comeing from,sadly a mans word is no longer good enough,unless video is provided or you are one of the big guns here on the board. I once went to see the Holle brothers to get them to bend some challenge bars on video,when i arrived they were not happy about being video taped,so being a friend and respecting there wishes,i along with chris james watched them bend.

When i came home and spoke about my day at the Holles with other people and the gripboard,i know i was and still am the but of a bullshit story and yes some of those people who i thought were my friends...well :calm

Like things in life most people are happy to take when you got something to offer, then when you got nothing left to offer.were are they :calm

Sadly we are all to some degree labelled as bull shitters,unless we provide proof or have someone here on the gboard who knows or can verify are claims,but if like some of us you train alone,are not in the top gripsters or do not provide video, tough... :calm

The whole reason it was brought up by me again is someone used the "Report Post to Moderator" button to point out the rule and it was on a NON grip related lift they were reporting.

Well, I think people who make world-class claims on any lift but provide no video, even when invited to have their footage produced into a Diesel Crew Production, but do not take the opportunity are saying that the feat really didn't happen.

It's about honor, I guess. Something I feel very strongly about. I don't lie about lifts or feats, in fact i post video of my failures. I try not to be a "Do as I say, not as I do guy," because I think that's bull. I guess I expect really strong individuals to have the same values.

For that reason, I would totally be willing to uphold a worlds-class rule on non-grip feats. But I can see where wannagrip is coming from, that it would be a consuming process. I would never have the time or the interest in going through all of the logs.

I vote with not establishing the rule for simplicity's sake. Just try and have some honor and integrity, guys.

-Jedd-

The reason the video rule was put in to begin with was so the flame wars would stop when someone would claim something, if I'm not mistaken? People were getting mad, their feelings were getting hurt, etc etc. A rule was made where all grip claims that were world class had to be backed up by video by ALL members.

Gazza, who is one of the big guns on the board that has not had a post locked that has claimed something?

Maybe it was in the Blogs?

Personal blogs are not covered by the rule. I mean now we would have to patrol the personal blogs and lock those? :blink Sorry, but I have better things to do and I am sure so do the other mods. :cool

I think the people who have been on the board a while have a pretty general idea of where alot of the members stand in terms of ability and can just use common sense and good judgement in whats claims are believable and what claims are just BS. Sometimes just the way a member posts or interacts w/ other forum members can tell you alot about them. If you look back in the workout logs most of them have a pretty natural realistic progression.

Video will be posted of all my big lifts from now on wether they are successful or not, read Jedd's post and liked the idea. By the way I will be shooting video of myself going through an entire shrug workout early saturday morning and sending it off to a good friend to have it posted, I assure you that you guys will like the footage.

I'm looking forward to that video.

Personally I think that rule should mostly be for people who do not have a good reputation, or no reputation with gripboard. The only exception is something like a 4 close or a 5.0" FBBC bend which is so difficult only a handful of guys can do.

The reason is that some people, like myself, cannot get a video. I do not have a webcam, digital camera, nor do I have a video camera. But, like most, if it was really important I could get a video of something by going to another members house.

But, as stated above, if it is such a remarkable feat I think the members could get a video. Partially as proof (especially if two or three guys are racing towards a goal), but also as entertainment for current memebers. Making someone take a vid of a 3 close or bending a red is a bit overdoing it.

I think that video is great but not for training logs. When I train I don't have a video camera and occasionally I have a digital camera, so I think it would be unfair that anything you post must have video proof. The only time I get video is at the get togethers we've been having. I know there are some people that lie about their #'s but you know who they are, and you also know who doesn't lie

My last set for bench last week was 440x2 and my last set of squat was 526x2 and if you don't beleive it too bad, Because if my word isn't good enough here I guess I'm on the wrong board

some people don't have the resources to tape every little thing they do.

There's my opinion

I think that video is great but not for training logs. When I train I don't have a video camera and occasionally I have a digital camera, so I think it would be unfair that anything you post must have video proof. The only time I get video is at the get togethers we've been having. I know there are some people that lie about their #'s but you know who they are, and you also know who doesn't lie

My last set for bench last week was 440x2 and my last set of squat was 526x2 and if you don't beleive it too bad, Because if my word isn't good enough here I guess I'm on the wrong board

some people don't have the resources to tape every little thing they do.

There's my opinion

I'm thinking on the same lines.

T!

Personally I think that rule should mostly be for people who do not have a good reputation, or no reputation with gripboard.  The only exception is something like a 4 close or a 5.0" FBBC bend which is so difficult only a handful of guys can do. 

That would be a hard distinction to make. People would also whine because their word is just as good as so and so's. Just hold everyone to the same standard with grip lifts and be done with it.

Eli, I agree with what you are saying.

Maybe it was in the Blogs?

I honestly think this may refer to my blog or possibly Clay's.

I started writing what me and my friends are doing in order to inspire or motivate both ourselves, and our friends. I was asked to do this by someone I greatly respect and admire. I try to make it funny and readable so that you get a context of where we are coming from. I do this for fun, I do it with my friends. I can't tell you how many people have come and asked one of us to help them and we take great pride in the fact that we help anyone, anytime. There is no greater reward for the hard work we do than to see someone else kick a major PR out and say that they were able to do it in some small way because of your help.

Nothing that is written is ever done alone. I can see how this can spiral out of control. The biggest things we do are never in the BLOG, I dont write them down. I have asked people who visit with us and watch what we do not to talk about certain things.

One thing I would like to point out about the video rule. Not everyone is comfortable with making a video of themself. I would be horrified to see my self on video on the internet. It is a phobia, laugh at me if you like. I put a picture of myself in my gallery and was terrified. I think about deleting it almost everyday. I did it to try an overcome a stupid fear of mine. Does it make me pathetic, probably. But I would rather not talk about something than make a video. I asked IronMind not to have a picture of me on my Red Certification in Milo and would have allowed them to disqualify me if that was a sticking point. I am embarrased that I actually am admitting this in public.

One thing I would like to point out about the video rule.  Not everyone is comfortable with making a video of themself.  I would be horrified to see my self on video on the internet.  It is a phobia, laugh at me if you like.  I put a picture of myself in my gallery and was terrified.  I think about deleting it almost everyday.  I did it to try an overcome a stupid fear of mine.  Does it make me pathetic, probably.  But I would rather not talk about something than make a video.  I asked IronMind not to have a picture of me on my Red Certification in Milo and would have allowed them to disqualify me if that was a sticking point.  I am embarrased that I actually am admitting this in public.

Why on earth are you embarrased? You are just a shy person. You train because you want to be stronger, not because you want social recognition. We need more intrinsically motivated people. Like Jedd, you are a "do as you do" person not "do as you say."

I personally am not dying to get certs or get video's of myself on the internet, just as long as I know I did it I am happy. I train for myself, not others.

me too...i've seen people shrug about 500-600....i wanna see 1000....i don't care who it is.

I've seen a girl do shrugs with 500# on a straight bar,she weighed a buck sixty five.....why wouldn't a 280lb male, named SHRUG (who seems to have some 'favorable genetics')be able to get 60 reps with a weight that a girl can do? :D

I know a LOT of you guys have been around and visited hard core gyms...but some of you guys need to get out of your basements and visit a few places.

Also I can assure you ,like Gamidon said ...some people do NOT want to be video taped or photographed.Catch em on a good day...and you might get some photos but some people just do not care what others think.

Again...unless someone is claiming a world RECORD bench press,squat,deadlift,snatch,C&Jerk...then who cares.

What IS world class anyway?

One mans world class is another mans training lifts.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

[Why on earth are you embarrased?

He has a legitimate concern. If someone were a member of both the Gripboard and www.donkeypunchersinleatherforhire.com, then they would know the true identity of Gimp #9. :yikes:laugh Nah, everybody's got their thing and Greg is a private individual. I'd hate to see his openness stifled on account of "The Rule". To be completely honest, I don't think we know what is actually "world class" on short bar bending yet. Basically we've got a good idea of who the handful of people are who are on top of the pile at this point, but that's about it. It's too niche to determine what's world class or not. There's too many people NOT doing it.

me too...i've seen people shrug about 500-600....i wanna see 1000....i don't care who it is.

I know a LOT of you guys have been around and visited hard core gyms...but some of you guys need to get out of your basements and visit a few places.

Ishred,

this wasn't directed at you.

I just used your post to get back on the topic of SHRUGS errrrahhhh shrugs.

i've been on boards where you get 16yr old kids saying they bench 500 and really stupid numbers like that. i'm on those type of boards for a week....then it gets old.

Most people on this board know each other through gettogethers, contests, etc. From what i've seen, there aren't really too many outragous claims on this board...in fact, i haven't seen any. Example...Shrug's workouts sound sick, but people on this board (who have great reputations) know him and know what he is capable off. Aside from that, i haven't seen anything on this board that would make someone's BS detector go off. 300-400lb benching is common, so are 500-700lb deadlifts. There are a bunch of guys my local shithole gym that i've seen do that kind of weight. i've done sick amounts of weight on seated, standing, donkey calf raise machines....i won't say what i can do because i've had the strongest guys in my gym look at me when i do it, some of you might doubt it.

If someone on this board is doing crazy stuff....i just want to see video for the entertainment value...not because i doubt them.

if you can get video...great....it entertains us.

plugged it in,came up Can't find www.donkeypunchersinleatherforhire.com.

Whats with the bogus link?Some sort of a practical joke? :dry

:laugh

plugged it in,came up Can't find www.donkeypunchersinleatherforhire.com.

Whats with the bogus link?Some sort of a practical joke? :dry

My host was having some DNS difficulties on it's Apache server. It should be up now. :yikes

No one has asked anyone to tape everything they do. The rule remains today for GRIP only and covers posts in the main forums, period (not blogs, etc). There's never been such a rule as has been alluded to by some in posts. And, it should not matter who is making the world class claim - reputation should not matter. As Heath points out, then people would complain about one person getting favored etc.