World Class Feats

Bill Piche

This forum is named the GripBoard. It’s purpose is to discuss grip training. The world class rule is currently intended for grip feats only. So, if someone posts something that appears to be world class to you (it can be very subjective from person to person) on OTHER lifts, then take it for what’s it worth. Are we going to get into policing every single lift someone might mention on these forums? I certainly don't want to have to do that and read every workout log that are supposed to be GRIP related anyway.

Or, we can easily make a new rule that training logs are ONLY for Grip and no other lifts can be mentioned in the logs. Or that only grip training can be discussed in posts (this affects Off-topic mostly). I don’t think that’s the direction the members would want? I’d like to hear people’s thoughts on this.

Also, if we are going to police every lift that might be mentioned outside of grip, then I will have to recruit more volunteers to moderate this particular aspect.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eli72

• Bill Piche

• SHRUG

• Bearcat 74

Wanna,

I think it's nice to see what other kinds of lifting the grippers and benders do here and see what thier into and how strong they are.Most lifting has some kind of grip aspect to it even if it may be an indirect part of the lift.

Total body strength affects grip strength. The stronger you are overall to me, has an influence. I have learned some good things about non-grip lifts from the board. I think the logs should be open to all reports as long as they have grip in them. I honestly just look past whatever weights are used in the non-grip lifts. Some people post logs on here to keep up with themselves, other people post logs so people can keep up with them. Personally, I don't even bother to read the latter groups logs.

I honestly just look past whatever weights are used in the non-grip lifts. 

Me too.

I honestly just look past whatever weights are used in the non-grip lifts. 

Me too.

I do not pay attention to specific weight training or lifting movements

either. The forum title lends itself to wide open posting of lifts the members

train on. Which is fine, however, I prefer to see more succinct posts of

grip specific training and ideas members may have and use. Being the

"GripBoard", I feel it should be majorally kept with what we are all about.

If a member posts his other than grip training, there is no need to flame

the member on the open board. At least do it privately and with some

manner of decorum.

To keep it smooth, I say make it "Grip" specific posts

I think as you mentioned, it should only be policed for grip-related records. Other lifts are neither here nor there. Really, does it make a difference in anyone's life whether or not I can DL 800 raw at a bodyweight of 120? No, it doesn't, it doesn't help you him or her in there lifts. If it is bogus then it will come back to them, especially with the way so many grippsters are getting together and having workouts together. And the whole thing of video for proof , why are they asking to go into a book or get an award? I think the mods are busy enough and do a great job now, maybe in rare cases we may need a BS clincher for a post but not every single workout post. my 0.02$

Here is the problem with the rule if it is enforced very strict.

A Red Nail is considered lockable by some definitions. If I post in my blog that I bent one am I supposed to get locked? If I created a training log would it get locked?

Now extend this reasoning, I do a 6" in training, a 5" in training, a 4.5" in training. Are these to be locked? What if I do 10 6"? 20 6"?

What happens to people who are at a level where there training itself is potentially world class? Dave doubles a #4, Clay my gosh he does amazing things every time he cams in. One option is to never write it down and prevent others from seeing it. The other is to allow some leeway in the rule that would permit training to be logged.

I think let it be logged, lets be honest if you lie about it who are you really kidding. I write down stuff almost every other day I think are world class feats. But heck that is what you get when you are dealing with the big boys I am hanging around.

Hopefully some day I will do something worth writing about :D instead of crabbing about how I hurt...

Edited by gamidon

I think the bullshit filter should always be on. I don't think the mods need to patrol the logs and determine what is BS or not though.

Here is the problem with the rule if it is enforced very strict.

A Red Nail is considered lockable by some definitions.  If I post in my blog that I bent one am I supposed to get locked?  If I created a training log would it get locked?

Now extend this reasoning, I do a 6" in training, a 5" in training, a 4.5" in training.  Are these to be locked?  What if I do 10 6"? 20 6"?

What happens to people who are at a level where there training itself is potentially world class?  Dave doubles a #4, Clay my gosh he does amazing things every time he cams in.  One option is to never write it down and prevent others from seeing it.  The other is to allow some leeway in the rule that would permit training to be logged.

I think let it be logged, lets be honest if you lie about it who are you really kidding. I write down stuff almost every other day I think are world class feats.  But heck that is what you get when you are dealing with the big boys I am hanging around. 

Hopefully some day I will do something worth writing about :D instead of crabbing about how I hurt...

seeing how easy people are able to take reds..and even cut them (regardless of technique), and do 10 in a workout or more.....is it still considered world class? The #4 list isn't growing like the red list, and the #4 closers are repping it or moving on to harder stuff.

I think it is great to have other grip related lifts in the workout training logs. For newer fellas that don't know what the blood pumping of squats can do for your grip, how are they going to know. Navigate FAQ or just pay attention to the heavy hitters and read what they do. I know that Dave, Clay, Pat, Greg and MANY other bend a lot of thick crap and guys that crush huge grippers and I want to know what else they do to develop their grip. Some guys do just grip stuff to get better at grip, but others do huge DL's, massive squats, and crazy other Odd lifts.

I think since it is Board policy to post videos of feats, it should be honored. Don't take it as an offense. I don't get a chance to cam in with Dave and Clay and Greg but I know that they aren't blowing smoke up everyone's butt when I see 20-30 reds killed. There is just something about seeing things that is cool. Why do we go to grip get together or the Arnold or other cool events, I go to see cool things go down.

There are crazy amazing things that the men on this board are doing right now that would be cool to see videos of, heck I check for new videos daily. I just can't wait to see what gripoholic did while I was away.

The Mods do a great job keepin the board above board. I think when someone asks to see a video of a certain feat, than the fella that has done it should be honored that someone cares enough to ask to see it and not feel like he's gettin punked out. Same thing happens in the gym when someone says, "Man that gripper is impossible to close," and the dude that owns it says, "Nah, see look." and CLICK. The other dude just couldn't fathom it until he saw it and no one was offended.

Just my thoughts...

T

Dont go too over the top with moderators power. Ive seen it happen on other boards where the moderators are very heavy handed.Gets to be like being back at school - you cant do this, you cant do that blah blah.

(it can be very subjective from person to person)

Unless its one of the established,official,and recognized lifts: bench press,squats,deadlifts,clean and jerk,snatch.....IMHO its just a training lift.

If,what is reported, is one of these 5 lifts?and there is an actual world record claim....then you might want to require a video.....other wise?

If SHRUGS work outs start looking like this?

or this?

ask for a video. :shifty

Although I agree seeing videos would be very entertaining.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Wow Tom, thanks for the link. That dude is one big mutha f#%ker, I will get many training ideas and much inspiration from his site no doubt.

Edited by SHRUG

Wow Tom, thanks for the link. That dude is one big mutha f#%ker, I will get many training ideas and much inspiration from his site no doubt.

If i were you?

I'd have him set up a work out.

IMHO he is...or will be the strongest man on earth.DEFINITELY the greatest powerlifter on earth.

You guys are similar size,apparently respond well to high volume.

IF you want to be the best.....learn from the best.

Siders is 'the man'.Period.

His 'baptism by fire'introduction into strongman will be at this years Arnold Classic.

Should be interesting.

(you've got him in the grip department :shifty )

BTW there is a guy on the forum 'skidmark'who trains with siders.

Perhaps PM him?

There are crazy amazing things that the men on this board are doing right now that would be cool to see videos of, heck I check for new videos daily.  I just can't wait to see what gripoholic did while I was away. 

If I made a video there would be a new gripboard rule: No Ugly people may post videos. :tongue

Tom holy shit, did you see the video of him squatting 405 kilos. It looked like a toothpick. :bow:bow:bow:bow

Edited because, while funny, my comments to Gamidon are off topic to the discussion. I will insult him via PM.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Dont go too over the top with moderators power. Ive seen it happen on other boards where the moderators are very heavy handed.Gets to be like being back at school - you cant do this, you cant do that blah blah.

Believe me, the last thing mods should have to do is babysit every post. I personally don't do that. Besides, on really good forums members behave, are respectful of others, and self-police themselves.

< < MY OPINION IS THAT WE HAVE 75 PERCENT GRIP RELATED ARTICLES AND 25 PERCENT LIFTS AND STRONGMAN STUFF AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY THE REASON IS ALL OLD TIME STRONG MEN MADE GRIP OR DISCOVERED GRIP EQUIPMENT WHICH LEAD TO GRIP FEATS AND TRAINING ARTICLES THAT WE TRY TO COPY OR BEAT OR MATCH BUT WE NEED TO MORE :calm COMPASSIONATE TO OUR GRIP BUDDIES BECAUSE WE DID NOT SEE A VIDEO BE PATIENT AND PROOF MAY COME AROUND AND BITE US IN THE BUT :D

BS claims tend to be like steroid discussion here. Mum is the word and EVERYONE is pissed. I use my log to keep track of what I do so I don't have to write down the stuff in the middle of a workout and can still keep a journal and I would be very dissapointed if only my grip workouts could be posted. I thought it had been previously decided that the burden of proof was not required in training logs due to world class performances popping up all the time in workouts once the person is capible of achieving them. I saw a few things today posted on the board, that scored a bit too high on my BS monitor that were not related to grip, but I believe those who make such claims and those who believe them will sooner or later make fools of themselves. I agree with Clay's first post.

Just let people lie about what they are lifting so they can feel good about themselves, lol. Eventually they will be found out and never be taken serious again.

I saw a few things today posted on the board, that scored a bit too high on my BS monitor that were not related to grip, but I believe those who make such claims and those who believe them will sooner or later make fools of themselves.

One of the main reasons I like the Mash Monster certification process.

There is video of the entire cert. Even the box opening must be done on video.

Totally legit from start to finish. You can't pull the BS card on this. :happy

Well,

I like the board the way it is. And I'm not sure how I feel about proving everything I do. If it's grip related - sure, why not. But I have been lifting weights for 34 years and I have not slowed down. I still hit PR's often and I lift pretty heavy weights in some areas. And I sometimes find it annoying that I can't mention something that I have done or some of the PR's I have hit without providing "proof" by video or something. I don't even own a video camera anymore! How am I going to "prove it"? So, I often do not mention it. And if you can't mention it to brothers who are into the same thing, then who can we share our accomplishments with? The general public could care less about lifters and their lifts.

My point is this, if I hit a big PR in the Ez-curl, or Wrist-curl, I'm pretty darn happy about it. I think, "I want to tell some guys on the GripBoard - but wait! I didn't not get a picture or a video." It's just like the other night. I workout alone, I didn't plan on hitting a PR (so the video crew was not on standby) but the Center plate loaded W-curls felt great and I kept nailing them and "bam" a new PR. And some people may consider some of my lifts world class (I don't, but who knows who would). So, I can't talk about it. So I tell my wife, who says, "Great honey." as she turns another page in Woman's World Magazine. I mean, my point is, I don't live with a video in the gym to catch PR's that are very heavy or very impressive just so I can tape them and send them to "The GripBoard". But when they do happen, I would like to think I could share them with a group of people that are interested in the same thing

One time I posted a comment where I said that I used to be able to bench over 330 pounds for reps and sets with nothing on but a tank top. Bill PMed me right away. Short and sweet, he said, "Send me the tape!"

So I did. That one I did have on tape.

Over the years I have opened my doors to enough people who have seen my lifts and who have armwrestled me, including just recently, a GripBoard member who we all know and respect. I did some lifts and we armwrestled, and I think he could back me up on a few things. But the point is, I don't what to have to prove something EVERY TIME I DO IT.

Oh well, sorry for going on. I think we should leave it like it is.

Sixgun...