Licensed To Rip

foggymountainmuscle

Hey guys me and my brother were cleaning out this old lady's barn, looking for chicken nest boxes. I came across about 30 some old license plates (from the 70s mostly). I tried one out, and plan to put more time in it tomarrow but I was wondering if anyone has any technique pointers. ( I performed a search, I know this has been talked about but I searched alot and found nothing.) I tried tearing it like a phone book and it didn't seem to work, but maybe I'm just not strong enough. I also didn't want to fold in half a few dozen times until it just broke on it's own like a cheapskate would do. I know this is suposed to be a tough feat of strength, any ways I could make it easier on myself to help work up to an untampered one?

most people I have seen do this cheat by cutting a small notch in it to get it started, you might start with this method and gradually make notch smaller as you get better at it, eventually you may be able to do it legit?????/Brett

I saw a picture of a guy tearing one before. He didn't tear it like a phone book, with both hands fingers down. He had it close to his face and had each hand facing each other, and he just pushed his hands past each other.

Alright, I went through 3 of them about 3 hours ago and I did learn alot. The over under grip is the workhorse. This allows you to apply your pressure in the smallest area over the edge. In addition to forcing down on the plate with this grip you need to twist outwardly a bit. The double under or double over is needed to reset the plate so you can go again to make another attempt at ripping them because sometimes sections buckle out and inward which may interfear with where you are making the tear. I found that the first break in the metal is not at the edge, but a little hole below the part of the edge you are trying to tear. The first tear is from this hole, to the edge. A secon tear then has to be started from where the hole was down to the rest of the plate. Unlike a phonebook or cards, you're not home free until you are past half way down the plate. I'm sure not a whole lot is involved for someone who can rip one in a matter of seconds but I hope my methodology can help out some of you guys who haven't tried it before. Use a good pair of leather gloves, the edge can really bite you.

I have seen two techniques with plates. One is placed on the knee, viced down with one hand and pulled/ripped with the other. Pulling it up toward your chest. The technique I like the best is a double push with the wrist rolling down at the same time. Speed is the key to ripping. Pop the wrist down fast. Your left hand is going to your right and right hand is going to your left. It is held up about chest high. Please wear gloves and watch that the plate does not cut your arms. One tip that I learned the hard way put the plate at the bottom of your left thumb joint this should keep the thumb from being pushed back and hurting it. I will have same cool ripping on my next DVD. Greg Amidon has seen some of the different ways I have ripped them. Its fun stuff!