New To Bending?

EricMilfeld

OK so here's me looking mildly retarded struggling with an anorexic shiny bastard and fumbling with my bunched up T-Shirt :D

My link

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if there is a long list of bars in order of strength from easiest to hardest (including HRS bolts and nails..)I'm gonna start bending and i would like to find out where i am in this list so i can progress smartly and stop buying useless quantities of stuff i cant tackle yet.

So far i cant do anything double overhand..i do everything double under and reverse..so far, i can manage, at most, a 1/4'' x 5'' HRS.

Thanks.

OK so here's me looking mildly retarded struggling with an anorexic shiny bastard and fumbling with my bunched up T-Shirt :D

My link

Barehand DU kink on that pc was impressive. We usually have wraps for the kink, sweep and the crush. If you are going to barehand it, you can also work on only barehand the whole time. But that is dangerous and hurts alot more. Keep it up, good job

Thanks Mike! I have since grown a brain and got myself some wraps. They are just from my old workpants, but they give very adequate protection (1 1/8" diameter).

Also I have been using the AZ Progressions. Did a lame curved graph and according to that I did (an approximate) 262lb bend of a 1/4" CRS @ 6 5/8" length.

Wow. Does THAT ever put things into perspective for me. All you guys are BEASTS!!!

Next goal: 6 1/4"!!!! :D

Cheers,

Korn

I am relatively new to grip work (4-5months). I plan on starting to bend after I reach some other strength goals that I am focusing on at the moment (deadlifts, one arm chins, front levers, full range hspu, weighted pistols). I am currently doing some specialized grip work. Pinching with a 2x4 block, levering a 4' dowel with ankle weights taped to the end (front and back levers), rolling thick handle rows/pull ups, eagle loop chins and single finger lifts and the occasional heavy (for me) wrist curls. I was wondering if this is good to prepare my hands and wrists for my bending in the future? Is there anything I should add or subtract from the routine? I own IM grippers, but I'm not really using them, should I be?

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet!!! I did it! I kinked a 7" piece of 5/16" CRS 6 degrees (Double Underhand)!!!! I thought it was a conspiracy and it was impossible.. Something to be said about being persistent! This is so awesome! When I first bought the 5/16's and cut them up into 7" pieces I never would have thought that I could ever even budge them! I'm just aiming for 30 degrees for now. :D

Cheers,

Korn

• 6 months later...

A little thread revival...

I started grippers about a month ago and as of this week I have started bending. Grip stuff is contagious. Anyways...

I played around with some 3/16" CRS and was able to do 5" pretty easily. I tried 1/4"x7" HRS and barely made a kink. Then I did a 40d nail. That was a max effort. I really did well when I wrapped the wraps tighter and used a bit of chalk. I think I could go back to that 1/4" piece now that I have an idea on how to bend. I see progression charts but they don't say much about the beginner stuff. How do these pieces compare to typical nails, green, yellow, 60d etc?

A little thread revival...

I started grippers about a month ago and as of this week I have started bending. Grip stuff is contagious. Anyways...

I played around with some 3/16" CRS and was able to do 5" pretty easily. I tried 1/4"x7" HRS and barely made a kink. Then I did a 40d nail. That was a max effort. I really did well when I wrapped the wraps tighter and used a bit of chalk. I think I could go back to that 1/4" piece now that I have an idea on how to bend. I see progression charts but they don't say much about the beginner stuff. How do these pieces compare to typical nails, green, yellow, 60d etc?

The 1/4 x 7" HRS I bought from FBBC awhile back was a lot easier than the yellows I was doing at the time. Your bend on it probally had more to do with wrapping it loosely than strength. Once you fix that and get your form down, you'll notice a huge difference! I've found a huge variance in the 60d nails I've done. Some have felt like the 1/4" HRS and some have been like a hard 1/4" grade 5. Good luck with it.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Never tried bending but I came across 4 feet of 1/4 hard rolled steel & 4 feet of 5/16 stock also. I plan to cut it up and give it a go. Any advice as to what I could use for pads?? I can't think of anything right off the bat. What length should I cut it. Maybe 6' inch pieces? I'd like to try this asap. Thanks.

Hi all. Never tried bending but I came across 4 feet of 1/4 hard rolled steel & 4 feet of 5/16 stock also. I plan to cut it up and give it a go. Any advice as to what I could use for pads?? I can't think of anything right off the bat. What length should I cut it. Maybe 6' inch pieces? I'd like to try this asap. Thanks.

Go to Michaels and get leather. Cut eat pad into 4"x12".

• 1 month later...

Hey All, I see this thread has been kinda quite for awhile, but thought I would give it a go. I'm new to Bending and have just worked myself up to A 60D nail. I have killed 2 in the last two days.

The question I have is that I want to bend more and do it more frequently.

How do I condition for this? Right now 1 60 D nail is about max for me.

Thanks!! Tom

Hey All, I see this thread has been kinda quite for awhile, but thought I would give it a go. I'm new to Bending and have just worked myself up to A 60D nail. I have killed 2 in the last two days.

The question I have is that I want to bend more and do it more frequently.

How do I condition for this? Right now 1 60 D nail is about max for me.

Thanks!! Tom

Get a bolt cutter and start cutting the 60d's down to 5.5" and 5". Go to hardware stores and look for 6x1/4 Grade 5 bolts

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything BETWEEN a 1/4 hrs and 5/16 hrs? I'm bending a 6 inch 1/4 hrs in a matter of seconds but when I tried a 7 inch 5/16 it didn't budge. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Is there anything BETWEEN a 1/4 hrs and 5/16 hrs? I'm bending a 6 inch 1/4 hrs in a matter of seconds but when I tried a 7 inch 5/16 it didn't budge. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

I would give you some good advice, but I've recently learnt that I'm not allowed to do that

I would give you some good advice, but I've recently learnt that I'm not allowed to do that

Sorry to hear that. Your advice is some of the best out there.

For those that don't know David is an outstanding bender and he has helped me tremendously.

Grab some 6"x1/4" Grade 5 bolts and bend a ton of those. If you have a Fastenal store nearby order drill rod oil-hardened kind. So many sizes to work your way up on.

If you are looking for a free beginner bending program, Ben Edwards has an excellent one right here: http://www.dieselcrew.com/beginner-steel-bending-program.

This goes over strengthening the three main techniques and selecting the proper materials to train on among other things: http://www.dieselcrew.com/beginner-steel-bending-program.

Jedd

1/4 CRS, 1/4 Grd 2 bolts, most 60 D Nails :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I have been pretty steady killing the Ironmind blue nail and 60D Nails. I started cutting 1/2 inch of the 60D to try and make it harder.

Is there something common I can get thats a little further up the progession list?

Thanks for the help (In adavance)

Tom