2004 December - A Gripmas Carol - Sean Dockery

Sean Dockery

Ohio Gripmas Carol Get Together by climber511

Dec 2004 get together was held at climber511’s garage. Eleven gripsters were there and had a great time, or at least I did. There was at least one of about everything a lifter could ever want there. With that many peoplke moving iron all at the same time in one garage, I’m sure a lot happened that I didn’t see but Nick had a camcorder going and got at least most of it. Everybody wrote down their PR’s and things they were happy to have done at the end. I’m just going to list what everybody wrote down. Some of these feats I know need witness or video proof but I’m sure that’s available.

Jeremy Sipple – Zercher DL 264# New PR

2 25# plate pinch

Eli Keiner – 2 Blob “cylinders at same time, one weighs 65#, one weighs 70#

Bent a few nails and a horseshoe – the horse shoe bend was the only time I saw Eli huffing and puffing.

184# one arm snatch – he had 198# over head and just lost it forward

2 – 45# plate pinch each hand – he should have tried both hands at the same time, I think he can do it easily.

Rolling Thunder 175 right – 150 left at the same time

Closed 2004 COC #3

One arm snatched a 140# keg and caught it on his shoulder

Fellows, I’ve got to say it – Eli is a beast – keep watching this guy. He also Apollon Axle DL – double overhand about 400# and broke 440# off the floor. 300# V-bar too.

Cliff Keiner – York Blob clean and press

Inch DL

200# Rolling Thunder

Jake Brooks

One arm snatch of 154# new PR

Rolling Thunder of 160# New PR

York Blob left hand – PR

65# cylinder blob – PR left

V-bar 225#

COC #3 Right hand

120# anvil Horn both hands

140# two hand keg snatch by handles

Bent a 60d common nail

T Sands

Apollon Axle DL 275# double overhand PR

V-bar 250# New PR

158# stone to shoulder

120# Anvil lift Right and left hand PR

100# headstrap lift PR

Sean Dockery

Bent press of 80# stone – impressive lift!

Apollon Axle double overhand – 319#

York Blob toss from hand to hand – 4 reps

Chris Rice (climber511)

Apollon Axle of 340# - had 352 to knees and couldn’t finish it

120# Anvil by horn right and left hand

120# Anvil by the other end right handed – kind of a flat horn shape

V-bar left hand 275# - right hand 300# new PR

Lifted 50# York Blob – first time ever and I got it 3 times – Happy gripster!

Tried COC #3 on tape and got real close, hoping to get it at the next get together , I’ll try it before I get so tired.

Now these guys did a lot of other lifts that to me were pretty out there, but if it wasn’t a PR, and it didn’t get written down, I didn’t report it. There were also 4 other guys there and they didn’t write anything down. I hope Nick has some film on them to show. I remember Nick did 2-45’s too but I think he’s done it before. All in all, my first Ohio grip get together sure won’t be my last. It was a really fun day!!!!!!

Everybody who attended, weigh in with your impressions and lifts. Don't be shy.

sounds like good times.

Ohio Gripmas Carol Get Together by climber511

Dec 2004 get together was held at climber511’s garage. Eleven gripsters were there and had a great time, or at least I did. There was at least one of about everything a lifter could ever want there. With that many peoplke moving iron all at the same time in one garage, I’m sure a lot happened that I didn’t see but Nick had a camcorder going and got at least most of it. Everybody wrote down their PR’s and things they were happy to have done at the end. I’m just going to list what everybody wrote down. Some of these feats I know need witness or video proof but I’m sure that’s available.

Jeremy Sipple – Zercher DL 264# New PR

2 25# plate pinch

Eli Keiner – 2 Blob “cylinders at same time, one weighs 65#, one weighs 70#

Bent a few nails and a horseshoe – the horse shoe bend was the only time I saw Eli huffing and puffing.

184# one arm snatch – he had 198# over head and just lost it forward

2 – 45# plate pinch each hand – he should have tried both hands at the same time, I think he can do it easily.

Rolling Thunder 175 right – 150 left at the same time

Closed 2004 COC #3

One arm snatched a 140# keg and caught it on his shoulder

Fellows, I’ve got to say it – Eli is a beast – keep watching this guy. He also Apollon Axle DL – double overhand about 400# and broke 440# off the floor. 300# V-bar too.

Cliff Keiner – York Blob clean and press

Inch DL

200# Rolling Thunder

Jake Brooks

One arm snatch of 154# new PR

Rolling Thunder of 160# New PR

York Blob left hand – PR

65# cylinder blob – PR left

V-bar 225#

COC #3 Right hand

120# anvil Horn both hands

140# two hand keg snatch by handles

Bent a 60d common nail

T Sands

Apollon Axle DL 275# double overhand PR

V-bar 250# New PR

158# stone to shoulder

120# Anvil lift Right and left hand PR

100# headstrap lift PR

Sean Dockery

Bent press of 80# stone – impressive lift!

Apollon Axle double overhand – 319#

York Blob toss from hand to hand – 4 reps

Chris Rice (climber511)

Apollon Axle of 340# - had 352 to knees and couldn’t finish it

120# Anvil by horn right and left hand

120# Anvil by the other end right handed – kind of a flat horn shape

V-bar left hand 275# - right hand 300# new PR

Lifted 50# York Blob – first time ever and I got it 3 times – Happy gripster!

Tried COC #3 on tape and got real close, hoping to get it at the next get together , I’ll try it before I get so tired.

Now these guys did a lot of other lifts that to me were pretty out there, but if it wasn’t a PR, and it didn’t get written down, I didn’t report it. There were also 4 other guys there and they didn’t write anything down. I hope Nick has some film on them to show. I remember Nick did 2-45’s too but I think he’s done it before. All in all, my first Ohio grip get together sure won’t be my last. It was a really fun day!!!!!!

Everybody who attended, weigh in with your impressions and lifts.  Don't be shy.

Cris Rice wrote that report. I just copied it over here. I'm still looking for the words to describe what went on Saturday.

Video should go out to Bill today or tomorrow.

Some pretty impressive numbers here. :mosher

Especially that multiple Blob toss from hand to hand from Sean. :bow

Great Guys, Great Lifting, and Great Food.

First things first Chris Rice has got to have one of the coolest home gyms. Very high quality equipment, and all of it homemade. I doubt you could tell the difference between a commercial piece and the stuff he's made. Keep an eye on his website. Chris has said he'll be putting up articles describing how to make nearly everything he's done.

Besides having great equipment, Chris is also very hospitable, and deceptively strong (my kind of guy). He pulled 300lbs on his v-bar (non-LGC replica for those who care), and deadlifted the 50 BLOB. All the while showing everyone around his gym and explaining his various pieces, and how to make them. He also makes a mean Bratwurst.

Jake Brooks brought his kin. And if you were at NOS2 you know that these boys are strong. While putting together the video clips, the idea came up several times to rename the gathering the Kiener show.

Everytime you turned around there was a line to do something. Jake would pull on a weight, then Eli, then Cliff. On and on all day long. Some people have a gift for strength, and a big pile of it is in those three boys.

The Rosedaul brothers are good friends and it's always a pleasure to hang around with them. Stewart has that bulldog tenacity. He just won't give up on something. He grabbed a horseshoe and started wrestling with it. Rather than look thru the pile of shoes to find a nice easy one to warm up one he fought that same shoe for the better part of an hour off and on. His Blob deadlift was one of the more personally gratifying moments of the afternoon.

Nicki spent most of the time recording the insanity admonishing everyone to "squeeze hard".

Travis Sands has gotten much stronger in the past 6 months. I think married life is doing alright by him.

We also spread the Gripboard love to a couple non-members and one new guy. Dan Davis and Nick Cox are friends from Ohio State. Dan stayed right in the v-bar hunt all the way up to 300 lbs. This was the first time he had ever seen such a thing. He also pulled the BLOB up to about knee height this was his second time touching a blockweight. Nick did some pinching and squeezing of grippers, and spelled Nicki on the camera. Jeremy Sipple was the new guy, just joined the board and I hope he felt welcomed.

Plans are already in the works for another griptogether in January. Jake Brooks is hosting. Date and time TBA.

Edited by Sean Dockery

to any of the guys that were at Gripmass carol I can put the raw footage on a dvd for you if you want it. I need to work on getting tricky with music and all that for now i only have a dvd copy of the tape i have. For the guys at turkey Day+1 I have a nifty little windos media player clip Doc and i put together with music and stuff. It is on a cd rom and can only be played on your computer. about 11 min long all the highlights. If you want ether of thes or both pm me with your addy and what you want. Thanks guys. :D

The gripmas carol was one of the happiest days of mytraining life.!!! Eveyone there was strong as hell. I was humbled by all of the feats of strength that were performed.

Thanks Doc,and Dan for showing me the thumbless reverse thick bar curls and getting me to the Gmas Carol. Also thanks doc for telling me about the 100 rep thick bar clean and press challenge. Thanks to everyone else for their hospitality and no nonsense attitude when it comes to lifting. This will help take my grip training to the next level. I went and benched the next day and i did not want to let go of the bar due to the pain in my forearms!! :rock I have been keeping my eye on rocks while i am driving so i can train for the 158 and eventually the 245 that Eli has. Ialready found a nice solid cinder block that weighs about 50-60lbs that is hard for me to liftover head butwill be a nice stepping stone to the 158.( no pun intended) I also bent my first timber tie.It about took evrything i had but i got it. Which was totally awesome. I hung it on my bedroom wall.Well, i fell i rambled on enough!! cant wait to lift with you guys again.

jeremy

to any of the guys that were at Gripmass carol I can put the raw footage on a dvd for you if you want it.  I need to work on getting tricky with music and all that for now i only have a dvd copy of the tape i have.  For the guys at turkey Day+1 I have a nifty little windos media player clip Doc and i put together with music and stuff.  It is on a cd rom and can only be played on your computer.  about 11 min long all the highlights.  If you want ether of thes or both pm me with your addy and what you want. Thanks guys. :D

Nick - I'd love to have a DVD copy of what all you shot here at the Gripmas Carol event. Let me know what I owe you for it. If you lost my address, PM me please. I saw the stuff you and Sean put up in the video section - awesome stuff. Really nice job.

Jeremy, you stud, worked out the next day? No way for me, I was trashed.

Just to add my lifts 140 keg overhead for 5 reps

3 finger blob rt

120 anvil by the horn both hands

245 stone to sholder

rolling thunder 175

#3 really close

158 rock over head

245 stone lap to standing 5 reps

and by the way those Brooks and Keiner boys are beasts!! :bow

Also my bot Stewart Rosendaul Got the blob for the first time ever!!!! :bow only been working at for a mounth! :bow Watch out!

nickr104 - man I'm sorry for not posting all the stuff you did but you didn't write it all down and I was afraid to try and do it from memory and mess it up. Didn't you pinch 2 - 45s also?

It is no big deal chris. I knew i forgot to write them down. The women foke wanted us back home so we had to cut out. :blush Thanks thoe. :D hope to see you next mounth with that #3 closed. :rock

• 3 weeks later...

Great work guys! Some great lifts.

Jeremy, what is the 100 rep thick bar clean and press challenge? Mainly, what weight is on the bar, and what diameter bar?

Great work guys!  Some great lifts.

Bencrush,

Doc, told me about this on the way home from the Gripmas carol. He said that he is going to clen and press a certain weight 100 times.  Obvoiuslt this will proabbly take a couple of hours to complete.

I have not tried it yet, but when i do i am going to use the  apollons axle with a 4l5lb pound plate on each side and see what happens. so th etotal bar weight should weigh about 123lbs. Obviosly you adjust the weight for your own strength level.

Jeremy

Jeremy, what is the 100 rep thick bar clean and press challenge?  Mainly, what weight is on the bar, and what diameter bar?