Number Of Reps To Gain Stegth On Coc Grippers

Jeremy Sipple

hi i was wondering how many reps should i perform to maximize my gripping power> i currently do 4x3 with a trainer and 4x3 ,with a 1. I perform this rotine once of twice a week but my gains are slow. i was wondering if anyone has any advice?

thanks

Jeremy

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nagual

• John Wood

• Bill Piche

• speedy

There are a lot of good workouts and ideas in the 'Workout Reports" section.

Check there and see if you can get some more ideas. You can also try KTA.

Edited by pdoire

to gain strength you need to make your workouts progressivly harder.

performing the same number of reps as last time will maintain your strength.

try to increase the number of reps or sets, add negatives into your programme, use strap holds and increase the weight you use, but do something that makes each workout harder than the last.

cheack out some of the training journals on the board if you are still stuck for ideas

hope that helps

Gains are slow to no gain just doing reps.

Gain however are made with strenght training like the Strap hold,KTA program

if want strenght gain in record gain and no BS grip training.

I can customize your strap hold that if want strenght gain to go to the roof.

Is your goal to close a harder gripper or be able to do X number of reps on a gripper you can already close?

Low reps (1-5) with LOTS of sets, and far from failure proved to be very efficient during my gripper training. KTA worked very very well too. I went from barely being able to close the #1 to the #3.

Be open minded and try to find what works for you AT THE MOMENT (something may not work now but work later in your training). But there's a lot more to gripper training tahn just reps: you can do sweep work, inverted work, last two fingers work, strapholds, overcrushes, beyond the range training, no set and so on...

yeah, you need to progressivly add more workload to your rotine.

and when you can rep the 1 with ease get a #2 or beter yet get it now. then you can do negitives with it.

and welcome to the board.

Repping grippers is a waste of time IMO unless that is your goal. Do single rep negatives on a harder gripper. When you get the #2 closed, give the KTA program a try. Build up the volume and intensity, don't just go nutty with it or you might injure yourself.

Get the beef builder super advance. It is stronger then the #1 ironmind

gripper. And force close the bbsa.

Question how many rep can you do with the #1 ironmind.

I had only 2 weeks gripper training when I started if you follow the volume jumps

exactly as outlined you should be OK...Do flexor work and learn about active recovery...

Low reps (1-5) with LOTS of sets, and far from failure proved to be very efficient during my gripper training. KTA worked very very well too. I went from barely being able to close the #1 to the #3.

Be open minded and try to find what works for you AT THE MOMENT (something may not work now but work later in your training).  But there's a lot more to gripper training tahn just reps: you can do sweep work, inverted work, last two fingers work, strapholds, overcrushes, beyond the range training, no set and so on...

And since you are a celebrity(i.e. closed the #3), what is your name?

We can look it up, ya know.

And since you are a celebrity(i.e. closed the #3), what is your name?

We can look it up, ya know.

Quit being a jerk.

Alot of people here can close the three without getting certified.

Edited by Darco

Just two weeks ago I changed my workout on my CoC's and I already see a huge improvement.

Powerball on each arm for 5 minutes as a warm up.

#1 2 sets of 10 reps

#2 2 sets of 5 reps

#1 2 Sets of negative as long as I can.

#2 2 Sets of negative as long as I can.

Sunday to Tuesday, then Thursday & Friday.

My only issue with some of those books is that their recommendations require so much gear, more than I want to put into this. Then there are others that are hardcore. Do what works for you; as long as you squeeze hard, and stay consistent you will see improvement.

Edited by Iman74

Repping grippers is a waste of time IMO unless that is your goal. Do single rep negatives on a harder gripper. When you get the #2 closed, give the KTA program a try. Build up the volume and intensity, don't just go nutty with it or you might injure yourself.

Thank you Steve for providing a direct and intelligent answer. It is almost exactly what I would have said (ya beat me to it!). :)

Milk, and Syber,

Looking at my workout schedule (scroll up a bit), do you think that is a waiste of time?

Thank you Steve for providing a direct and intelligent answer. It is almost exactly what I would have said (ya beat me to it!). :)

No program is a waste of time as long as you are working hard and making gains. The only thing I would say is that you want to perform negatives with a gripper than you cannot currently close. Most would call what you have listed "timed holds", also very effective for developing crushing strength but easy for me to go stale on.

hI thanks every one for all of the advice!!!

My goals with the gripper is to move onto a #2 ,3, etc. I had no idea about beef buiders. I will look into that also. On a good day i can crush the #1 about 3 times. Recently i have had to do forced reps to even do that my problem is with the last 1'2 inch or so. Any advice for that weakness

Thanks ,

Jeremy

I thought negatives were holding the gripper as long as you can till you can't. That is what I do with #1 and #2 two sets with each and with a minute break between doing with each hand.

No program is a waste of time as long as you are working hard and making gains.  The only thing I would say is that you want to perform negatives with a gripper than you cannot currently close.  Most would call what you have listed "timed holds", also very effective for developing crushing strength but easy for me to go stale on.

A negetive is taking a gripper that you cannot close with one hand and force closing it and fighting the opening for as long as possible. This way you only perform the negetive portion of the close.