More Goodies

John Beatty

Got some 3/8" X 10" grade 2 bolts today. Plus some 5/16 x 5" grade 2's & a few other goodies. One of my favorite stores expanded it's bolt section.

John, will you attempt a bend with the 3/8x10" bolt? I'm curious as to how tough they are.

Bending 10" unbraced would have to be very akward, but I'd be willing to give it a go. I think I may order some of those next...

I tried one braced & got about 20 degrees. right at a spot I couldn't take it any further no matter what I tried. Pretty cool, though.

Bending 10" unbraced would have to be very akward, but I'd be willing to give it a go.  I think I may order some of those next...

John, I haven't heard of anyone bending spikes (8" or longer) unbraced. It seems to be commonly accepted that spikes can and should be braced. For me personally, an attempt of an ubraced, double overhand bend of a spike would be an invite for a chest injury. I've only been at the spikes for a very short time, but I've already discovered that some of the tougher 3/8" steels can be incredibly tough at even 10 and 12" lengths regardless of how you brace it.

How's your hand John?

Pretty good. Granulation is taking place, have actually changed the dressing as I need to & kept the cream on it. It's about halfway closed in. I event trained tues & was actually able to flip the 1180 & the 1350 with very little pain & it only bled a tiny bit. Going to make a good looking scar, but not as bad as I thought. It's kind of interesting to watch it close in. Usually I don't get to see the progress like this, just get the patient stable & send them home. Thanks for asking, by the way.